DVDVR Message Board

Money in the Bank X - May 19, 2019

30 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not my work, just grabbed it from a Google image search.

Two of those I agree with, but a rope break should still stop the count in almost any match. You might not be able to disqualify for not breaking, but the ropes still put you "out of bounds" so a finish can't happen.

Thank you! That really boiled my piss when Cole was yelling about how the pinfall should count because it's no DQ. No DQ doesn't mean no rules, you just can't be disqualified for breaking them. The ref still has to uphold the rules if he can.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not my work, just grabbed it from a Google image search.

Two of those I agree with, but a rope break should still stop the count in almost any match. You might not be able to disqualify for not breaking, but the ropes still put you "out of bounds" so a finish can't happen.

To further this point, former referee Jimmy Korderas said that the one time a rope break absolutely doesn't matter at all is in a Falls Count Anywhere match. In a cage match, it negates the pin attempt.

It's one of those things WWE has played too loose with over the years and no one can keep track of the actual rule.

• Like 1

Womens MITB was probably my favorite of the 3 they've done. Didnt quite get the Carmella injury angle, but other than that I thought it was done well. Probably the only time I've felt like Nikki Cross belonged in the ring. Bayley winning was the right choice judging from the reaction. 

Becky vs Lacey could have happened on RAW. Not a bad match, but it didnt feel important and wasn't worked like a match with any importance. Didnt last long either. Crowd really dug Becky, but I dont feel any of that heat was absorbed by Lacey.  

Becky vs Charlotte was just as short and uneventful but had more of a story going in that carried it through. Bayley cashing in was kinda obvious when she ran out to make the save, but it was a hot angle and was received well. 

I hope the guys involved in the MITB match will get a bonus comparable to Brocks salary. A complete fuckery to have him walk out and grab the case after they've worked a crazy dangerous match that didnt elevate any of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

To further this point, former referee Jimmy Korderas said that the one time a rope break absolutely doesn't matter at all is in a Falls Count Anywhere match. In a cage match, it negates the pin attempt.

Of course - I'm pretty sure WWE has had a rope break stop a count in a Falls Count Anywhere match at least once in recent years.

In a tag team match, if the non legal partner breaks up a pin or submission hold more than once, they are disqualified. In WWE rules. Not elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

In a tag team match, if the non legal partner breaks up a pin or submission hold more than once, they are disqualified. In WWE rules. Not elsewhere.

Also, and I remember this happening in one match and it cost the Road Warriors a title reign, WWE would have you believe that a pinfall in a tag match won't count if the non-pinning partner is in the ring at the time of the pinfall.

... which ...

...is ...

... BULLSHIT.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

He got what he wanted. That nose ring was a sloppy drunken night decision that he regretted and Hunter helped him get it removed. 

Hunter could have been a real friend and help Big Dave with the navel ring and navel tattoo.

I watched the ppv and ignored mostly all of it from a story standpoint and watched it just a straight wrestling card and I was mostly entertained.  I really wanted to see Andrade and Dana win. Loved Bayley winning especially when she ran up the ladder and Mandy was like "ah shit". That was an amazing ending. Later in the night I was literally yelling "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DEBATING...CASH THE DAMN THING IN" when she was having doubts about doing it. It's good she can emote that kind of reaction, not many people in that company can.

I figured Brock would interfere in Seth's match. Him winning the MITB was a nifty little surprise.

But who cares about all that.

ELIAS WENT ELECTRIC. His late 60's Dylan era is going to be amazing.

4 hours ago, AverageKong said:

I hope the guys involved in the MITB match will get a bonus comparable to Brocks salary. A complete fuckery to have him walk out and grab the case after they've worked a crazy dangerous match that didnt elevate any of them. 

I never understand this line of reasoning.

Firstly, they would've had to do the same amount of moves no matter who won the match. The wrestlers knew Lesnar was coming out to win, yet they still chose to do all the high risk manoeuvres.

Secondly, it's not real. They're actors performing in roles. They act out the story that the company wants to tell that night. Do you think actors in other productions get bent out of shape because of what is scripted to happen?

Endgame spoiler as an example

Near the end of the big battle, Captain Marvel comes out of nowhere to save the day taking down the big spaceship. Are the other actors all whining afterwards "Why the fuck did we have to film all these battle scenes when Brie Larsen (who wasn't even here for any of it) just comes swanning in and gets the big moment?"

No, because they're actors telling a story and that's what the story called for.

I quoted you but I'm not having a go at you specifically because I see it all the time on here. Between wrestling and Game of Thrones (not necessarily on here, I haven't entered the thread), I'm bewildered lately as to how worked up people get in reacting to storyline decisions in fictional worlds.

47 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

I never understand this line of reasoning.

Firstly, they would've had to do the same amount of moves no matter who won the match. The wrestlers knew Lesnar was coming out to win, yet they still chose to do all the high risk manoeuvres.

Secondly, it's not real. They're actors performing in roles. They act out the story that the company wants to tell that night. Do you think actors in other productions get bent out of shape because of what is scripted to happen?

It's being reported that Brocks involvement was kept a secret until moments before the match. It's likely they had already planned most of those spots ahead of time... days or weeks in advance. It would have made no sense to completely ditch their plans because management chose to throw Brock in last minute. So yeah they're doing the same moves, but NO they didnt really know of Brocks involvement. 

No it's not real...  but that's how they make a living. If they're not compensated for risking their bodies in such a way and someone else is making millions doing the minimum, why wouldnt they be upset? Because the story called for that? They're just doing their jobs? 

I'm not expecting anyone to throw a fit because Brock stole their thunder in a scripted show... I'm expecting them to throw a fit if they didnt get paid GOOD. I hope that you can understand that line of reasoning.

• Like 2

Finn Balor was gonna take those moves and get paid whatever he gets paid regardless of who wins the match. So Lesnar wins and you believe he should get paid more because Lesnar gets paid more. If Orton wins, should Balor get paid more? Orton presumably makes more than the rest of them. If Ali wins, is it ok to pay the wrestlers less? Their pay shouldn't be based on who's booked to win the match and isn't. They're salaried and make whatever they make based on whatever their individual contracts dictate.

They get PPV bonuses in addition to what their contracts dictate. So yeah, if Lesnar gets paid more and didnt put his body on the line... I think they should be compensated with more money. Again it's not about what was booked, scripted, wins/losses. It's the ethics of the company looking out for these guys who put their bodies on the line to make a living.