DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

5 minutes ago, nate said:

That's a helluva Masters of Evil lineup.  Just saying.

The same guy who leaked a bunch of stuff about Endgame (that wasn't public knowledge at the time - like Thor gaining weight) also leaked that a Thunderbolts movie is being discussed with The Leader as the villain, and the team being The Abomination, Justin Hammer, Thaddeus Ross/Red Hulk, Baron Zemo and Ghost.

Scorpion, Shocker, Vulture and presumably Mysterio (plus two other Spidey villains) are obviously being set into place to form the Sinister Six within the MCU.

Edited by Casey

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

I mean, the MCU version would only require her to touch someone and say "sleep" or "die" or whatever and that's it.

Scott went into the Quantum Realm in the mid-credits scene to gather quantum energy so Ghost could remain healed. Janet Pym lets Ava harvest some of her energy to help stablize her condition in the finale of the movie, but it's not a cure-all, thus the mid credits scene. Without that energy, all three Pym family members dusted, and who knows what happened to Bill Foster when the Decimation happened (or post-snap) - Ghost would be back to her unstable condition, phasing in and out. 

I could've sworn that they were going into the Realm to heal other people of other diseases, not Ghost

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I could've sworn that they were going into the Realm to heal other people of other diseases, not Ghost

Scott says "healing particles secured for our new Ghost friend" right before the Pym family is decimated.

• Like 1

Casey is correct.  Janet and Hank intended to study the medical applications of the particles in general, but Scott's journey into to Quantum Verse at the end of Ant-Man / Wasp is to secure a batch for Ghost's continued treatment.

For the first two hours, I thought it was quite good.

For the last hour, I was marking out like a motherfucker.  Biggest pop was for the return of Peter followed by Thor's "I knew it!"

• Like 4

I think it did some really special things. The opening with Hawkeye, even though you just knew what was going to happen, worked to remind everyone how bad it is right up front. The extended prologue was pretty fun.

Then the real first act... Holy hell I didn't expect it to be so introspective and take it's time like that. I get that the movie was really long, but I'm glad they took the time to really show the Leftovers-esque part. 

Some of the time travel got really squirelly, and I'm afraid we'll never see how things played out after Loki got the Tesseract back in that timeline. The scene with Tony and Howard was great. 

The final act was a MCU final act, but it goes to eleven. I'm not sure it earned all it's really cool stuff, but it was still really cool stuff. 

The combined body count is pretty low. Tony, Nat (two of the first three Avengers we actually met in the MCU) and Vis are dead. Cap is off the table, more or less. Presumably so is Hulk. And then there's the fact that we didn't really get the same Gamora back. Which should set up some serious tension.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm afraid we'll never see how things played out after Loki got the Tesseract back in that timeline. 

I'm guessing this is where the Loki TV series comes in, seeing as how he died in the original timeline. Interesting that the show will feature the 2012 Loki before his face turn, though

When it comes to comic book movies I usually only like the origin story ones but this one really sucked me in. I went and saw it yesterday at 6:10PM and the entire complex was packed like it was a Friday night, they have it running on six screens and all of the showings from 4pm to 10pm were either sold out or nearly sold out!

1 hour ago, MonteCarl said:

2012 Loki before his face turn, though

Loki has more face turns than the Big Show. And more heel turns too.

• Like 2

Got tickets to see it again this Saturday. I can't fucking wait.

A good friend of mine who lives in Hollywood went to see it at the El Capitan on Saturday and he said it was so fucking cool to see it there. And then last night I was looking up audience reactions and there's a video on YouTube from the El Capitan that's basically just the audio from the audience reactions on opening night. Either Don Cheadle or Anthony Mackie was there to introduce the movie to the audience. That theater was electric. Just tons of cheering and awwing and laughing.

A lot has been said about the details in the movie but I just wanted to say I fucking loved it.  The more I think about the time travel part the more perplexing it seems.  They went and made fun of it in the movie yet with all those moving parts it's impossible to keep things straight unless you had a chart or something.  But it was still a really great time.  They had showings in 15-minute intervals which meant the 7pm showing was sold out yet 7:15 was empty in comparison.  I  needed that packed crowd though for this but it was still a good time.  All goes well will see this again with my wife this Saturday.  It's been interesting not being able to say anything about the movie for a week though I could use a re-watch since there was a shit-ton that was going all at once on first watch.

I will say though that Thor channeling his inner Lebowski brought the biggest fucking smile to my face.  I guess even Thor couldn't slim down in time for the epic battle but I loved it all the same.

• Like 2

You know there's going to be a deep dive dissecting the time travel stuff and its fallout, and (hopefully) there'll be a collective "MOTHERFUCKER!!!!" and we'll all watch it again and probably be back here, all like "holy shit, that makes so much sense!!!"

It makes a kind of sense in the way they explained it. You have to squint and fill in some blanks sometimes, but it's fine. But even with the given explanation, some people still seem to be trying to use Back to the Future or Terminator logic on this. It's not going to work. 

Re: Vision and Mjolnir, someone in my orbit remembered that someone picked it up out of frame and handed it to Thor, but they couldn't remember who. Such is people's investment in Vision. And Age of Ultron. 

That's actually part of why I'm not already sold on the Disney+ shows. Even at that low price point, I don't care about any of the headlining characters so much that I'm keen to watch their shows sight unseen. I'm really curious what the word of mouth will be on those. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I love time travel movies and TV shows more than I should. I'm the only one here who champions Lost as hard as I do and I love the time travel seasons there. I've watched Primer more times than any sane person should.

To me, I thought they really stuck the landing on how time travel works, establishing the rules for it, avoiding paradoxes, and ensuring divergent timelines remain intact. I get why for other people that shit can be a headache because time travel isn't always explained well, but I got it all pretty easily.

One of the things I liked the most was them say that for the travelers it may seem like hours or even longer, but in the present day it would only be about 5 seconds, which was how long it took the machine to spin up.

I think what the time travel BS boils down to is simply this: If the Gems were used to make something happen, it can be reversed.  If the Gems didn't directly act, it can't.

I was also struck by how foolish it was to invoke the boring-ass trope of "We can only do this once!" by claiming Pym knew something no one else ever solved, with respect to figuring out the size particles.  If Tony Stank can break time travel by noodling around with someone else's data, he and Banner can probably put a finger on what makes the Pym Particles work so that they don't run out (i.e., the screenwriters don't gin up a bogus sense of tension that we don't fucking buy as an audience anyway).  The only thing that whole sequence sets up is Cap seeing Peggy in the office, so that his choices later are foreshadowed.  I've already expressed my boredom with the Howie and Tony Show.

Also, there isn't a "new Gamora" to deal with, if I'm remembering correctly, because she wasn't in the collected GotG epilogue scene.  So presumably, she was returned to the past, but is still dead.  (Which opens a whole other can of worms of, why wasn't Star-Lord upset for having lost her not once but twice?  If the third movie doesn't deal with this subject, it's just another mark on the Time Travel Is Dumb side of the ledger.  Similarly, there's an argument that perhaps Tony's snap should have taken her off the board, since he had no way whatsoever to know who she was, let alone whose side she was on; this is presumably something the Gems did for him).

Did they explicitly say that Tony’s snap sent everyone/thing back to the past or just that they got dusted? I had to pee so badly at that point my concentration was starting to wander. 

So, this is probably a good time to bring this up, but did this many of you really think Tony solved time travel in a day just after talking to Scott? I read that as Tony has been working on this for years because he's been obsessed with reserving the damage that was done and then after talking to Scott, he had his eureka moment.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Did they explicitly say that Tony’s snap sent everyone/thing back to the past or just that they got dusted? I had to pee so badly at that point my concentration was starting to wander. 

No. Tony's snap turned all of Thanos' forces and Thanos himself to dust.

Pretty sure he just merked the whole lot of Thanos' army.  More jiggery-pokery afterwards might have been required to put Gamora back, assuming she even survived it, but someone else can cannonball into that plot hole.

Gamora isn't a plot hole.  I mean, it's likely that her and Nebula got from Thanos' ship down to the surface via The Guardian's Pod that Nebula was captured in.  She could've taken that off world, or asked on of the Wizards that can create portals to other planets for a hole, or ask the big Norse God whose Axe can summon the Bifrost to open a door.  Nothing said she had to go back to the past, that timeline is already fucked 18 ways to Sunday.  And seeing how the Stones can differentiate "Someone's forces" and Gamora wasn't even then really aligned with Thanos in the first place, she got spared the dusting.

Yeah, agreed, she isn't a plot hole.

So right now GotG 3 sounds like it's Adam Warlock combine with this Search for Spock type quest for Gamora.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

I was also struck by how foolish it was to invoke the boring-ass trope of "We can only do this once!" by claiming Pym knew something no one else ever solved, with respect to figuring out the size particles.  If Tony Stank can break time travel by noodling around with someone else's data, he and Banner can probably put a finger on what makes the Pym Particles work so that they don't run out (i.e., the screenwriters don't gin up a bogus sense of tension that we don't fucking buy as an audience anyway).  The only thing that whole sequence sets up is Cap seeing Peggy in the office, so that his choices later are foreshadowed.  I've already expressed my boredom with the Howie and Tony Show.

The Russos explained away Thanos' time travel as him making more Pym Particles by reverse engineering them off-screen with his buddy Ebony Maw. Surely Stark and Banner could've done the same. If not, where the hell was Hank Pym's tiny lab at? Or if Bill Foster didn't get snapped, he could've helped.

I really don't mind how it played out due to the limited particles, but if Thanos can get that lame explanation, it's hard to believe there weren't other options for the good guys.