DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

So, theres an article in the Guardian today (where else) complaining aboutThor being fat shamed in the movie. 

What about the exploiting and objectification of Captain America's bottom?

Joe Russo did a Q&A in China, and confirmed that Steve deciding to stay in the "past" with Peggy created an alternative timeline, and Old Man Cap had to make another time jump to the future (MCU's 2023) to give the shield to Falcon.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 2

You figure that the Quantum Time shenanigans created enough alternate timelines that we could have a Crisis on Infinite MCU's arc.  

My only real issue with the movie is, really, how did all the dusted heroes, Pepper, Wong, and Valkyrie know when to assemble and get themselves and all those armies to the right spot?

21 minutes ago, Raziel said:

You figure that the Quantum Time shenanigans created enough alternate timelines that we could have a Crisis on Infinite MCU's arc.  

Slightly apples and oranges, but we got that with the spider verse cartoon. 

36 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/04/avengers-endgame-fails-black-widow-again/588262/

Posting this here to trigger the people who allergic to attempts at "woke" media criticism. 

Woof.

Just because you can use the word "pusillanimous" doesn't mean that you should, sometimes.  Of course, I've been researching a lot about subliminal language, and using the word "pusillanimous" in an article about the objectification of a female character is, to me, a curious choice.

Edited by nate

57 minutes ago, Raziel said:

My only real issue with the movie is, really, how did all the dusted heroes, Pepper, Wong, and Valkyrie know when to assemble and get themselves and all those armies to the right spot?

I'd imagine it had something to do with Doctor Strange and this being the 1 out of 14,000,000 scenarios - having foreseen this battle and where it occurs, during that scene in Infinity War.

• Like 1

I mean, I figured there was some odd stuff Strange did over time, but it was interesting that he assembled everything in like, 10 minutes (assuming he came back right when the Snapback happened and he didn't have to wait for the Snap wave to get to Titan.)

1 hour ago, nate said:

Woof.

Just because you can use the word "pusillanimous" doesn't mean that you should, sometimes.  Of course, I've been researching a lot about subliminal language, and using the word "pusillanimous" in an article about the objectification of a female character is, to me, a curious choice.

I learned that kind of lesson the hard way when one of my film professors explained that an article I wrote about a feminist film critic (Laura mulvey) should not have her work described as "seminal." ?

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sometimes knowing stuff like that sucks, because I personally want to know if the author of the piece knew what they were doing or was this connection just in there.

Saw it again and have this question. They all had enough Pym Particles for one trip to the past and then back to the present. Present Nebula gets taken out by Past Nebula and Past Nebula takes her place. However, she is shown giving her Pym Particles to Thanos, yet somehow she is still able to jump back to the present and also follow up by bringing Thanos and his giant ship through the machine. So either Nebula used the Particles to jump or she used them to jump Thanos. Shouldn't be able to be both. And how did the entire ship shrink and come through then resize to full size? 

Also, what was Mantis doing in the battle? She's not a warrior. She was shown a few times during the battle, but never shown actually doing anything. Seems she would've been killed immediately by the actual warriors in the battle itself. 

• Like 1

I thought she presented the Pym particles to Thanos in 2014 as a way to both show Thanos her plan and how she would accomplish it. Rocket kind of alluded to this earlier in the movie, saying Stark was only a genius on Earth - meaning there are people far smarter than him (and Hank Pym) out there somewhere in the universe. It's not a stretch to imagine Thanos has a team of scientists or whatever, he does have a ridiculous amount of tech (some of which might be stolen from all the planets he's raided and pillaged, but still).

A lot of things happen off-screen, and you kind of just have to fill in the gaps yourself. There are/were a lot of complaints online about the lack of a funeral scene for Natasha, but then Joe Russo said at the Chinese fan Q&A that it happened off-screen (plus the fact they were kind of in a hurry to finish their mission) and it may or may not be revisited in the future because there's a lot of stories left to explore coming out of this movie. Is it kind of a cop out answer? Yeah. But it's kinda unfair to poke little holes like that into a movie that some already call bloated, and people want things like another funeral and an explanation for 2014 Nebula's plan with Thanos for the attack in 2023.

I took it that they did have a funeral scene for Natasha on the dock by the lake and that's what we were watching. They were all clearly mourning her loss and then Hawkeye couldn't help but put the blame on him.

• Like 2

From the Q&A (translated from a Chinese website, so... broken english in some parts):

Q: How did Thanos bring his army to the future?

A: There is a guy called Maw in his army, he was a great wizard. Thanos himself was a brilliant genius as well. Those two easily reverse engineered and mass produced Pym Particles.

Q: What about those people who got dusted? What did those five years mean to them? Why didn't they grow older when undusted?

A: Yes, those people whom was lucky to survive the snap are 5 years older than the people who just got back. The reason Spider Man saw his friend again in high school at the end was simply because his friends was unfortunately also dusted like Spider Man was. Of course, there are people in his grade whom didn't die and they are probably already in colleges by now. To those dusted people, they had no conscious in these past 5 years. They didn't know what happened. It's as if they had just woke up from a long sleep. The only one who was aware about how many years has passed was Doctor Strange, because he has already seen that when he was time mediating on Titan. Parker's reunion with Tony was a touching moment. There are also people whom indeed moved on but suddenly was reunited with their lost ones. Yeah it's kind a complicated world now.

Q: Why didn't Black Widow get a funeral as well?

A: Did you forget when the heroes where mourning for her after when they returned from past? Maybe her funeral happened off screen. Maybe it will be shown in future installment, because there are still tons of stories in MCU that are waiting to be tell.

Q: Peggy Carter was probably already married and in her mid 40s in 1970, in that case what year was it that Captain America went back to dance with her?

A: We can't answer it for now, this is a story that happened in an alternate reality. Maybe it will be revealed in the future.

Q: Did Captain America's action at the end affect the timeline? Does that mean there was a time where two CA existed in a same universe?

A: To me, CA's action in the end wasn't the fact he wanted to change anything, it's more like me has made a choice. He chose to go back to past and lived with the one he loved for the rest of his life. The time travel in this movie created an alternate reality. He lived a completely different life in that world. We don't know how exactly his life turned out, but I'd like to believe he still helped many others when they were needed in that world. Yes, there were two CA in that reality, it's just like what Hulk said, what happened in the past has already happened. If you go back to past, you simply created a new reality. The characters in this movie created new timeline when they went back to the past, but it had no effect to the prime universe. What happened in the past 22 movies was still canon.

Q: How would Cap react when he encounter Red Skull when he returned the stone?

A: Red Skull would probably put the soul stone back to its location, and wait for the next unfortunate stone seeker to make sacrifice. Cap and Red Skull probably won't fight. It's because it's his mission to return the stone to its original place. The Red Skull is also no longer the same Red Skull from FA. He is more like a ghost, you could almost say he's a completely different entity now. He only exist to guard the stone, his past conscious may or may not exist anymore.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the only two that didn't create an alternate timeline when they went back were Nat and Clint, as they had pretty much zero interaction with anything else.  Everyone else tossed the timelines they jumped into into total disarray.

Kinda eh on the "everyone had no consciousness" thing as you'd imagine Strange at least would find a way to walk around (the Soulrealm was shown to exist in Infinity War, somewhat).  That would be a slightly better explaination as to how they managed to amass 3 huge armies in 10-15 minutes, especially when at least half were dust 10  minutes prior.  

Another tangent, The Ancient One said that removing a Stone or Stones from the current reality would bork everything because that removes the means of protection.  Now, did she mean for the Timeline she was in (which makes sense, because Strange needed the Time Stone to stop Dormammu), or is that across the board, in which case, since Thanos destroyed the stones in 2018 which leaves no stone in "current 2023", how fucked are things technically going forward? (Not that I want the Stones to be the centerpiece again, but perhaps the absence of the  Infinity Stones leaves the door open for a Galactus or whatever the next Omega level threat is)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Joe Russo did a Q&A in China, and confirmed that Steve deciding to stay in the "past" with Peggy created an alternative timeline, and Old Man Cap had to make another time jump to the future (MCU's 2023) to give the shield to Falcon.

I guess this doesn't totally screw over Peggy's husband in the main MCU timeline. And I loved the movie, but c'mon, that's a little convoluted. 

Also, if Cap made another time jump, when and where? 

Edited by TheVileOne