DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

If Thor is going to be featured in a co-leading role in GotG Vol. 3, I don't need a Thor 4 to be honest. But if he's just going to be a background player, or whatever, then yeah, sign me up. Which also brings me to something else that I didn't really like - Thor stayed fat the entire movie. I get why, but.... man, it was weird. It was funny at first, but when it's Iron Man, Captain America and FAT THOR confronting past-Thanos... man, I just don't know. Seemed odd.

EDIT: by the way - Howard The Duck was in the final battle against Thanos and his army. I guess that means he was dusted, too.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, RolandTHTG said:

Last hour is the greatest accomplishment in the history of cinematic theatre. So much shit going on at once. Fucking incredible.

Wow.

I mean, I’m glad you liked it, and I’m not trying to throw cold water on your enjoyment of it, but...man, you realize that’s all pre-viz CGI shit, right?  I mean, three cheers for modern CPU processing power, but, to me, that can’t hold a candle to some of the great epic scenes that have staged without that benefit.  That’s a real accomplishment.

Sir David Lean shits all over the end of this movie, all by himself.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't give a shit if it was CGI, I don't care for this automatic shitting on CGI.  That end battle was fantastic.

11 Years, 21 Movies, and we finally got

AVENGERS...... assemble!

• Like 11

9 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I was thinking about Infinity War pretty much never happening now, due to the time travel. With that said, shouldn't that have undone literally everything done by the original snap, since they killed Thanos before he could do it?  Time travel stories are such a headache.

They tried to address this in the scene where they talk about how going to the past means that past is their future, and their present is now their past.  They’re  not actually changing anything that happened in their past, they’re instead creating alternate timelines (or visiting one of the 14 billion timelines Dr. Strange saw). Killing past Nebula doesn’t mean their Nebula is dead, it just means a new timeline was created where she died.

My favorite callback was Spidey’s insta-kill mode.  I also dug Cap getting a happy ending rather than a death by heroic sacrifice.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

I don't see how. They covered a good deal with the time they had. Anything more would have been unnecessary excess. 

I disagree. The thing they didn't really cover is Thanos and Gamora - Thanos was a much diminished figure by virtue of it being a Thanos that hadn't sacrificed Gamora. They diminished him by saying that the battle had essentially become personal, and maybe by him destroying and recreating the world (though that probably that's a better plan than actually dusting people and creating structural chaos - and they missed the chance to explore that.

Given that Thanos was essentially the protagonist of the last movie, I felt they could have done a lot more with him.

I loved it. I'm glad I rushed to see it before I was spoiled on ANYTHING. 

But I don't think something so inherently fan servicey is going to pass the test of time. I think this will be a worse movie in five years than it is now. 

That won't diminish the experience of seeing this in a theater with a full, clapping crowd, at the end of this crazy ten year journey though.

It feels like they have an uphill fight for Phase 4 after this until they have the Fox cavalry for phase 5.

More tomorrow, I'm sure.

Edit: I'm surprised to see people having so much difficulty with the time travel bit, but it's classic Marvel time travel from the comics. You can't go back and change time. All you do is create an alternate reality. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

My post after seeing the movie yesterday didn't go through. I'll retype it. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12322919

Back from Avengers: Endgame. Great film with three different parts to it. First hour deals with the Decimation effects, second the Time Heist and third is the culmination of it all with the snapped characters back. Endgame is a fitting name as that's it for major MCU characters in Captain America, Iron Man and Black Widow. I had a feeling Iron Man would die, he was the start and this was the end getting the sendoff.

Film flew by. Callbacks to lines/moments in previous MCU moments. I'm thinking Hail Hydra, I can do this all day and I am Iron Man. Two happened I've been waiting for, Captain America worthy to wield Mjolnir and Avengers Assemble. Iron Man and Captain America the MVPs. Spider-Man will always be the Marvel character to me yet Cap is my favourite inside the MCU. Enjoyed seeing Captain Steve Rogers back in the Super-Soldier suit from Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Edwin Jarvis' film debutant.

Kevin Feige, Christopher Markus/Stephen McFeely, Anthony Russo/Joe Russo and the cast deserve a lot of credit.

Negatives: Time travel is something that I'm not usually into. Seems you either go with it here or not. Nobody saw Thor like this coming. Not sure yet how I feel about Thor here. Black Widow dying. Captain America giving the Shield to Sam Wilson rather than Bucky Barnes, always wanted that for Barnes so that at all didn't sit well with me.

Avengers: Endgame either places inside or just sits out of my top five. Preferred Infinity War on a first and only watch of Endgame till DVD arrival. The story felt tighter, Thanos standing out, the downbeat ending.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

My Dad went to the toilet as I was looking for our seats and heard the biggest spoiler of them all, Tony Stark dying by a group of lads talking about the movie. Felt bad for him.

4 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I disagree. The thing they didn't really cover is Thanos and Gamora - Thanos was a much diminished figure by virtue of it being a Thanos that hadn't sacrificed Gamora. They diminished him by saying that the battle had essentially become personal, and maybe by him destroying and recreating the world (though that probably that's a better plan than actually dusting people and creating structural chaos - and they missed the chance to explore that.

Given that Thanos was essentially the protagonist of the last movie, I felt they could have done a lot more with him.

Thanos and Gamora was covered in IW. Would have been an unnecessary retread to deal with it again. Thanos as IW's protag was somewhat necessary for us to understand him and his goals. There was no real reason to go deep into him again with us already having that understanding from IW.

Edited by Eivion

So if the snap isn't undone, and everyone Thanos killed between 2014 and 2023 didn't immediately poof back into existence, is the reality stone now undefended? The Collector is dead, yeah?

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

So if the snap isn't undone, and everyone Thanos killed between 2014 and 2023 didn't immediately poof back into existence, is the reality stone now undefended? The Collector is dead, yeah?

The Infinity Stones in our time were destroyed by Thanos and no longer exist. Collector is still dead. 

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Captain America giving the Shield to Sam Wilson rather than Bucky Barnes, always wanted that for Barnes so that at all didn't sit well with me.

I would have preferred that too, since Bucky is Cap's best friend, but I also think Cap realizes that the public may not be able to accept Bucky at this point. The media and the public only know him as a killer, even if there was a minor attempt to absolve him in Civil War.  It felt weird to me that Buck didn't get to have Steve's final conversation though.  I did like that their talk before Cap went back in time mirrored the one they had in First Avenger, though.

I watched it a second time lol. To be honest, it's a good film on it's own, but will have diminishing returns if you weren't invested in all of the films before it. Say, if you just saw the "big" ones, you're missing a ton here, due to all the small lines and callbacks.

I reckon I can accept the alternate reality explanation. I mean, our only basis for the rules of time travel come from movies, so you can technically do whatever the hell you want.

I hope there is a DVD extra of Luis giving the rundown of the entire saga.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Thanks 1

I’m on my phone and fucked up the quote boxes, so I’ll just say to Matt D’s point, as it ended I thought that it probably wouldn’t hold up as a great movie, but it was a fucking amazing experience.  

As to RandomAct’s point about Steve/Bucky, it was cool to me that while they took Steve off the board, he’s still alive, so we could get Old Man Rogers somewhere, or even shenanigans leading to his de-aging. 

My gut is that Nat and Gamora are out there somewhere, given that Hulk said he tried to bring Nat back and Quill was shown still searching for Gamora.

• Like 1

Nat isn't,  but Gamora is around, but its 2013 Gamora, not the one that Thanos killed to get the Soul Stone.  

They already have an out to deage Steve via the Quantum Accelerator if the need ever arises due to the scene where Banner was testing things and ran time through Scott instead of Scott through time.

2013 Gamora should have dusted with the rest of Thanos' army, shouldn't she?

I wonder what Cap and Red Skull talked about, when he went to take the Soul Stone back?

• Like 2

I wanna say that at that point, Gamora wasn't part of Thanos' forces anymore and that is what Tony dusted, so a technicality and Gamora just up and took off after the battle.  Otherwise, she's as toast as Nat.

A fully "set in the past" Black Widow movie is going to feel really weird after this. 

As for Gamora, it was Tony doing the snapping. It's the Infinity Gauntlet. It gives you the powers of a god. Tony's a programmer. It's not that hard to put in a simple "if, then" conditional line into the code of what he was doing. 

• Like 1

Might be a longshot, but the "soul for a soul" rule with the Soul Stone might be a cheat they could use to get Widow back. Like, Cap returns it and requests her life in exchange?  Seems far fetched, but not impossible.

• Like 1

I think it would be astoundingly shitty if they walked back any of the three big character exits, and surely Feige is smarter than that.  That’s the kinda shit that gets people burnt out on actual comics.

• Like 3