DVDVR Message Board

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Curry Goat is the fucking bomb.  The one thing I love about the B'more area is the wealth of Jamaican and Indian restaurants that serve it.

I went to a Chinese Seafood restaurant in the 804 that served jellyfish. I think the name of the place is Full Kee 

I tried it because I am brave and was a bit disappointed.  It had no flavor at all.

I feel like my exploration of Baltimore's Caribbean food scene stalled out once I found Tashes Ankh on Liberty Road. I used to go to West Indian Flavor on Monument but in retrospect it was only kinda-good. I have a hard time differentiating the really good ones from the kinda-good ones.

I should cook oxtail on my own one of these days. I love the flavor but the meat-to-fat-to-bone ration always makes me feel short-changed.

As OSJ can attest to, New Mexicans will put green chillies into literally anything that's even remotely edible. The oddest one I've actually eaten (and was very good) was a Green Chili Muffin. The wife and I did see a Green Chili Apple Pie once.

IMG-0688.jpg

Edited by Mike Campbell
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Balut. Nothing like a fertilized duck egg and a beer to separate the men from the boys.

My wife was in the Philippines last year for work for two weeks conducting training.  Her training class asked to make a bet with her that if they all got a 90% or better on their quiz she would have to eat balut.  She agreed because she was sure one lady wouldn't come close to a 90%.  Next month she travels to China and then South Africa in June--she won't be making any bets involving weird foods any longer after losing that one.

I've had bear, deer, and an elk chop--not sure any of those qualify really, but maybe skate is weird enough?  It's similar to a stingray, reminded me of scallops flavor wise.  Very tasty.  Had at this little middle of nowhere place, Bonge's Tavern in Perkinsville, IN.  It's a very cool place with amazing food, no reservations, people tailgate in the parking lot waiting on tables--it's an experience.  

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

How was bear?

Well, it's been 28 years but from what I remember it was good.  My 6th grade social studies teacher brought in a few different "exotic" meats for the class to try.  The bear meat was ground up, seasoned, and cooked like sausage.  I'm guessing maybe it had some pork fat added to it when it was ground as it was a little greasy but didn't taste really gamy and I've read that bear fat can be just that.  I don't remember how many other kids tried them but everything he cooked was pretty good.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 2:33 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love calamari. I never tried octopus, but I imagine it can't be that much different from squid. I've seen people repulsed by scallops, but I think they're delicious. 

If I have to choose between scallops and lobster. it's a tough choice... Perhaps best to have some calamari while deciding... As I've mentioned before, my one big regret about moving to New Mexico is the lack of seafood. Having lived fifty years in Seattle I'm picky about two things, coffee and seafood. It isn't at all unusual to polish off two pots of coffee every morning/afternoon.

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

If I have to choose between scallops and lobster. it's a tough choice... Perhaps best to have some calamari while deciding... As I've mentioned before, my one big regret about moving to New Mexico is the lack of seafood. Having lived fifty years in Seattle I'm picky about two things, coffee and seafood. It isn't at all unusual to polish off two pots of coffee every morning/afternoon.

Two pots of coffee? Damn. I don't drink any. I just never developed a taste for it. Orange juice is my drink of choice in the morning.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Yes times 1000!  Unless you're idea of seafood is fucking Long John Silvers. I do miss me some Fish Fry Fridays.

1 minute ago, Mike Campbell said:

Yes times 1000!  Unless you're idea of seafood is fucking Long John Silvers. I do miss me some Fish Fry Fridays.

Long John Silvers is fucking ghastly. I seriously miss Totem House Fish & Chips.

1 hour ago, gatling said:

Well, it's been 28 years but from what I remember it was good.  My 6th grade social studies teacher brought in a few different "exotic" meats for the class to try.  The bear meat was ground up, seasoned, and cooked like sausage.  I'm guessing maybe it had some pork fat added to it when it was ground as it was a little greasy but didn't taste really gamy and I've read that bear fat can be just that.  I don't remember how many other kids tried them but everything he cooked was pretty good.

I wish my social studies teachers were that awesome. Now I really want to try bear. It sounds tasty.

25 minutes ago, OSJ said:

It isn't at all unusual to polish off two pots of coffee every morning/afternoon.

Wow, I feel like I've probably had too much when I've had more than two cups in one day. 

14 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Long John Silvers is fucking ghastly. I seriously miss Totem House Fish & Chips.

Does your end of NM have the Green Chili obsession too?  My mother in law saw one of the roasting stations outside of Wal-Mart, and said the line looked like Black Friday.

Fried Calamari is my favorite bar snack. I'm from the South Jersey Shore, and we use squid for two things, bait and delicious breaded fried rubber bands that you dip in marinara sauce at a bar while watching sports. 

Here in Colorado, fried calamari is a delicacy. You'll pay eight bucks for a small plate. Where I'm from it's served in giant heaps on platters for eight bucks. Last time I was home I tried Buffalo calamari with bleu cheese to dip it in. It was heavenly and there was so much I had to get a take out container and snacked on it for a week.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

Does your end of NM have the Green Chili obsession too?  My mother in law saw one of the roasting stations outside of Wal-Mart, and said the line looked like Black Friday.

Oh yeah, unfortunately for this Seattle boy raised on ***** Phad Thai New Mexico chili does  nothing for me. Well, let me take that back, it does make the buck cheeseburgers at Mickey D's edible, so that's something. It's odd when you consider how bland most Navajo food is, they hold nothing back when it comes to hot peppers. My brother-in-law will routinely get a bag of raw habaneros and munch on them like it was popcorn. Even I shy away from that.

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

Curry Goat is the fucking bomb.  The one thing I love about the B'more area is the wealth of Jamaican and Indian restaurants that serve it.

I went to a Chinese Seafood restaurant in the 804 that served jellyfish. I think the name of the place is Full Kee 

I tried it because I am brave and was a bit disappointed.  It had no flavor at all.

Just so you know, your jellyfish was prepared properly. The shit has no flavor and is a big waste of money. There was a real serious Chinese place by our house in Lake City, by real serious I mean the sort of place that cooks for other Chinese restaurants go to eat before starting their shift. The owners got to know us pretty well as we usually stopped in a couple of times a week and often brought guests. I was saved from the jellyfish as I was ordering a bunch of stuff to take home and feed us for the weekend and when I came to the jellyfish, the owner said "No-no, you'll no like!" and disappeared into the kitchen returning with a very small plate of jellyfish. "You try, but you'll no like!" She was absolutely right. Would have been a waste of like eight bucks. Forget what I got instead, probably an extra order of salt & pepper shrimp as this place is the only one that makes the dish better than I do and I don't give that up easy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Fried Calamari is my favorite bar snack. I'm from the South Jersey Shore, and we use squid for two things, bait and delicious breaded fried rubber bands that you dip in marinara sauce at a bar while watching sports. 

Here in Colorado, fried calamari is a delicacy. You'll pay eight bucks for a small plate. Where I'm from it's served in giant heaps on platters for eight bucks. Last time I was home I tried Buffalo calamari with bleu cheese to dip it in. It was heavenly and there was so much I had to get a take out container and snacked on it for a week.

Fuck, now I have a hankering for calamari.  I'm sure we'll get it at Easter but luckily there's a bar nearby that does a good job with it.  And for $9 in Baltimore you can't go wrong with a big plateful of the good stuff.

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

If I have to choose between scallops and lobster. it's a tough choice

I'll take lobster a billion times over scallops.  Scallops don't sit well with me and lobster is generally pretty damn tasty.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Like most people, I'd like to look back on my life one day and say I've eaten one of every animal. Reading this thread makes me realize how far behind I am.

I'm very far behind and I'm ok with that. 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:04 AM, tbarrie said:

Like most people, I'd like to look back on my life one day and say I've eaten one of every animal. Reading this thread makes me realize how far behind I am.

Start your list with sea cucumber. We'll be waiting for your report. I know I'm damn sure not putting one of those things anywhere near my mouth, they look like a diseased turd.

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Start your list with sea cucumber. We'll be waiting for your report. I know I'm damn sure not putting one of those things anywhere near my mouth, they look like a diseased turd.

They look like Flava Flav?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

The place here that does deer penis soup also does sea cucumber. The thought of that grosses me out way more than the penis.