DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

After the first weekend I thought The Force Awakens was a goner but now End Game's domestic box office is looking like it might not reach it. For example,  days 4, 5 and 6 were all higher for Star Wars.  But I expect Friday to be fucking massive so we'll see. 

On the worldwide front End Game is going to smash The Force Awakens I am unsure if it'll reach Avatar for the top spot. 

On the Phase IV discussion:  None of the movies have began shooting yet.  Eternals and Shang Chi are expected to start in the Fall.  Doctor Strange 2 is expected to start shooting by the end of the year.  They are saying Black Panther 2 could begin shooting by the end of the year but that sounds optimistic and Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 for right now is not scheduled for shooting until Gunn completes The Suicide Squad which is scheduled to begin by the end of the year.  

I think the Phase IV slate will look like this..  

Black Widow (2020) 

Eternals (2020) 

Shang Chi (2020) 

Doctor Strange 2 (2021) 

Black Panther 2 (2021) 

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 (2021) 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 2:19 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It makes a kind of sense in the way they explained it. You have to squint and fill in some blanks sometimes, but it's fine. But even with the given explanation, some people still seem to be trying to use Back to the Future or Terminator logic on this. It's not going to work. 

It cracks me up because they explicitly said it didn’t work like those specific movies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

On the Phase IV discussion:  None of the movies have began shooting yet.  Eternals and Shang Chi are expected to start in the Fall.  Doctor Strange 2 is expected to start shooting by the end of the year.  They are saying Black Panther 2 could begin shooting by the end of the year but that sounds optimistic and Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 for right now is not scheduled for shooting until Gunn completes The Suicide Squad which is scheduled to begin by the end of the year.  

I think the Phase IV slate will look like this..  

Black Widow (2020) 

Eternals (2020) 

Shang Chi (2020) 

Doctor Strange 2 (2021) 

Black Panther 2 (2021) 

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 (2021) 

I've wanted a Black Widow solo for some time. Better late than never. I'll see Eternals and Shang Chi for completions sake but have little interest.

Here's what I had to say about Phase Four of the MCU:

On 4/28/2019 at 8:40 AM, The Natural said:

I'm really looking forward to the announcement of future Marvel Studios films as Kevin Feige said we'd get after Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home. Phase Three films were revealed in an October 2014 press conference by Feige. I see:

Doctor Strange 2

Black Panther 2

Spider-Man 3 though that's dependant on the shared deal with Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures. 

Black Widow.

Captain Marvel 2.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ace said:

I think Eternals is a red herring.

That seems pretty dangerous with some of the casting information and the fact that they want to lead with a LGBTQ character. And Chloé Zhao directing. Sure, it could be some different movie instead, but you'd have to tick a bunch of boxes.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

As far as box office goes, there's still a reason why each of the last three all-time domestic champion was an end of the year release.

The only real competition it has until May 24 would be Detective Pikachu and John Wick. (I'm figuring Aladdin is more oomphy than Detective Pikachu but I may be off on that buzz).

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

As far as box office goes, there's still a reason why each of the last three all-time domestic champion was an end of the year release.

Holiday legs as they call it. Less competition too.  On Detective Pikachu,  there are some people who swear it is going to be massive. I know there was a lot of hype surrounding the first trailer but it's a franchise that I do not fully understand so we'll see.  

On Eternals,  I don't think it's a red herring I think Marvel believes and for good reason that they can turn any of their properties into a hit. Unfortunately,  I think X-Men/Fantastic Four is years away.  Like, I'm not expecting an X-Men picture until 2022 at the earliest. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Like, I'm not expecting an X-Men picture until 2022 at the earliest. 

Good. We've seen what happens when X-Men movies are made in a rush. Taking time to do it right is the better idea.

Just now, Matt D said:

2023 sounds even better. Let's get through this whole phase with as many obscure characters as possible, then bring in the Fox characters for Phase 5.

This is how Feige made it sound it a previous interview. There's just too much housekeeping and other stuff to get through for this phase that they can't even think about planning for X-Men, Fantastic Four, or anything else.

What I would at least like to see moving forward is a tease of the new big bad or a new overarching storyline. For me, that was one of the biggest draws and I think a lot of others would say the same as well. You see people say that this is just the most expensive tv series ever, but it really was. It was fairly episodic in nature and it all built to one huge moment. It also feels like it took way longer than 10 years to get to Infinity War so I guess if Far From Home kicks things off, I'd like to see something teased at the end of that similar to Nick Fury showing up at Tony Stark's home in the stinger for Iron Man.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

2023 sounds even better. Let's get through this whole phase with as many obscure characters as possible, then bring in the Fox characters for Phase 5.

That's another impressive thing by Marvel Studios starting up without the rights to their big guns in Spider-Man and the X-Men. Marvel Studios began with Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America then taking risks with lesser known properties in Guardians of the Galaxy/Ant-Man.

Yeah, housekeeping and dealing with the aftermath of Thanos, specifically that Earth doesn't have "The Avengers" anymore (their base was nuked, Banner and Barton are likely retiring, and the remaining ones is a pretty C level lineup), is the best call.  However, the end of the Phase seems as good a time as any to possibly slide in the Fantastic Four to "replace" The Avengers until Sam is fully ready to bring up a team.  And even then, there might not be a need for a team until another Omega level threat shows back up, 

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

BTW, regarding the people that returned, imagine you're a parent or a husband or wife and you come back from the snap and you think your kid or spouse were snapped away too, but in those 5 years, they died.

Have a good day everyone!

Surely a bus driver somewhere was snapped which brought about non-snap deaths of people on board.

The implications of this five-year unsnapping are gonna be such a downer that I don't expect them to be explored much in future films. The characters who matter are going to get special treatment, like all of Peter Parker's social group conveniently getting snapped and unsnapped so they remain the same age. A lot of the nobodies will have had their lives upended.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, housekeeping and dealing with the aftermath of Thanos, specifically that Earth doesn't have "The Avengers" anymore (their base was nuked, Banner and Barton are likely retiring, and the remaining ones is a pretty C level lineup), is the best call.  However, the end of the Phase seems as good a time as any to possibly slide in the Fantastic Four to "replace" The Avengers until Sam is fully ready to bring up a team.  And even then, there might not be a need for a team until another Omega level threat shows back up, 

Yeah, I think it's a great time to bring in FF to fill that hole, especially considering they're the team who have often handled Marvel's big cosmic troubles and that side of the MCU has really expanded in the last phase. That could also bring Galactus as the next overarching threat. Although Earth getting eaten seems kind of bush league compared to half or all of the universe's life getting dusted. It's a hard act to follow.

Definitely no room yet for X-Men.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Throat said:

Yeah, I think it's a great time to bring in FF to fill that hole, especially considering they're the team who have often handled Marvel's big cosmic troubles and that side of the MCU has really expanded in the last phase. That could also bring Galactus as the next overarching threat. Although Earth getting eaten seems kind of bush league compared to half or all of the universe's life getting dusted. It's a hard act to follow.

Definitely no room yet for X-Men.

Best case is getting the FF in to "takeover" for the Avengers is even if you end up with Galactus as the Team Up flick of FF and New Avengers 4-5 years from now, having the FF puts Doom in play, and really, Following up the Infinity Arc with the Doom Arc would be awesome.  

That, and Doom and Annihilus are the only two Ultimate Threats I can see covering a whole arc without dipping into the X-verse, which needs a cooling off period before Disney resurrects them.

• Like 1

So we had Ant-Man, and then Ant-Man and The Wasp, so maybe...to keep the naming silly, Ant-Man and The Wasp and The Fantastic Four? I know there's probably more demand for the X-Men, specifically Wolverine, but I'm so tired of the X-Men. This is likely just a reflection of my comic reading habits because I was always more into the Avengers than the X-Men, and now in later years, thanks to Hickman, I really want the Fantastic Four done right. Plus, the Fantastic Four feel like they fit into the MCU live a glove, like, they all should have been with the MCU from the beginning. 

As for the next big, big bad, I'm on the fence between Galactus and Doom. Given how much Josh Brolin nailed Thanos and brought that character to life, Doom may have a lot to live up to.

Or, if anything, I could see Doom being the next Loki where he mucks around in multiple films or is even the main villain one of the movies, but Galactus winds up being the top tier threat. 

From everything I've read and listened to it sounds like the MCU at least for Phase IV is going to be more like DC.  Before anyone jumps off the ledge,  I mean things will be maybe connected in some way,  maybe this character guest appears over here in this movie but there won't be a big bad or team up that it is leading to.  Mainly because the way things are consumed is changing and Disney+ is going to be a main focal point moving forward.  

But it could also be that Feige is just playing things close to the vest.  I don't buy all this speculation about no more team ups because we have the evidence that team ups built from a phase of movies leads to bigger box office if it's done right.  

I think DC has no choice but to continue to do loosely connected solo movies because the goodwill isn't built up enough.  Marvel has the fan base that will watch every movie (whether it's in the theater or at home at some point) and people get amped for these Super Bowl type events like End Game. 

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

WB and DC fucked themselves over by trying to follow the Marvel model in reverse. It failed miserably.

I don't think the Marvel model is the only way.  I don't even think characters like Batman or Spider-Man,  i.e. the more popular characters in comics need to have an origin story each time out. 

WB/DC fucked up because they didn't have a clear plan and then the plan that was there they decided they didn't like anymore so they changed midway and satisfied no one. If you let Snyder do Man of Steel and then Man of Steel 2 (which was long rumored) or even connect Batman to Superman in a movie following the events of Man of Steel the way he wanted to and then follow it up with Wonder Woman directed by Patty Jenkins,  are they in a perfect position?  No.. because they were too divisive.  

But they'd have been in a better position to land Justice League instead of bringing in Whedon to do it which ended up setting the universe back further because now nobody is satisfied.  All the meddling during the production of Batman/Superman and then the meddling during Suicide Squad and then bringing in Whedon for Justice League did nobody any favors. You can say Snyder was out of his element too.  The blame can be shared by a lot of people.I think all of those executives are gone now which is good and Snyder is gone and Whedon is gone so they're on the right track.  

The next slate of movies following Shazam! are Joker (Elseworld's production),  Wonder Woman 1984Birds of Prey,  Matt Reeve's The Batman, James Gunn's The Suicide Squad and Aquaman 2 (no official title yet).  Those should all be successful projects. 

As you may have seen in the Ultimate Cut of this film, Zack Snyder’s original vision for Batman V Superman was a three hour film that was rated R.  In fear that the film would lose a considerable amount of revenue because it wouldn’t be able to be screened as many times throughout the day to a smaller audience, Warner Bros. quickly stepped in on the project and cut the film down to a two and a half hour run time along with a PG-13 rating.  Trimming a half hour off the film caused editors to have to rearrange scenes in order to make sense of a now chopped up narrative, leading to a jumbled mess as a result.

Most fans and critics later stated that they liked the Ultimate Cut far more than the original,  though obviously there were still a lot of people who hated it, many here who I'm sure still hated it. lol.