DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Best of Super Juniors 26

Raziel

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

What singles match in the past 8 years would point to Moxley in the G1 being good?

I think Moxley is going to work his ass off. After listening to him on TiJ, I could understand why he'd be unmotivated in the 'E. I get the impression he feels like he's got something to prove.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

11 hours ago, EVA said:

I feel like the debuting guys always win these matches.  But the politics here could get interesting.  While AEW is cool with their guys wrestling for NJPW overseas, I’m not sure how cool they would be with Ambrose headlining New Japan shows in the US.  And their US Champ has always been central to their strategy in the US.  Can’t see AEW signing off on Ambrose at the G-1 show in Dallas.  But who knows.

I mean if they weren’t okay with it they should’ve made it clear before they signed him. That’s on them.

Whether it would be good or not, I can't say, but I'd rather see Moxley bring something different to the G1 than Makabe, YOSHI-HASHI, or Tama Tonga doing their same underwhelming shit.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, EVA said:

Whether it would be good or not, I can't say, but I'd rather see Moxley bring something different to the G1 than Makabe, YOSHI-HASHI, or Tama Tonga doing their same underwhelming shit.

Yes, because when I think of stale and underwhelming over the past 4-5 years, Moxley doesn't come to mind at all.

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yes, because when I think of stale and underwhelming over the past 4-5 years, Moxley doesn't come to mind at all.

Eh, he'd be coming into a new context with (presumably) fresh motivation.  I wouldn't necessarily expect the same type of performances he'd been putting in the last few years when he was becoming increasingly miserable in WWE.  And if it did turn out that way...well, I can skip those matches just as easily as I skip YOSHI-HASHI matches.  It would be an interesting failure, if nothing else.

• Like 1

Thing is Mox is kind of a would-be Funk... and I'm not sure whether WWE doesn't allow for that kind of guy or whether ALL high level wrestling these days doesn't. I am definitely willing to check him out though, and I think he will be money in AEW, but I do thirst for workers in New Japan rather than around the arena smoke and mirrors guys. 

Rocky is low-key having one of the strongest performances in the entire tourney. Love him coming out tonight rocking his old Black Tiger IV mask to fuck with BUSHI.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, alstein said:

ELP vs Ospreay is a must-watch.  Ospreay really brought the hate and ELP brought the heeling, and they both brought the goods.   Depending on your tastes this was best match of the tourney.

I already like ELP a lot after seeing this and a couple other matches from BOSJ.  Him against a fired up Ospreay was a treat to watch and man did it deliver.

Also have to echo the love for Rocky/ELP and it is great to see after all these years Rocky is still killing it in matches like this.  Got a good amount of watching to do but between recommendations here and whatever sounds neat have no shortage of good shit to watch.

• Like 2

Rocky/ELP didn't quite connect for me until it got hot down the finish.  ELP is a talented performer but he really needs to tighten up some of that offence (chops, etc.), and subtract some of the cartoon to his mostly strong heel act.  Looking forward to the Ospreay-ELP match.  This is my first foray into the NJPW World since my days in the tape trade.  

EDIT: Ospreay-ELP was pretty fantastic. That Phantasmo-Ref nonsense down the end really shed some of it's star power, but pretty excellent nonetheless. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
Added info

I watched way more of the tournament matches than I was expecting beforehand. Those cards with nothing but 10 BOSJ matches amazingly just flew by.

Equally amazing was finding myself so emotionally invested in two Rocky Romero singles matches (vs Ospreay and vs ELP). The commentary team really added to the drama and you couldn't help but root for the guy. Kevin Kelly has to be the most consistently good play-by-play announcer in the game (at least with Juniors you don't have to hear DESTINOOOOOOO. The Brazilian football commentator impression is my only pet peeve with him).

Ospreay is on another level, and I thought Shingo, ELP, Eagles and to a lesser extent SHO have really shone. Gresham and Titan were just bleh. DOUKI was pretty underwhelming but added a different flavour to the proceedings. All in all, several hours well spent and it's not quite done yet.

• Like 1

I demand a list of best to worst matches, Control watching the Carnival style. Get to work! Hating on Gresham makes the list meaningless though and you will be punished for it by watching the best of Dean Ambrose 2018!

• Like 3

I dug the presentation, with only Ishimori and Shingo's banners remaining on display since they were the only ones left alive. I also find myself cracking up at them holding shows in what looks like a giant convention center sub-hall... I think you had exposed escalators during last Sunday's show. It'd be like if WWE had a TV taping at Javits Center or McCormick Place.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I dug the presentation, with only Ishimori and Shingo's banners remaining on display since they were the only ones left alive. I also find myself cracking up at them holding shows in what looks like a giant convention center sub-hall... I think you had exposed escalators during last Sunday's show. It'd be like if WWE had a TV taping at Javits Center or McCormick Center.

For the record, the place basically is exactly what you said it is.

https://itemehime.com/

Go to their next flea market!

Edited by Ryan

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

In the old days they didn't air all the shows in full, so you get to see all the weird ass venues they run.

I love the uniqueness of the venues. Give me wrestling in different looking venues over set-up's with the same sterilized, soulless feeling.

I don’t hate Gresham, I was impressed by what he did but it was in a detached way and I didn’t feel invested in the matches. He comes across to me like ZSJ minus, as JR would say, the ‘piss and vinegar’.

I haven’t seen much of him though as I don’t watch ROH regularly, so I’m open minded with him outside of the tournament. 

Pretty new to NJPW2019, and wondering, does NJPW World subscription service provide the opportunity to watch the matches with the Japanese commentary?  I wouldn't suggest Kevin Kelly's commentary is horrible, but I've never been a fan of his voice or style of call, and find him distracting.  I just don't connect to his style.  And I know next to nothing of Juice Robinson as a wrestler, but his Indie/Inside/Comedy-style (probably not the best description) commentary frustrates me and takes me out of the match.  I really long to hear the simple monotone to hysterical Japanese commentary.

You might be getting a lot of that on the Japanee commentary if you understand it.  I have no idea what Taichi is like on Japanese commentary, but he's been out there a lot, and I'm imagining he's kinda super over the top heelish.

Edited by alstein