DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

I saw it this afternoon. At two different points the fire alarm went off and everything was halted for about ten minutes. The second of the two happened at the moment where Dr. Strange points at Stark during the final battle.

Overall I really liked the movie but didn't love it. There was a lot going on here but unlike Winter Soldier and Infinity War a majority of the cast just got in a tiny bit of time. Maybe because the movie was so long the final battle scene didn't really do as much for me as it did for everyone else. I wasn't too hot on the time travel angle but also thought they tried to wrap up as much of the potential plotholes with it as possible.

As far as some of the other plot points mentioned-

The Pym Particles might take a certain amount of time to synthesize or require certain elements that are rare on Earth, though more plentiful in space and easier to do with the technology and knowhow that Thanos had access to.

The Avengers already had a functional time machine in the portal that was in the van. Making a larger version of that probably wasn't too big a deal, especially considering Dr. Pym might have already had schematics for such a thing somewhere. I was under the impression Stark didn't figure out how to go back in time so much as he developed those quantum GPS gimmicks they were all using that allowed them to navigate the various parallel dimensions in order to find the exact space and time coordinates they needed.

The Nova Corp is still toast since Thanos destroyed all of them in the process of getting the stone that was stored there, right? At the end would Cap have put it back in the temple that Quill initially got it from?

I don't think the Gamora angle is that big a deal. She and Quill initially met and liked eachother over the course of a few days in GOTG 1 so them reconnecting isn't too big of a stretch.

• Like 1

Cap put all the stones back from where they got them when they traveled back in time. So Captain America met the Ancient One, put the Reality stone back into Jane Foster, went to that planet where Quill was at the beginning of GotG Vol. 1, let HYDRA have the Scepter and the Cosmic Cube, and went to Vormir and returned the Soul stone back to Red Skull.

23 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Nova Corp is still toast since Thanos destroyed all of them in the process of getting the stone that was stored there, right? At the end would Cap have put it back in the temple that Quill initially got it from?

The nova Corps is still fucked in the main MCu timeline. They should be fine though in the timeline Nebula and Rhodey took the stone from since Thanos was from there and is dead now.

Well... that was epic. A couple of thoughts:

First, a plot question - where were all the aliens? Countless civilizations throughout the universe lost half their population with no explanation why... except that they established early on in this film that it's possible to track where a gauntlet finger-snap happened. It didn't seem to even be difficult. So shouldn't the five years have been a non-stop succession of alien armadas showing up on Earth looking for explanations, revenge, or both?

More substantively - I'm surprised and impressed they didn't hit some sort of cosmic reset button. Half the universe died and stayed dead for five years, and everybody remembers it. That's a big game-changer. The MCU - and heck, the superhero genre in general - has to date been set in a world pretty much like our own, except with the addition of fantastic beings. Realistically, that's no longer the case - an Earth that's been through that would have to be a very different place from the one we know. I'm curious whether they address this is future films.

Bonus thought: I may have mentioned before how I liked the way Infinity War made the gauntlet itself an object of significance, establishing that you need appropriate tech (or magic) to use the stones. But I think I like even more that this film established the most effective way to use an infinity stone is to punch somebody with one.:)

The Russos were talking about how for many people, it's an incredible reunion now, but there are many people out there who grieved and moved on only to suddenly have their ex or whoever reappear, with literally no time having elapsed for them. That's heady shit that I don't see how they'll ever be able to really address it in the MCU

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe that's something they could explore on a small level on one of the TV shows. 

In theory, yeah. 

Wasn't there a show a few years ago about people suddenly coming back from the dead? I vaguely remember the commercials.

Edit: oh, and there's that Manifest show that deals with some similar ideas.

Edited by Brian Fowler

5 hours ago, Contentious C said:

That last one had to be a good laugh. 

"Steven, son of....Arschloch!!!"

Red Skull has no memory of his life before he was transported to Vormir.

I 100% super enjoyed this movie and also would be 1000% more interested in a non super hero movie taking place post Unsnapening just featuring a bunch of people who had moved on with there lives and then got there shit back.

”Hey honey, me and our 2 year old son are back? What’s that? In the couple seconds since I saw you last you remarried and now have a a baby daughter? Well then”

Also deeply saddened we never got to see Cap dropping of the Stone to be god damned Red Skull of all people.

• Like 1

They said he's not the person he used to be and he's more of a ghost now. That's different than you saying he has no memory of his life before.

BTW, regarding the people that returned, imagine you're a parent or a husband or wife and you come back from the snap and you think your kid or spouse were snapped away too, but in those 5 years, they died.

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

So am I the only one that wants the next Avengers movie to have almost a completely different cast that is more powerful but absolutely shit at working together trying to figure it out?

Assuming they would just be using characters currently based on Earth, a team like Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Professor Hulk, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and Valkyrie, for instance.

I think we're a good 5 years away from another non-Guardians group film. Phase 4 is all gonna be sequels (Spidey, Panther, Marvel, Guardians), I imagine?

18 minutes ago, Ace said:

I think we're a good 5 years away from another non-Guardians group film. Phase 4 is all gonna be sequels (Spidey, Panther, Marvel, Guardians), I imagine?

You also have the fact the present is five years from “now” at the end of endgame. 

Will the next batch of films be set between “now” and “ then”?

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

You also have the fact the present is five years from “now” at the end of endgame. 

Will the next batch of films be set between “now” and “ then”?

I doubt it.

21 minutes ago, Ace said:

Not necessarily all sequels. It actually looks like they're taking more of a gamble this time around. You have the Eternals, Shang Chi, and at least Black Widow getting all of their movies in this phase. Along with this, you have the WandaVision, Hawkeye, and Falcon and the Winter Soldier tv shows, which are basically just movies themselves, but only on Disney's platform.

I'm not sure if we're 5 years away from another group film. The gap between Iron Man and Avengers was surprisingly only 4 years, then 3 years in between it and Age of Ultron, and 3 more years between it and Infinity War. It's hard to throw the breaks on these big group movies because they do make a shitload of money. So maybe 3 to 4 years?

The next big event thing Marvel Studios does to show off their next slate of movies is going to be really interesting. After Endgame, I almost wish Disney didn't have control over X-Men, Fantastic Four, and other stuff because while those benefit from being produced by Feige, it feels like it's way too much and now everything is way too big where I hope this all doesn't collapse under its own weight. 

Eternals and Shang Chi just feel like such weird gambles though. I don't quite understand why Shang Chi isn't a Disney+ thing.

If anything, the next group movie might be some A-Force style thing.