DVDVR Message Board

If you've stopped watching WWE (or wrestling in general) at any point, what was the "last straw"?

8 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Erik and Ivar are the names of Viking kings. There's a decent chance Hanson and Rowe came up with the names themselves.

I've never fully given up on WWE, so I'll excuse myself.

Just because a wrestler comes up with their name doesn't necessarily make it suck less.

Ex. Kassius Ohno

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Just because a wrestler comes up with their name doesn't necessarily make it suck less.

Ex. Kassius Ohno

The point is everyone wants to kick Vince in the kidneys for the entire thing. The Viking Experience is silly and no doubt Vince-mandated. But put the blame where it belongs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The point is everyone wants to kick Vince in the kidneys for the entire thing. The Viking Experience is silly and no doubt Vince-mandated. But put the blame where it belongs. 

Yes, and the blame is with Vince. I don't know why you're shifting blame here when everyone except for Vince himself confirmed this was a Vince move. Even Bruce had no words for it beyond his usual sucking up.

• Like 2

My viewing of current stuff ebbs and flows. I have the Stardom streaming service and am thinking about signing up for the Dragon Gate one. I pretty much skim through RAW every week and parts of SmackDown. There have been periods where I've watched next to nothing but the occasional ppv. I gave up on WCW about a year before its death. But I've always watched old stuff. I have the network mostly for that because I could steal ppv's if I wanted to.  Have never thrown a tape away.  And most of them are still good!

Gave up twice on WWE (and thus wrestling altogether) but there was no particular reason.

Stopped as a teenager around 95/96. No idea why. I presume I just grew out of it or had other interests become more important. Got back into it in 99 when a friend at school was always coming out with catchphrases which turned out to be The Rock's. Then became hardcore into it - reading message boards, buying tapes, travelling to shows

Stopped again around 2012. Again, no particular reason. Probably a combination of boredom and the fact I had a 3 year old son and I probably didn't want him watching. I would occasionally visit this board so would have a vague idea of what was going on, but even that died off so that when I got back into it in 2016 I had no idea who half the roster was and was surprised at the amount of indy guys now on the roster. Only watching WWE and it gets tiresome now and then, but my son is obsessed so we watch it every week. The shows themselves can be a chore, but I still find myself looking forward to the PPVs like I was still a little kid.

Edited by Swiftian

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Erik and Ivar are the names of Viking kings. There's a decent chance Hanson and Rowe came up with the names themselves.

I've never fully given up on WWE, so I'll excuse myself.

Can we also add to this the "...they renamed War Machine literally a year ago in NXT, and people whined about them becoming War Raiders too, even though WWE had two incredibly good reasons to change their name [if the Marvel character didn't do it, the MMA asshole would]. It's not like this is some time-honored name that WWE ruined- it's not even the name on the indies."

I've only given up on WWE a couple times (around 1995 for reasons I'm really not sure why until 1998), and then 2001-03 because I didn't have cable at college) , but if I did it'd be in large part for the "the fans got everything they could possibly want at Wrestlemania, and they're such cartoonishly unbelievable ingrates that the name of a lowercard tag team is enough to wipe all of that to 'what've you done for me lately?' bullshit and does nothing more than prove the smarks will only truly be happy when they have something they can complain about." 

Had nothing to do with Benoit. John Cena's near 2 year stranglehold on the world championship, and WWE's insistence on putting him over EVERYBODY EVERY TIME, yet constantly portraying him as the underdog. the failure of ECW 2.0 also played into it, as i was ready to quit until they announced ECW would be starting up again. It got me to hang on a while longer, and it sucked ass. Went to WrestleMania 23 in Detroit, and really felt like i didn't even care what happened anymore. 

i will still watch the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania each year. for the next couple years after 2007, it would just get me upset that they weren't changing course to fit what i wanted to see. After that, it's general apathy for the stuffing instead of potatoes in general. i watch and get drunk during the show, because i really don't give a shit about who wins/who's getting pushed/what the fans want. i use Mania as my annual check-in time, see that it's still not for me, and check out until the next year.

I still love pro wrestling. I plan on giving AEW my regular viewing habits, at least to begin with, and i follow Billy Corgan's NWA as much as is reasonable (as they don't have any semblance of a tv show). I've been using the time to go back and watch older wrestling sequentially in real time, and i feel like i get WAY more enjoyment out of it vs. current WWE stuff.

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Can we also add to this the "...they renamed War Machine literally a year ago in NXT, and people whined about them becoming War Raiders too, even though WWE had two incredibly good reasons to change their name [if the Marvel character didn't do it, the MMA asshole would].

I think he's still in jail for beating up Christy Mack. He quit MMA to be a pron actor.

The first time I gave up on Wrestling was 1988, because World of Sport got cancelled. So there wasn't any on the telly any more. Then I started watching WCW Worldwide on ITV, and 2AM Thursday nights, around 91 or 92. Got into tape trading for ECW and Japan around 94... kind of drifted into and out of being a WWE fan at times, but I've always been a Wrestling fan first and the WWE fan second, or not at all. Right now I watch Impact, MLW and Defiant, and a one hour edit of Sunday Morning RAW that I barely pay attention to. Yesterday the show started with Steph coming to the ring and introducing Shane, so I took the opportunity to do some vacuuming until they shut up.

• Like 1

During 1990/1991, when Vince turned the Gulf War into an angle. I happened to be be a part of that entire conflict and while we didn't have a TV the Stars and Stripes newspaper would write reviews the entire angle and controversy surrounding it. It wasn't an angle to me and it felt dirty and exploitative as fuck. So I quit the WWE full on and only watched WCW up until around late 98.

If you don't want to get political, I'll spoiler this.  I stopped watching WWE in January of 2017.

Spoiler

This did it for me:

c4tul0gwqae3y_3.jpg

I stopped watching their shows and unsubscribed from the network when I saw this pic.  I always understood Vince's political bent but seeing all these classless new money fucks (excluding the kids; it's not their fault), every one of the the poor man's idea of what a rich man is like, the dumb man's idea of what a smart man is like, the dirt farmer's idea of what a business man is like, smiling like a bunch of rubes who'd finally made it to the big city, was enough for me.  I keep up with their storylines, etc via podcasts but I don't want to contribute, even in a miniscule way, to their ratings or bottom line.  I tell myself I won't watch again until that orange POS is out of office or until Vince quits or dies, which ever comes first.  Hearing how awful their booking has been, I may just wait until Vince is done even if Trump is out in 2020 (God willing).  I have very little free time as it is.  I can't be bothered to watch something that sounds so piss poor and whose boss supports the guy who can't even bring himself to condemn literal Nazis.

I watch PWG, been a fan since 2010, buying their DVDs when they come out, though I worry about their future as indy guys are being snapped up like crazy.  I watch New Japan on AXS, and that's about it. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

I stopped watching during the Heel Michael Cole era cause that just took all the fun out of watching and I could find better things to do with my time than watch a show that actively told me I was a nerd/dumb for enjoying it. The Summer of Punk got me interested for a lil but but when Punk came back after being gone for a week and then HHH inserting himself into the story I was pretty much back out until Byran's ascension and also the initial Wyatt Family vignettes helped too. 

I stopped watching again last fall as a cumulative of issues with the refusal to cancel the Saudi Arabia show (cause, you know, they murdered a journalist) being the point where I said I just cannot support this any longer. I somewhat keep up with it through the board to see how guys I like(d) watching are doing but don't know if or when I'dd go back again.

Now I just keep up with NJPW (have NJPW world) and will watch other things here and there. Might get Stardom's service pretty soon. 

Count me in as one of the guys who dropped out after Benoit and came back in 2012 with Summer of Punk II. Funny enough, it wasn't Punk that did it even though I saw him on my first ROH show and liked him on WWECW. I'd been lurking here the whole time, and playing EWR and stuff, but on a week to week basis that was it for me for a while. I'd check in once in a blue moon if I read there was some good stuff happening (Jericho/Michaels 2008, some of Takers WM matches) but I pretty much gave up on any WWE until one day my mom texted me. She doesn't watch wrestling, but has a great memory for guys I loved as a kid (since of course she was the one spending all that dough on merch, toys, autograph signings etc) so she writes "(Real name) you should put on channel 38 - Kevin Nash coming out to ring listening to N.W.O. music - not sure what it means !! Xoxo" 

Aaaaand I've been back since.

• Like 1

Going by the weekly threads, a lot of people on this board would be better served checking out now and finding something more relaxing to do with their Monday/Tuesday nights.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Going by the weekly threads, a lot of people on this board would be better served checking out now and finding something more relaxing to do with their Monday/Tuesday nights.  

Absolutely! The amount of anger the shows seem to generate out of adult men is astonishing to me. Just stop watching.

I started to lose interest when Steve Austin rightfully walked out when they wanted him to job to Brock on Raw, lost most interest when Eddie Guerrero died, barely watched after the Undertaker-Muhammad Hassan angle and haven't given the McMahon's a cent of my money since Chris Benoit murdered his family. 

Edited by happjack

Pro wrestling viewing almost went to non-existent for me after the Benoit incident. I had barely been watching at that point just due to burn out. I had spent a lot of 04-06 watching as much wrestling from all over as I could that I'd worn myself down. I actually turned on RAW after the Benoit thing in shock and not having read any of the rumors at that time. I didn't really know the true story until that Tuesday morning (my internet access was limited at the time), and it was a gut punch to go from being sad that one of my favorite wrestlers ever had passed away into just confusion and anger that someone could be driven to do something so heinous.

I'd check in vaguely from time to time, but I remember the real surprise was not really even following the build into WrestleMania 25 and not really knowing the event had happened until my social media was buzzing about Taker/Shawn.

53 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Since Blood Money II I stopped watching Raw live for the most part and would watch it the next day.  Not sure how their ratings are counted.  I heard something about same-day ratings but there's also +1, +3 and +7 structures for however many days they count the ratings.  I would hope that watching the next day doesn't add to the ratings.  But to your point I have been spending Mondays doing better things with my life.  There's always Fire Pro and if there's stuff on DVR/Youtube I'll catch that.  I still need to finish up the WM weekend shows I got through the Fite package so I'll likely be checking that tonight.  But for Smackdown I do watch that live as it's to me the much better show and NXT is a must.

That said there's definitely times where I feel like a hypocrite for trashing WWE yet watching their shows.  I know full well that I'm contributing to their shit yet for the life of me I just haven't completely stopped watching.  There's a lot of awesome people on the roster that I love and the idea of not watching them is not something I'm fully on board with.  I have considered checking through other "not-as-legal" means but as of right now it's not something I'm up for checking out.  Then there's the Network which has a lot of old shit that I like to watch so they're getting my money in some way anyway.  And I did look for other means but all that stuff on the Network is not as easy to find.  So like it or not I'll just check it out but I don't bother complaining in the weekly threads (lots of that going on anyway)  But I did stop adding anything to ROH because fuck them and especially Sinclair.  I haven't spent a dime on them since June and I watch the show over a week after it airs (given recent events I may stop that altogether).  So while I might feel like a hypocrite regarding WWE at least there's that.

I will say that the closest I came to taking a break was the Benoit murders.  I was watching the shows but it all was a blur and my interest was very low.  I know there was ways to check out some pretty cool shit and I checked out what I could.  But if there were streaming services like there are now then that might have been the deciding factor in me quitting WWE for awhile.

• Like 3