DVDVR Message Board

2019 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The problem is large corporations and the spineless people who own/run them would normally rather flip a coin on proven commodities than roll a twenty-sided die on a new idea. These things always always always boil down to risk mitigation.

My brother got me a book for Christmas called Algorithms to Live By that I really need to finish reading. In the chapter on "Explore/Exploit problems", the author(s?) makes the point that Hollywood's increasing reliance on sequels and established franchises makes perfect sense - if you make the assumption that the whole Hollywood movie studio system is winding down. I mean, it's rational to gamble on the possible production of a new franchise that will make you more money in the years to come if those years to come number a hundred or more. But if you think the game is only going to be running for another decade or two, that gamble is much less appealing.

10 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

My brother got me a book for Christmas called Algorithms to Live By that I really need to finish reading. In the chapter on "Explore/Exploit problems", the author(s?) makes the point that Hollywood's increasing reliance on sequels and established franchises makes perfect sense - if you make the assumption that the whole Hollywood movie studio system is winding down. I mean, it's rational to gamble on the possible production of a new franchise that will make you more money in the years to come if those years to come number a hundred or more. But if you think the game is only going to be running for another decade or two, that gamble is much less appealing.

I don't know if I entirely agree with the premise, but there's definitely a pervasive issue with short-term thinking in the studio system. And when you have managers incentivized to produce results or justify decisions in blocks of time that are sure as shit shorter than 100+ years... Well, everyone's a hack and everything's shitty and someone out there is definitely stupid enough to take a chance on my idea for Friday Night Lights with quiddich. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Reading some of the reviews...Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen as Timon and Pumbaa and John Kani (although underused) good and mostly everything else is terrible. Got it.

Are some theaters struggling because of high definition and streaming services or is it because most of these tent poles have been garbage?  I think the answer can be both but I feel that if something is quality (or even if it's not quality but spectacle) people are going to see it.  I will always prefer the theater experience if a movie is worth it. 

Would I sound odd if I said FINALLY the reviewers have stopped blowing the Disney Live Action trend. Here is the biggest problem with those movies, and this is a total soapbox opinion, but those movies cannot just be “pretty good”, because you are going against some legitimately amazing source material. And the one thing I keep coming back to is one question: How many of the Live Action Disney movies were as good as the originals? Because the only one I think you can even argue for is Jungle Book, and I don’t agree with that argument.

If your source material is one of the greatest movies ever, and your movie is just a less energetic and lively version of that movie, why should anyone care?

• Like 3

People do care when you look at the box office results but I think over time we will see that it really was just nostalgia as the driving force.  I don't believe any of these live action remakes are going to be timeless like the animated classics that came before them.  So that's why it's nothing more than a quick cash grab..   but Disney is going to get away with it for now because nostalgia.  I just feel for the kids who didn't get to experience the animated originals first. 

3 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Would I sound odd if I said FINALLY the reviewers have stopped blowing the Disney Live Action trend. Here is the biggest problem with those movies, and this is a total soapbox opinion, but those movies cannot just be “pretty good”, because you are going against some legitimately amazing source material. And the one thing I keep coming back to is one question: How many of the Live Action Disney movies were as good as the originals? Because the only one I think you can even argue for is Jungle Book, and I don’t agree with that argument.

If your source material is one of the greatest movies ever, and your movie is just a less energetic and lively version of that movie, why should anyone care?

I was a little too creeped out by Jungle Book, which is why I don't think I've watched a Lion King live action remake trailer all the way through. I thought Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast were decent but otherwise forgettable. Dumbo was out of theaters by the time I got a chance to see it. Still haven't seen it. Tim Burton is very hit or miss with me anyway. I was SOMEHOW less creeped out by Christopher Robin, and thought that was solid. I thought Guy Ritchie was a strange choice to direct Aladdin because he has fallen in love with these overlong, glossy action films which bomb spectacularly that I thought he was always auditioning to direct a Bond film as soon as Sam Mendes left. I mean I didn't hate it. The casting was a bit uninspired, and I thought Will Smith was the only one with a semblance of command or presence (Magnussen was funny when he was on screen). I'm not a musical type guy, but I was actually happy when they broke into song and dance. That movie needed whatever life and campiness it could conjure.

With that said, besides cleaning up at the box office and on demand/DVD/blu-ray business, the ROI is going to be very low compared to the originals. Unless it's vastly superior, it's going to always pale in comparison even if it does well over a billion at the box office. When you start cranking them out with little regard to quality and more concern with stunt casting, the cultural resonance of these intellectual properties is going to be severely lessened. Disney is becoming the Pat Boone of childhood memories.

50 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

If it's shot for shot (or close to it) you know someone is going to put up a renegade cut where they dub in all of Jeremy Irons dialog from the original. 

This and started with the trailer:

Of all the live-action remakes, this always seemed like the most preposterous of them all. Since unlike Jungle Book, or any of the other films they’ve given this treatment to, The Lion King features zero humans. So you are in essence making a completely animated CG film. But of course this is supposed to be a “Live-action film”, and these characters have to look realistic to set itself apart from the 90’s cartoonish animated feature. But... I don’t know? It’s just really fucking stupid. 

People recently have been joking online with “What’s next, Toy Story....”. I’m sorry, but this is it. This is the ridiculous live-action remake that makes no logical sense creatively.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

It's not like Disney hasn't also released Zootopia and Moana and Wreck-it-Ralph 2 AND Finding Dory and Coco and Cars 3 and Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 in the last three years. Just three. These CGI remakes are basically just bonus because the market and technology allows it. 

19 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Lion King wasn't unanimously at the top of RT lists.

14 people put it in their top 3. 4 more people had it 4th or 5th.

Then one person put it 6th, one put it 9th, one put it 11th, and one left it off their RT list.

Right now it's at 55% (although that seems to be fluctuating) which would put it 10th among the 15 movies we have numbers for (if you include Stuber, which is at 44%).

Worth noting that the guy who put it 9th is JRGoldman, who was already in 1st place.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lion_king

?

BTW - Far From Home had dropped to 90% Fresh and if I remember the tiebreaker correctly if it stays there it will actually be below John Wick

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - Far From Home had dropped to 90% Fresh and if I remember the tiebreaker correctly if it stays there it will actually be below John Wick

That will jack up my RT, but Child's Play is my tiebreaker.

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That will jack up my RT, but Child's Play is my tiebreaker.

Just to clarify - I meant the tiebreaker SKOS uses when two movies have the same RT score

It is usually based on percentage and since Far From Home has over 300 reviews to the 200 for John Wick - JW should be ahead (but I admittedly didnt do the actual math)

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just to clarify - I meant the tiebreaker SKOS uses when two movies have the same RT score

I thought that's what you meant but I needed you to clarify your clarification.

UPDATE 10 OF 21 - through July 11

Standings

1 [- 1] JRGoldman - 14 points (8/6, tiebreak 0.581)
2 [- 2] Paco - 16 points (10/6, tiebreak 0.047)
3 [ 4] Niners Fan in CT - 18 points (6/12, tiebreak 0.178)
4 [ 3] The Z - 18 points (10/8, tiebreak n/a)
5 [ 6] West Newbury Bad Boy - 20 points (12/8, tiebreak 0.597)
6 [ 5] Control - 22 points (8/14, tiebreak 0.033)
7 [ 11] The Natural - 24 points (10/14, tiebreak 0.2)
8 [ 7] J.T. - 24 points (12/12, tiebreak 1.344)
9 [ 10] SorceressKnight - 24 points (14/10, tiebreak n/a)
10 [ 8] Elsalvajeloco - 24 points (10/14, tiebreak n/a)
11 [ 9] gatling - 26 points (14/12, tiebreak 0.179)
12 [- 12] ivpvideos - 26 points (8/18, tiebreak n/a)
13 [- 13] Rippa - 28 points (12/16, tiebreak n/a)
14 [ 15] EVA - 34 points (18/16, tiebreak 1.337)
15 [ 18] The Unholy Dragon - 36 points (22/14, tiebreak 0.018)
16 [ 14] King Leonidas of Sparta - 36 points (22/14, tiebreak 0.369)
17 [ 16] DreamBroken - 36 points (24/12, tiebreak 1.405)
18 [ 17] Phantom Lord - 36 points (18/18, tiebreak n/a)
19 [ 20] Ace - 42 points (24/18, tiebreak 0.483)
20 [ 19] RossWB - 44 points (16/28, tiebreak 0.796)
21 [- 21] Kuetsar - 48 points (28/20, tiebreak n/a)
22 [- 22] Hail Sabin - 60 points (28/32, tiebreak 0.309)

Box office

1 [ 2] Toy Story 4 - $325,704,574 (21 days)
2 [ 1] Aladdin - $275,310,128 (28 days)
3 [ 7] Spider-Man Far From Home - $229,229,305 (10 days)
4 [ 3] John Wick 3 - $142,526,905 (28 days)
5 [ 4] Secret Life of Pets 2 - $135,058,335 (28 days)
6 [ 5] Detective Pikachu - $134,421,719 (28 days)
7 [ 6] Godzilla - $104,530,951 (28 days)
8 [- 8] Rocketman - $80,303,960 (28 days)
9 [- 9] Men In Black Int'l - $74,268,597 (28 days)
10 [- 10] Dark Phoenix - $64,198,317 (28 days)
11 [- 11] Long Shot - $29,569,693 (28 days)
12 [- 12] Child's Play - $27,725,516 (21 days)
13 [- 13] Shaft - $20,378,908 (28 days)

Rotten Tomatoes

1 [- 1] Toy Story 4 - 368/376 = 98% (21 days)
2 [- 2] Spider-Man Far From Home - 317/352 = 90% (10 days)
3 [- 3] John Wick 3 - 266/297 = 90% (28 days)
4 [- 4] Rocketman - 292/327 = 89% (28 days)
5 [- 5] Long Shot - 208/258 = 81% (28 days)
6 [- 6] Detective Pikachu - 176/265 = 66% (28 days)
7 [- 7] Child's Play - 102/163 = 63% (21 days)
8 [- 8] Secret Life of Pets 2 - 75/131 = 57% (28 days)
9 [- 9] Aladdin - 186/327 = 57% (28 days)
10 [- 10] Godzilla - 123/305 = 40% (28 days)
11 [- 11] Shaft - 33/105 = 31% (28 days)
12 [- 12] Dark Phoenix - 75/331 = 23% (28 days)
13 [- 13] Men In Black Int'l - 64/286 = 22% (28 days)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's still above for now.  John Wick is locked in at 266/297 = 89.6%, Far From Home as of yesterday was at 317/352 = 90.1%.  Obviously very close though, so it's possible Far From Home could drop below it.