DVDVR Message Board

2019 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

As far as I know, we've never had a situation where a movie's release date gets moved out of the contest range this early.  Like, before the first scoring update was even posted.  So there is no precedent for "go back and take New Mutants off your entry".

Anyone who posted an entry with Long Shot on it, that's locked in, and the Adjustment Bureau rule applies to New Mutants.

Anyone who posted an entry without Long Shot on it can go back and edit it if they want.

Anyone who has yet to post an entry, don't put New Mutants on it.  (Don't put Long Shot on it either)

SK's question:

11 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Question that just came up from @EVA saying the "New Mutants" change...

When adjusting my ballot to take it off the list, I was using the "move everything else up one until the place that the new movie fits in goes there." One of the movies I happened to have underneath was "Detective Pikachu", which would come out this week.

My question- if something like this happens and ballots need to be adjusted, if the movie has come out, is it locked into that exact position?

If you posted an entry with a movie that has now already come out, your ENTIRE ENTRY is locked.

JRGoldman hasn't yet posted a valid entry btw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ADJUSTMENT BUREAUED~!

One question/idea

Could you put another August movie in New Mutants spot? Thus giving folks who edit/enter the same number to choose from?

And tangentially - could another option be those who did have New Mutants AND Long Shot do a straight swap edit. (Meaning - they could replace New Mutants but it would have to be in the same exact spot they had New Mutants)

Only reason I ask is because I feel like the AB rules bone anyone who had New Mutants at the extreme end of their ballots.

But I also don't understand the math.

I am done rambling

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Artemis Fowl also got moved to 2020 so good thing that didn't end up in the pool

...and Dora took its spot.

So Dora's release date has now moved to August 9th.

• Thanks 1

Fuck.  The movie I picked as my shitburger express to victory got Adjustment Bureaued.

Do I get to tinker with my ballot or am I locked in since Long Shot is theaters now and my ballot is officially active.

I'm guessing that I have to keep Long Shot in it's current positions if I am allowed to make changes to account for New Mutants release date being moved.

Edited by J.T.

55 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Fuck.  The movie I picked as my shitburger express to victory got Adjustment Bureaued.

Do I get to tinker with my ballot or am I locked in since Long Shot is theaters now and my ballot is officially active.

I'm guessing that I have to keep Long Shot in it's current positions if I am allowed to make changes to account for New Mutants release date being moved.

I technically misspoke earlier when I said a ballot with Long Shot on it would be locked.  Someone could technically throw out their entire ballot and submit a new one that does not have Long Shot or New Mutants on it.  So you could do that, but you can't tinker with your existing ballot.

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

One question/idea

Could you put another August movie in New Mutants spot? Thus giving folks who edit/enter the same number to choose from?

And tangentially - could another option be those who did have New Mutants AND Long Shot do a straight swap edit. (Meaning - they could replace New Mutants but it would have to be in the same exact spot they had New Mutants)

I took some time to think about this.  If I did this, the new movie would basically (probably) be something like the 21st biggest movie of the summer, something that didn't make the cut for the original list of 20, and people would know to put it near the bottom of their box office lists.  This would give an advantage to late entrants.

I am ok with someone who entered late being penalized by having fewer movies to choose from, as opposed to someone who entered early being penalized by not being able to rank a more obvious movie.  So no, I don't think it's something I should do.

Also think the Adjustment Bureau rule is fair and people shouldn't need to swap anything out.

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Also think the Adjustment Bureau rule is fair and people shouldn't need to swap anything out.

I am cool with anything - I think it is just not being able to visually understand (in my own mind) the AB effect on rankings

Just because I am convinced you will definitely get points via the AB rule where I could have gotten my New Mutants placement perfect. And that the plus/minus is much greater if you put it at one of the extremes (like I had New Mutants #14 on my RT list)

Of course I am paranoid and an idiot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

@S.K.o.S. - I have officially edited my ballot (just a minor change on my RT list due to removing New Mutants)

I am very grateful that every edited post on this board now shows the time it was edited.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Just because I am convinced you will definitely get points via the AB rule where I could have gotten my New Mutants placement perfect. And that the plus/minus is much greater if you put it at one of the extremes (like I had New Mutants #14 on my RT list)

First sentence is correct.  Second sentence is not.  It doesn't matter where you put New Mutants on the list.

Box Office 

1. Spider-Man Far from Home

2. The Lion King

3. Toy Story 4

4. Aladdin

5. MIB International 

6. Hobbs & Shaw 

7. Dark Phoenix 

8. Godzilla King of the Monsters 

9. John Wick: Chapter 3 Parabellum 

10. The Secret Life of Pets 2

11. Detective Pikachu 

12. Rocketman 

13. Shaft 

14. Child's Play 

15. Stuber 

RT 

1. The Lion King 

2. Spider-Man Far from Home 

3.  Toy Story 4

4. Rocketman 

5. The Secret Life of Pets 2

6. Aladdin 

7. MIB International 

8.  John Wick 3 

9. Shaft 

10. Hobbs & Shaw 

11. Child's Play 

12. Stuber 

13. Detective Pikachu 

14. Godzilla: King of the Monsters 

15. Dark Phoenix 

Tiebreaker Spiderman Far from Home $300 Million 

Edited by Hail Sabin

Alright, I'm in.

Box Office:

1.   Toy Story 4 
2.   The Lion King
3.   Spider-Man: Far From Home
4.   Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
5.   Detective Pikachu
6.   Aladdin
7.   The Secret Life of Pets 2
8.   Godzilla: King of Monsters
9.   Dark Phoenix
10. Men In Black International
11. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
12. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
13. Rocketman
14. Shaft
15. Stuber

Rotten Tomatoes:

1.    Toy Story 4
2.   Spider-Man: Far From Home
3.   John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
4.   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
5.   The Lion King
6.   Rocketman
7.   Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
8.   Godzilla: King of Monsters
9.   Detective Pikachu
10. Men In Black International
11. Aladdin
12. Dark Phoenix
13. The Secret Life of Pets 2
14. Stuber
15. Shaft

Tiebreaker: Dark Phoenix $150 million

Box Office:

1. Toy Story 4
  2. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  3. Lion King
  4. Aladdin
  5. Hobbs & Shaw
  6. Detective Pikachu
  7. Godzilla: King of Monsters
  8. Dark Phoenix
  9. Men in Black International
  10. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  11. John Wick 3
  12. Shaft
  13. Child's Play
  14. Dora and the Lost City of Gold
  15. Playmobil: The Movie

Rotten Tomatoes:

1. Toy Story 4
  2. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  3. John Wick 3
  4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  5. Lion King
  6. Rocketman
  7. Godzilla: King of Monsters
  8. Secret Life of Pets 2
  9. Aladdin
  10. Hobbs & Shaw
  11. Detective Pikachu
  12. Men in Black International
  13. Dark Phoenix
  14. Stuber
  15. Playmobil: The Movie

Tiebreaker: Toy Story 4 $520 Million

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

29 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

To be the first fresh video game movie on RT, obviously. 

At first I was like "There is no way this can be true" then I looked and Holy Shit! It's True.

Tomb Raider and Rampage are tied for highest rating at 52%

• Like 1