DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 7: Overeem vs. Oliynyk (4/20/2019) - Saint Petersburg, Russia (Yubileyny Sports Palace)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC on ESPN+ 7

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 7: Overeem vs. Oliynyk 
April 20, 2019
Saint Petersburg, Russia (Yubileyny Sports Palace)

Alistair Overeem (245) vs. Oleksiy Oliynyk (237) - Overeem, TKO (punches), R1 (4:45)
Islam Makhachev (155) vs. Arman Tsarukyan (155) - Makhachev, DEC (unanimous)
Sergey Pavlovich (254) vs. Marcelo Golm (250) - Pavlovich, KO (punch), R1 (1:06)
Roxanne Modafferi (125) vs. Antonina Shevchenko (125) -  Modafferi, DEC (split)
Krzysztof Jotko (185) vs. Alen Amedovski (186) - Jotko, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN2 Preliminary Card:
Movsar Evloev (146) vs. Seung Woo Choi (145) - Evloev, DEC (unanimous)
Sultan Aliev (170) vs. Keita Nakamura (171) - Aliev, DEC (unanimous)
Alexander Yakovlev (155) vs. Alex da Silva (156) - Yakovlev, SUB (modified guillotine choke), R2 (3:10)
Marcin Tybura (249) vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov (258) - Abdurakhimov, TKO (punches), R2 (3:15)
Gadzhimurad Antigulov (204.5) vs. Michał Oleksiejczuk (206) - Oleksiejczuk, KO (punches), R1 (0:44)
Magomed Mustafaev (154.5) vs. Rafael Fiziev (155) - Mustafaev, TKO (spinning back kick and punches), R1 (1:26)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Magomed Mustafaev
Performance of the Night: Sergey Pavlovich 
Fight of the Night: Islam Makhachev vs. Arman Tsarukyan

Attendance: 7,236

Cancelled Fights:
Emil Weber Meek vs. Sultan Aliev - Meek Withdrew From Bout 
Gadzhimurad Antigulov vs. Roman Dolidze - Injury to Dolidze 
Krzysztof Jotko vs. Roman Kopylov - Injury to Kopylov 
Movsar Evloev vs. Muin Gafurov - Bout Nixed 
Abdul-Kerim Edilov vs. Devin Clark - Injury to Edilov 
Alistair Overeem vs. Alexander Volkov - Volkov Health Issues 
Alexander Yakolev vs. Teemu Packalén - Injury to Packalén 
Ivan Shtyrkov vs. Devin Clark - Shtyrkov Hospitalized

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I am high on Rafael Fiziev, and he's fighting someone who hasn't fought in two and a half years in Magomed Mustafaev. Yet, he's a slight underdog betting wise. I guess there is some pessimism that Fiziev's style won't translate against tougher talent.

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Who's got the 411 on the Shevchenko sister? Got potential like Valentina or is she a different kettle of fish?

For her time on the Tuesday Night Contender's series and her one actual UFC fight, I can't say I'm too impressed. She is very competent, but Valentina is more athletic and way more dynamic. Maybe it's octagon jitters, but you would expect more from a woman who is five and a half years away from being 40 years old. If I had to make a sibling comparison, it wouldn't be something like Dhiego or Douglas Lima because Dhiego is fairly good offensively chin issues or no chin issues. I wouldn't even go Dan and Jim Miller because Dan was a very good grappler despite his grappling becoming less impressive as guys like Jacare and Demian Maia entered the sport full time. I would say Junior and Raphael Assuncao (the other Georgia based Brazilian brothers) is the best example off the time of my head. Junior wasn't necessarily a bad fighter, but Raphael was always the better fighter and had the better resume from the get go (beat Jorge Masvidal, Nick Mamalis, Joe Lauzon, and Joe Pearson before the WEC). Now historically, Junior is the third best Assuncao brother because Freddy has surpassed him with his short run in Titan FC alone. If it wasn't for tearing his ACL several times, Freddy would have been in the PFL or the UFC by now.

The problem with what Antonina is dealing with is female fighters don't start making runs in their late 30s. Women's boxing has that because many of the divisions are pretty light on real, legit contenders. Even for a new division like women's flyweight, nothing jumps off the page with her that would make you believe she is automatically top five or top ten if real talent entered the division. She's up against it in a major way as far as age goes and making it click. I think her performance against Roxy is going to tell you a lot. If she gets taken down repeatedly or spends a lot of time on her back, it's going to be hard seeing her have a good UFC run. I would also say the same thing if she narrowly wins on the judges' scorecards.

- Tough loss for Fiziev, but Mustafaev looked pretty good. He didn't look like a guy who has been out of fighting for years.

- You have to wonder how good Michał Oleksiejczuk is. Failed a drug test and got his first UFC fight/win overturned and then post suspension got two sub 2 minute wins. With Rountree coming off a win, do they re-run that fight again?

- Wanted to pick Abdurakhimov against Tybura, but changed my mind at the last second. Abdurakhimov is just a tough and durable guy and would easily be a top heavyweight in any other organization. He just needs to be more active and get more than a fight per year.

- Alexander Yakovlev just saved his UFC career with a submission win over Alex da Silva. Maybe lightweight is a better division for him.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I was able to catch up and watch the co main and main event.

First off, it's time for Makhachev to step up and fight some real contenders. That Martins loss is now in his rearview mirror. He is more than capable of competing against top 25 lightweights. Tsarukyan was tough but he didn't really let us know anymore about Makhachev than we already know.

As for the main event, smaller post USADA Alistair Overeem is still as formidable as insanely jacked up, overhyped Alistair Overeem. He is going to get caught every once in a while, but he is still strong enough offensively to get lesser fighters out of there. Hell, not being as muscular actually allows Overeem to move around better. He was able to escape from Oliynyk's frantic flurry to finish him off after being stunned  and regroup. Five years ago, I dunno if that's the case. He would have been a stationary tactic against the cage. Instead, he was able to clinch and knee Oliynyk into dust basically before routinely pounding him out on the ground. 

A fight that would make sense for Alistair is Shamil Abdurakhimov. Both won on the card and also coming off 2 or 3 wins apiece. It also gives each guy a challenge. Can Abdurakhimov completely shake having a tepid performance against Derrick Lewis where he didn't fight like himself? He also would be in there with a more athletic fighter. Overeem's challenge would be fighting someone who is tough as leather and isn't going to fall down at the first sign of trouble. It's a high risk low reward fight for Alistair, but it would be a chance to accomplish something he has rarely had a chance to do in his UFC career w/o a bunch of eyeballs on him. I say that because imo not being in the immediate title picture could be helpful. He did it briefly today against Oliynyk but Abdurakhimov is even more sturdy and could force Alistair to face some adversity. I really like that matchup.