DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Best of Super Juniors 26

Raziel

On 5/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, alstein said:

I'm really enjoying DOUKI.  It's like a LU gimmick thrown into BOSJ. I hope he gets to come to the roster full-time, perhaps as part of a Suzuki/Sabre split/feud.

Also SHO is on the path to having a better BOSJ and Ishii had in last year's G1.  Two absolute bangers,and they had a really tough act to follow after Marty/Ishimori.

I'd say tonight's show was better than any of the G1 shows last year.

I'm not sure how I feel about DOUKI aside from liking his finisher. I was disappointed about El Desperado's injury. Why do a match with Jun Kasai so close to BOSJ?

I really liked Marty/Ishimori and Titan/Shingo.

From night 4, I'm most looking forward to YOH/Bandido and BUSHI/ELP.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love watching Brody King terrorizing the juniors and young lions so far. I wish PCO was on the tour with Marty and Brody. I'd love to see how a Japanese crowd would react to PCO.

He'd be an immediate star.  I'm assuming they didn't want him to upstage Marty's matches with his antics.  But I am hoping after BOSJ that he goes there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can hear them yelling "PEECOOOOOO" in my head now.

They'd pronounce the letters unless I'm interpreting Peecoooooo wrong. I want them to chant it like a word. Peeeecooooo! Peeeeecooooooo! Like this little creature from Breath of Fire 3. Peco.

250?cb=20120924101404

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

He'd be an immediate star.  I'm assuming they didn't want him to upstage Marty's matches with his antics.  But I am hoping after BOSJ that he goes there.

Give me PCO/Minoru Suzuki and PCO/Tomohiro Ishii and I'd be very, very happy.

I really enjoyed Ospreay vs. Rocky Romero. That should have been the main event. I'm coming around on DOUKI and wouldn't mind him sticking around with Suzuki-Gun after the BOSJ. I really hope Bushi and Bandido get some points sooner than later. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

As far as PCO goes, I'm holding out hope that somehow, some way, Villain Enterprises (Scuril/Brody/PCO) have a 6-man match at Dominion, and they go full-bore on the PCO entrance and schtick, and the Osaka crowd goes bonkers.  It doesn't matter if the ROH 6-man titles are on the line or not (but that would be a reason to have a match), they just need 3 willing opponents who will go crazy with them.  

Regarding Knife Pervert II, I'm assuming at this point it's Oka coming back from his UK excursion.  The British flag and the broken Asahi bottle are either perfectly logical or total ruses.  So, my other guess is Mark Haskins, whom Juice works together with in ROH.  Could be more storyline-driven and perhaps a case of Juice putting in a good word for him or something.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alstein said:

ELP vs Ospreay is a must-watch.  Ospreay really brought the hate and ELP brought the heeling, and they both brought the goods.   Depending on your tastes this was best match of the tourney.

This was a fun show (watched the whole thing on our TV with the wife out of town)... a little too heavy on the fuckery in the last few matches but solid overall. I might go with Ospreay/Romero as match of the tournament, but this was really great and the Korakuen atmosphere added a lot.

Spoiler

Really felt like Ospreay was going to run the table now that he's basically a heavyweight, so ELP going over was a big surprise. 

ELP is going to be a star when this is all said and done, and more power to him.

I popped in to praise that match and to say I think Ospreay has been fantastic on this tour. He changes up little things between matches and it makes a big difference. Phantasmo has been looking good too. I dug Scurll/Shingo too, Shingo has some dynamite punches when he wants to. Good show.

• Like 2

I'm near the end of Rocky/YOH. I'll end up finishing the show tonight.

Marty vs. Shingo and Ospreay vs. ELP have been two of my favorite matches thus far. I'm feeling a Shingo vs. ELP finals. I like the card being all tournament matches at this point.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
Just finished night 6
  • Like 1

Add the Bandido match to Ospreay's CV. Three very different matches, all spectacular in their own way.

Kanemaru's HEEL MASTER shirt is amazing. Good to see that little dirtbag get a nice run here.

• Like 2

I loved Marty's ploy to outsmart Sho, although I wish Marty would have won. Props to fan that was shown in the full plague doctor costume.

I noticed Kevin Kelly and Juice have been singing the praises of Robbie Eagles, with Juice even saying Eagles isn't really a bad guy. They also brought up how ELP was the one to take shortcuts in their match. I wonder if this will lead anywhere with Juice or Rocky or Ospreay trying to get him to leave Bullet Club. I think Eagles would be a better fit for CHAOS.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Robbie Eagles has been getting over with the women and children in Japan, and they've had a huge uptick in subs in Australia, so they stumbled onto something really good with Eagles and I think they're going to push him and turn him.

Love the variety we're seeing in this tourney- it's something I don't think you'd get anywhere else- mix of high-flying, technical , and brawling matches.

And the main event tonight is match of the tourney, and with someone you'd never expect as part of it. 

Edited by alstein
  • Like 3

I'm not usually a fan of singles-only shows, but hot holy damn tonight's show was fantastic. Ospreay bringing the YOUNG LION DISCIPLINE to Narita, Scurll/Kanemaru in a wacky Battle of the Bastards, Titan/Dragon Lee in a pure tecnico hail-fellow-well-met showcase... and that main event! Pro wrestling at its best is an art form, and Romero vs ELP was a beautiful work of art that had me cheering at the TV. This was Rocky's first ever Korakuen main event, and he pulled a borderline MOTY candidate out of thin air to christen it. I watched it today with the US crew but (and this is a first) I'm going to rewatch it with the native announcers to see how things flow differently.

• Like 4

Yeah. This is one of those periods where New Japan World’s full price feels like theft. There are a few guys I’m entirely skipping, and some I’m not as high on as others, but there’s still great variety and absurdly high highs. If Shingo does the G1, this could be an all time great few months of singles matches. (Though hell on his body, I’m sure.)

• Like 1