DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The joke I saw from someone is that 50% of all living creatures in the universe were dusted and 100% of Peter Parker's friends and family turned to dust.

Aunt May survived the Decimation, though.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm pretty sure the only two that didn't create an alternate timeline when they went back were Nat and Clint, as they had pretty much zero interaction with anything else.  Everyone else tossed the timelines they jumped into into total disarray.

Kinda eh on the "everyone had no consciousness" thing as you'd imagine Strange at least would find a way to walk around (the Soulrealm was shown to exist in Infinity War, somewhat).  That would be a slightly better explaination as to how they managed to amass 3 huge armies in 10-15 minutes, especially when at least half were dust 10  minutes prior.  

Another tangent, The Ancient One said that removing a Stone or Stones from the current reality would bork everything because that removes the means of protection.  Now, did she mean for the Timeline she was in (which makes sense, because Strange needed the Time Stone to stop Dormammu), or is that across the board, in which case, since Thanos destroyed the stones in 2018 which leaves no stone in "current 2023", how fucked are things technically going forward? (Not that I want the Stones to be the centerpiece again, but perhaps the absence of the  Infinity Stones leaves the door open for a Galactus or whatever the next Omega level threat is)

a) Nat and Clint interacted with nothing but Red Skull, but they were in the same 2014 as Rhodey and Nebula. That's probably one of the most fucked with of all the timelines (no Guardians, no Thanos, etc).

b) Strange has portals, access to Wong who himself has access to more portals, and knows what the winning formula looks like. He probably didn't need a full ten to send out invitations to a Thanos punching party.

c) This is an interesting point. No Time Stone in 2023 opens the gates for Dormammu to take another shot. And all the time travel shenanigans and the effects of the missing stones probably leaves our heroes with a bill that Baron Mordo will be keen to collect. If they go deep on any of this, I expect Doctor Strange 2 will be as good a place as any to start. And multiple snaps on 2018/2023 Earth are sure to attract someone's attention...

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Also, if Cap made another time jump, when and where? 

Banner: I dunno, he blew past his time stamp!

I would say after Peggy died, he jumped forward to the bench to wrap things up.

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

b) Strange has portals, access to Wong who himself has access to more portals, and knows what the winning formula looks like. He probably didn't need a full ten to send out invitations to a Thanos punching party.

Opening Dr. Strange 2 with him bouncing through portals to every hero yelling "Quick, No time to explain, just come to punch Thanos!" is money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Opening Dr. Strange 2 with him bouncing through portals to every hero yelling "Quick, No time to explain, just come to punch Thanos!" is money.

With the liveliest version of the theme song possible. Heck yes. 

And then: The bill comes due. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3

If you think of who dusted in Wakanda, not all of them came out of the Wakandan portal. Pretty much just Falcon, Panther, Shuri and Okoye. He must have sent Bucky and that to other slingers.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably, since it’s a straight white male, it’s okay. 

This is 100% the case, although Thor is also a SWM, so I'm not seeing the correlation you're trying to make.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I learned that kind of lesson the hard way when one of my film professors explained that an article I wrote about a feminist film critic (Laura mulvey) should not have her work described as "seminal." ?

Jon Anik (UFC commentator) keeps referring to a good punch or kick (meaning a fight changing, or round winning shot) as a 'Seminal Blow'. I don't think he knows what it means.

Saw it today. 

Thought it was fine, not great. 

Many of the same nitpicks already mentioned. 

Glad Cap got a good resolution. 

One thing I did wonder about: were there any supervillains seem anywhere (not counting the Skull) besides Loki (who is a tweeter anyway)?  Also exempting guys just in suits like Pierce and Crossbones. 

I always think when you have a plot like Thanos (or Darkseid) trying to wipe out humanity, some of the more normal villains (vulture, batroc, would turn babyface. 

Vulture and Batroc are still in prison, aren't they? When the snap was undone, I think, everyone came back exactly where they were when they went. Shame for the helicopter pilot in the IW post-credits, or anyone driving on a busy, fast road.

Edited by AxB
busy, not bust

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Another tangent, The Ancient One said that removing a Stone or Stones from the current reality would bork everything because that removes the means of protection.  Now, did she mean for the Timeline she was in (which makes sense, because Strange needed the Time Stone to stop Dormammu), or is that across the board, in which case, since Thanos destroyed the stones in 2018 which leaves no stone in "current 2023", how fucked are things technically going forward? (Not that I want the Stones to be the centerpiece again, but perhaps the absence of the  Infinity Stones leaves the door open for a Galactus or whatever the next Omega level threat is)

She meant her specific timeline. Its also why she relented once Banner mentioned returning the stones.

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

a) Nat and Clint interacted with nothing but Red Skull, but they were in the same 2014 as Rhodey and Nebula. That's probably one of the most fucked with of all the timelines (no Guardians, no Thanos, etc).

Guardians are still likely to happen due to Ronan. The big thing with them is they now never have to deal with the snap or any of the other bullshit Thanos was responsible for after 2014.

Leftovers was a fantastic TV series, but it went off the rails in the last season. I will not accept any comparisons or talk of that season in regards to Endgame. The first seasons of Leftovers is damn near perfect, however.

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

One thing I did wonder about: were there any supervillains seem anywhere (not counting the Skull) besides Loki (who is a tweeter anyway)?  Also exempting guys just in suits like Pierce and Crossbones. I always think when you have a plot like Thanos (or Darkseid) trying to wipe out humanity, some of the more normal villains (vulture, batroc, would turn babyface. 

Vulture, Scorpion, Shocker II, The Abomination, Batroc and Zemo are all in prison. Ghost is out there somewhere, waiting for Quantum particles from Scott Lang (or dusted). That's the thing about these guys, though - you don't know if they've been dusted or not. If they haven't been, they might be sitting in a cell underneath the ocean unattended because the guards dusted, or something.

4 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Also, what was Mantis doing in the battle? She's not a warrior. She was shown a few times during the battle, but never shown actually doing anything. Seems she would've been killed immediately by the actual warriors in the battle itself. 

Personally, I was happy to see that someone checked the comics from the 70's and remembered that at one point in Marvel history, Mantis WAS a warrior.

Matter of fact, the original human version of the character was one of the best martial artists on the planet.  

Edited by J.T.

I mean, the MCU version would only require her to touch someone and say "sleep" or "die" or whatever and that's it.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Ghost was already healed at the end of Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Scott went into the Quantum Realm in the mid-credits scene to gather quantum energy so Ghost could remain healed. Janet Pym lets Ava harvest some of her energy to help stablize her condition in the finale of the movie, but it's not a cure-all, thus the mid credits scene. Without that energy, all three Pym family members dusted, and who knows what happened to Bill Foster when the Decimation happened (or post-snap) - Ghost would be back to her unstable condition, phasing in and out. 

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Jon Anik (UFC commentator) keeps referring to a good punch or kick (meaning a fight changing, or round winning shot) as a 'Seminal Blow'. I don't think he knows what it means.

Actually he does.  

sem·i·nal

adjective

1.  (of a work, event, moment, or figure) strongly influencing later developments.

"his seminal work on chaos theory"

synonyms:influential, formative, groundbreaking, pioneering, original, creative, innovative, imaginative, productive, major, important

"her paper is still considered a seminal work on the subject"

antonyms:irrelevant, unimportant

2.  relating to or denoting semen.

synonyms:spermatic, sperm, seed

He's using definition one rather than definition two. 

In this case the proverbial "seminal blow" would be the shot that spelled the beginning of the end for the recipient of said strike.  Either it changed the dynamics of the fight (momentum changer) or was followed by the strikes or submission that ended the fight.

And yeah, in the definition they use the word as an adjective to describe the important scholarly work created by a woman and like Odessa said, I am sure she'd prefer that someone use one of the other synonyms like formative or influential rather than a word whose more direct definition refers to.... well.......

Edited by J.T.

Skull: "Natasha, daughter of Ivan."

(later)

Hawkeye: "... just because he knew your father's name?"

Widow: "I don't."

Natasha, you're Russian.  Everyone's dad is named Ivan.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

Vulture, Scorpion, Shocker II, The Abomination, Batroc and Zemo are all in prison. Ghost is out there somewhere, waiting for Quantum particles from Scott Lang (or dusted). 

That's a helluva Masters of Evil lineup.  Just saying.