DVDVR Message Board

Raw is The Firefly Funhouse - 4/22/2019

Dolfan in NYC

55 minutes ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Oh I just jumped off the walls. Tom Savini is 100% my favorite special effects/makeup guy

Savini also did Erick Rowan's sheep masks, along with work for Kalisto and HHH & Stephanie WM entrances.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3431918/exclusive-effects-artists-jason-baker-tom-savini-making-wwe-cool/

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm still boggled by this. I was never a fan of Kay in Shimmer, but she generally looked solid there. There is seeming nothing she can't do now that she could do then so why does she seem to have so much trouble in WWE?

Boggled as well, though she became one of my favs in Shimmer and that she was getting legit great. Pains me to see Meltzer & Alvarez acting like she can't wrestle. I wish there was a way Shimmer would upload the Eagles Vol 35 main event or the Nicole Matthews series so more people could see how good she can be.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Savini also did Erick Rowan's sheep masks, along with work for Kalisto and HHH & Stephanie WM entrances.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3431918/exclusive-effects-artists-jason-baker-tom-savini-making-wwe-cool/

I never knew that but that's really rad. Still amazing how much mileage they got out of the original dollar store sheep mask but the upgrade was remarkable. Hope we get more, maybe some practical effects for one of Bray's big entrances.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Alvarez: "Billie Kay would be bad on a low level indy show

Dave: "At least it was just ten seconds" 

Part of the reason why Billy doesnt shine in the ring is because she really doesnt get booked to work matches lasting more than a few minutes or in this case "ten seconds". Since Shimmer she has gotten stronger, her offense has gotten deeper, but it's hardly seen in televised matches.  She can work though and has done so at the top of high level female shows.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AverageKong said:

Part of the reason why Billy doesnt shine in the ring is because she really doesnt get booked to work matches lasting more than a few minutes or in this case "ten seconds". Since Shimmer she has gotten stronger, her offense has gotten deeper, but it's hardly seen in televised matches.  She can work though and has done so at the top of high level female shows.

That's what some have said but her and Peyton have had lengthier bouts down in NXT and those weren't impressive either. 

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Boggled as well, though she became one of my favs in Shimmer and that she was getting legit great. Pains me to see Meltzer & Alvarez acting like she can't wrestle. I wish there was a way Shimmer would upload the Eagles Vol 35 main event or the Nicole Matthews series so more people could see how good she can be.

It’s almost like 2 different wrestlers. 

Has no one here seen Food Party? Some writer showed Bray Thu Tran, fucking clearly. Much more on cue for that show than Pee Wee or Wonder Showzen.

Also it's nice to see them just embrace the Firefly thing that much.

Edited by bink_winkleman

As probably the only guy who actually missed Bray while he's been out, I am so torn by this. So much of his booking on the main show has been utter garbage. And as much as I love the guy, I'll admit he's done himself no real favors with some of his bullshit promos. But the dude does have a legit charisma. And there's a lot of potential here with a wolf in sheep's clothing deal happening. It's hard to have faith in the creative goons to make this happen, and at least on first glance it's hard to see how this translates into the ring. Does he bring the puppets with him?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's what some have said but her and Peyton have had lengthier bouts down in NXT and those weren't impressive either. 

She actually hasn't had that many lengthier bouts in NXT(televised). Her most notable singles contest was Ember's Takeover debut and that was barely 5 mins. She looked great there imo though. As a team with Peyton they may have worked a few matches above the 5 min mark, but still not enough time in the ring to write either off as bad. 

People obviously have their preferences when it comes to pro wrestling. They look for and appreciate different things. Not being impressed is one thing... Alvarez is reaching with his comment though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

As probably the only guy who actually missed Bray while he's been out, I am so torn by this. So much of his booking on the main show has been utter garbage. And as much as I love the guy, I'll admit he's done himself no real favors with some of his bullshit promos. But the dude does have a legit charisma. And there's a lot of potential here with a wolf in sheep's clothing deal happening. It's hard to have faith in the creative goons to make this happen, and at least on first glance it's hard to see how this translates into the ring. Does he bring the puppets with him?

I’m hoping they go the Death 2 Smoochy route and Bray gets replaced by Bo thus beginning the feud that will include Bray making penis shaped cookies for Bo to show some kids only for Bo to exclaim “IT’S A ROCKET SHIP” and Bray to be foiled leading to a bunch of matches then a tag team. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

In Bray’s defense he was channeling Charles Manson who’s rambling interviews that went nowhere were the basis for his promo style. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AverageKong said:

She actually hasn't had that many lengthier bouts in NXT(televised). Her most notable singles contest was Ember's Takeover debut and that was barely 5 mins. She looked great there imo though. As a team with Peyton they may have worked a few matches above the 5 min mark, but still not enough time in the ring to write either off as bad. 

People obviously have their preferences when it comes to pro wrestling. They look for and appreciate different things. Not being impressed is one thing... Alvarez is reaching with his comment though. 

She had a match with Asuka in NXT too that I thought was quite good.

• Like 1

Watching Alicia's match made me worry for her well-being.  Not just in the "she's a bad wrestler" sense or this was her first time back from a long time.  But I mean I'm not convinced she didn't slip in some alcohol and walked out there with it affecting her in some way.  It might be overreacting on my end but that's what I'm going with.  It wasn't just botching moves but also the stumbling around she did that was concerning.   I hope I'm wrong on this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Watching Alicia's match made me worry for her well-being.  Not just in the "she's a bad wrestler" sense or this was her first time back from a long time.  But I mean I'm not convinced she didn't slip in some alcohol and walked out there with it affecting her in some way.  It might be overreacting on my end but that's what I'm going with.  It wasn't just botching moves but also the stumbling around she did that was concerning.   I hope I'm wrong on this.

I was thinking the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

That one spot that looked like it was maybe supposed to be turn into a head scissors take down by Becky? The announcers even sounded legitimately worried Becky was about to get dropped head first.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 6:20 PM, Godfrey said:

I never knew that but that's really rad. Still amazing how much mileage they got out of the original dollar store sheep mask but the upgrade was remarkable. Hope we get more, maybe some practical effects for one of Bray's big entrances.

By far the creepiest of Rowan's masks:

The John Wayne Gacy Mask

I feel like Rowan's masks, or maybe just the Gacy mask should be hanging on a wall in the background of the Firefly Funhouse.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2