DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

If the big players for phase 4 are to be Black Panther, Dr Strange, The Guardians of the Galaxy (feat. Thor), Captain Marvel and Spider-Man... I don't see what villain could glue their rogue's galleries together. Unless it's like The Beyonder or something (but I think Secret Wars is how to get the Mutants, FF and live action Miles Morales into the MCU, which is presumably phase 5, so not for five years or so).

What movies (or shows) will Sam Wilson Captain America be in? Would people kick up a fuss if he only gets a Disney+ mini-series, when Steve Rogers got three solo movies? And is Bucky returning to Wakanda to be T'Challa's sidekick, or is he having his own thing as well?

Wasn't there supposed to be a Vision and Scarlet Witch Disney+ show? Is she just going to use her reality warping powers to bring him back, or set it in the past? Because there's not that big of a time window, considering they didn't actually commit to one another until IW.

So who's the new Falcon? Or did they just announce it that way to not spoil that Sam was getting the Cap gimmick?

The Bucky/Falcon show immediately feels like a mistake, to be honest. I could see him wrestling with taking up the mantle for the show, taking it up at the end, and having a movie for Cap 4, but it feels like a dropped ball (even if the platform is a huge priority for them).

As for some common villain, they'll need one. There's no way they don't try to replicate the success of having a big movie to end the phase. They could maybe get away with a team-up of a bunch of established and to-be-established villains though. They haven't done that yet.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Thought the one show was titled "Falcon & Winter Soldier", so they'll be a team-up for a while.

Seems like, with that cast of Avengers, they're a Wolverine and a Luke Cage away from the New Avengers.  They could just do the Zom storyline from that with whoever the team is, and get to Zom via a Dr. Strange sequel that precedes the next team film.

But Doc and Panther will almost certainly be the first ones announced.  Makes me wonder now if the Black Widow solo thing was just a rumor to disguise the plot, a legitimate prequel, or a new BW.  Hopefully it's not Door # 3.

Edited by Contentious C

Loved every minute of it. I went into this whole thing with Iron Man being maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite comic book hero. Iron Man brought the comic to life in ways I didn't think was possible and the stinger at the end blew my mind. All those years ago thinking, holy shit, we're going to get the Avengers.

So many great movies in all of those years and what I wanted was a fitting series finale. I got more than that. This was everything I could ever want and then some. I was left in tears at so many points whether if it was because I was thrilled or sad. 

I really can't wait to see this again because it honestly never felt like 3 hours to me. There was just so much happening in every scene. Never a dull moment.

It is interesting that people in here are confused about how the snap could have still happened or how anything could have happened when they explained pretty well how they were going to undo the snap and then put everything back to avoid additional time travel shenanigans. What people should really be asking is what must be going through Steve's mind. He's in love with Peggy, then he's in love with Sharon, and then just time ghosts Sharon to marry Peggy knowingly making himself Sharon's uncle. That is a stones throw away from some Game of Thrones type shit. Or people should be asking how and when Gamora split. No ship took off. She was there for the girl fight at the end. I just thought that was weird. Also, everything with Gamora is now a super bummer. Peter changes to be the man Gamora deserves, they fall in love, they're finally together, Gamora dies, Peter learns of her death, Peter comes back, sees Gamora, and...she doesn't know who he is. So, not quite setting up some Regarding Henry type stuff for GotG 3, but it's close.

As for my showing, Cap FINALLY wielding Mjollnir got the biggest reaction (Thor: "I knew it!!") That was fucking electric, no pun intended. Spider-Man's return, Captain Marvel's return at the end, the women of Marvel ganging up, and Black Panther and the Wakandans arriving all got a lot of applause.

Honestly the biggest hero of all was that rat. Without that rat, Scott isn't freed, and none of this happens. I really hope no writer or director feels a need to explain how that rat got there.

Anyway, that's enough for now, but this was seriously fantastic and one of my favorite movies ever. I loved it and can't wait to see it again.

• Like 3

The Disney Ploos show I’m really intrigued about coming out of this movie is WandaVision.  When Olsen said it was set in the 50’s, I assumed maybe they’d get stuck there via some time travel hijinx.  But obviously Vision ain’t back in any capacity, so what the fuck is that show gonna be?  Some kind of Elseworlds story?  A streaming miniseries would be a weird place to introduce “Wanda is powerful enough to bend reality” as a concept.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:11 AM, RandomAct said:

My only really huge issue with this was the Nebula stuff. It was like they booked themselves into a corner with how to get Thanos back involved, and the deal with Nebula was like "ok, this is all we got". Also, the battle with Thanos didn't feel as personal as Infinity War. I KNOW that the stakes were high, but they didn't feel that way. It almost felt like they were fighting a different dude.

They literally were, though. That Thanos was basically a rookie compared to IW Thanos - had yet to get a single Infinity Stone, hadn't sacrificed his only love, and hasn't felt the power of the Gauntlet and whooped Earth's mightiest heroes TWICE and succeed in his maniacal, genocidal vision.

Of course, leveled up Thanks quite literally got the axe at the beginning of the movie, but it felt right. In his mind, he died knowing he had won, and killing him literally fixed nothing.

• Like 5

I'm honestly not feeling any of the Disney+ Marvel shows except Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and that's only because Mackie has good chemistry with Sebastian Stan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Honestly the biggest hero of all was that rat. Without that rat, Scott isn't freed, and none of this happens. I really hope no writer or director feels a need to explain how that rat got there.

Oh crap.  I think it probably will.  Loki mini-series, anyone?

On 4/27/2019 at 7:45 AM, Eivion said:

Thanos and Gamora was covered in IW. Would have been an unnecessary retread to deal with it again. Thanos as IW's protag was somewhat necessary for us to understand him and his goals. There was no real reason to go deep into him again with us already having that understanding from IW.

Yeah, but an earlier Thanos getting to see 'his future' is such a game-changer that this leaves a lot to explore. Gamora's face-turn is a bit half-assed by them not really going through this.

With Chris Evans already stretching his contract and them filming two movies at once, there are practical reasons not to do Endgame as two movies - and Endgame is fairly unprecedented as a cinema event. As others have suggested, this movie will not age well - if you wanted something that was going to age well, then I think my two Endgame parts would have worked a lot better.

Edited by ComingToAmerica

Biggest "mark out" moments in my theatre:

1. SpiderMan returns. I popped. 

2. Ant Man punching the shit out of that worm-cruiser. 

3. "Avengers! Assemble."

4. Quill singing and dancing w no music. That shit got me. I laughed. 

5. Like 5 different things Rocket Raccoon said that I can't remember.

6. The "fat guy Thor" reveal. 

7. "I could do this all day."

8. Falcon coming in on Cap's headset for the first time. I was happy to see him and Bucky. And the Guardians. And Valkyrie. Damn she's fly.

I forgot, but somewhere between 2-4: "Girl Power." 

• Like 2

Speaking of Ant-Man, I fucking love that the grand plot is sooooooo down Scott Lang's alley. A heist. The ultimate heist. A fucking time heist.

Fuck, this movie was amazing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Speaking of Ant-Man, I fucking love that the grand plot is sooooooo down Scott Lang's alley. A heist. The ultimate heist. A fucking time heist.

Fuck, this movie was amazing.

That second hour was fun especially revisiting the Battle of New York from Avengers Assemble (2012). This also gave us a callback to the elevator sequence and Hail HYDRA in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

• Like 2

Speaking as someone who loves Cap, the Ant-Man flicks, and heist movies, this was near peak Marvel for me. I'm curious to see where it shakes out after a couple more watches.

@Contentious C and myself seem to be the only ones who cared about the Bruce/Natasha dynamic. I felt like they played shallow lip service to the issue, but in general the Russos realize how unpopular it is. Whatever. It was fine. 

The helmet on Hank's desk was amazing. The whole 1970s section was the best bit of the movie. I didn't cry (I'm not a movie crier), but the closest I got to overwhelming emotion was when Steve saw Peggy in NJ.  

Doctor Strange ain't got nothing on Moses when it comes to handling that water.

Pepper encouraging Tony to rest was some bullshit. What kind of fucking mother are you? No attempt to resuscitate? Fuck right off. That was Paltrow consciously uncoupling from this franchise. Don't let the door hit your goop on the way out. Nice heroic end for Tony. Him and his daughter was touching. I never want to see Pepper again. 

Biggest reactions at my showing:

1. Reveal of fat Thor (by far #1 with that audience)
  2. Tony and Pete hug it out
  3. Cap wields Mjolnir
  4. Tony's death/funeral 
  5. Thanos beheading

My big question, aside from everything brought up already: Where do you go with Bruce Banner from here? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Son of a bitch! I forgot the hammer shaking and it flying to Cap! That got a big-assed pop too. Also, Drax stabbing the fuck out of Thanos' minions into and out of frame got a huge laugh. 

• Like 2

@West Newbury Bad Boy

Hulk works more as a supporting player and there's no solo film with the Universal Pictures rights issues. Feels like his story is done much like the majority of the original six Avengers as Banner has accepted the Hulk. 

Iron Man is dead and you don't want to ruin his perfect sendoff. 

Captain America's story has ended though I'm not fond of his choices. I hope Cap doesn't come back.

Hawkeye has his family again. Can't see him returning for a movie. 

Black Widow's dead which I don't like. May find an out of that. So the solo movie is either a prequel with perhaps the Winter Soldier, a lost year's type story or perhaps as she's in the Soul stone reflecting on her life.

Thor's in AsGuardians of the Galaxy 3. Thor may get a fourth solo film unlike Cap and Iron Man. 

Edited by The Natural

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

@West Newbury Bad Boy

Hulk works more as a supporting player and there's no solo film with the Universal rights issues. Feels like his story is done much like the majority of the original 6 Avengers as Banner has accepted the Hulk. 

Iron Man is dead and you don't want to ruin his perfect sendoff. 

Captain America's story has ended though I'm not fond of his choices. I hope Cap doesn't come back.

Hawkeye has his family again. Can't see him brought back for a movie. 

Thor's in AsGuardians of the Galaxy 3. Thor may get a fourth solo film unlike Cap and Iron Man. 

Thanks for the shout, Natural. I won't multi-quote as I know your tablet dislikes it. ?

Hulk has been a great supporting player, but I feel there's room to branch out. Studio rights have quashed that and will continue to do so, but I definitely feel like they could do more with a super recognizable OG who can still ride that Lou Ferrigno name recognition. It feels like they've tied his story up, but he's alive. I'm curious to see where they go from here, but they left no clues which franchise he may be grafted onto next. Speaking of which...

Hemsworth seemed done with this role till Taika rolled in and really let the comedic chops of the Avengers' hunk shine. My read is he seems keen to stay on unless something really takes off for him outside the MCU. And it ain't gonna be that shit MIB flick. I don't know about Thor 4, but I'm all in on Asguardians of the Galaxy.

Taika note while I have a captive audience: What We Do In The Shadows on FX is very funny. Get after it.

Re: Cap specifically, what didn't you like about his choice, Natural? I have my own take, but lay yours on me first, brother. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for no multi quoting, @West Newbury Bad Boy

Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy might be the Thor 4 (try saying that repeatedly) like Captain America: Civil War as a Avengers movie. As noted previously, Guardians of the Galaxy isn't for me.

You mention What We Do In The Shadows. Is that the movie by Taika Waititi, the TV series remake or both? If it's the movie I second your recommendation. Really funny mockumentary. Same day I watched Thor: Ragnarok at the cinema, the film premiered on terrestrial TV. UPDATE: Searched for the TV series and BBC Two will air it. 

My main issue with Cap's ending was the Shield going to Sam Wilson rather than Bucky Barnes as I always wanted having seen the MCU movies and read Ed Brubaker's Captain America run. Bucky Cap to Falcon Cap very much.

Cap's always given all he has. Was he right to not come back and stay with Peggy? What does that mean for Peggy's life prior to that, when she gave that interview in Captain America: The Winter Soldier about her husband saved by Steve, is that husband now Steve or someone replaced by him? I've had little to zero time travel usage since a kid. Only Doctor Who in very recent times. The positive here was going back to past MCU times once more and characters react to seeing themselves as Avengers: Endgame is a rightful love in to the MCU.

Edited by The Natural