Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries


Recommended Posts

On 6/4/2021 at 4:10 PM, ReiseReise said:

I at some point saw old tales of Robin and really liked her work. In this episode she came across like a great person. Still a haunting episode. 

She had a shoot interview a while ago that touches on a lot of this and she definitely comes across far more grounded than expected. It's a shame that women's wrestling in the WWE was coming to a stop when Robin became champion. She was starting to come into her own before they pumped the brakes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just when you thought the episode couldn't get any darker, Grizzly shows up unannounced at his semi-estranged daughter's place with a nine year old girl and asks Robin if she can make the girl a daiquiri. 

There's a special place in hell for Grizzly Smith.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did A&E's Bret documentary ever pick up?  I watched about 80 min, then tapped out.  Bret's backstory is interesting if you're unfamiliar with the Dungeon, Owen, and the Screwjob, but once you've heard it once, there's not much reason to revisit it.  I imagine there are interesting new angles to explore, but they never seem to come out in docs (probably in part because the WWE and the family micromanage the Hart legacy so closely) and, honestly, I find Bret a fairly dull personality in interviews.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I really loved it.  It didn't break much ground but while my wife's been watching Bret stuff with me this helped her see why I admire him so damn much.

Hey, @The Natural you have a chance to check it yet?

Not yet. will do. Been meaning to ask what you thought. Glad it's a rave review from you, bud!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think the main thing in the Foley doc was showing/reminding people about the others kids beside Noelle and Dewey. 

I hope he would dress as Glen for Halloween so he could be Kane Dewey. 

 

Edit: it Also got Robert Fuller on our TV again. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

About the Grizzly Smith thing...I can't remember who told the story, but Smith had hit the road for a loop and, on the way, picked up a little girl from her parents' house so she could make the trip with him.  The dramatization showed the "parents" smiling and waving.  I was shocked, wondering how parents could just let their kids go unattended with a famous, ostensibly well-off person, when it should be obvious what's up.

Then I watched the first episode of Leaving Neverland last night and the exact same thing happened there.  It seems these predators don't just groom the kids.  They groom the whole family so they can get to the kids. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is funny that Bret was willing to do the episode about himself but he refused to be interviewed for the Dynamite Kid one because he didn't like how the Montreal episode was handled (that is per Meltzer)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is funny that Bret was willing to do the episode about himself but he refused to be interviewed for the Dynamite Kid one because he didn't like how the Montreal episode was handled (that is per Meltzer)

I think you might be conflating the WWE A&E docs and Dark Side of the Ring together?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I think you might be conflating the WWE A&E docs and Dark Side of the Ring together?

Maybe...

Dave was definitely talking about the Dark Side of the Ring stuff. I am just unsure what stuff Bret has and has not been on since I haven't watch them

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Maybe...

Dave was definitely talking about the Dark Side of the Ring stuff. I am just unsure what stuff Bret has and has not been on since I haven't watch them

I also wouldn't be surprised if Dave's stream-of-consciousness shoved those together during his recaps as well.

The Bret Hart biography/documentary that everyone has been talking about for the last week was one of the WWE A&E productions, so there wouldn't be any production crossover with Dark Side on Dynamite Kid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is funny that Bret was willing to do the episode about himself but he refused to be interviewed for the Dynamite Kid one because he didn't like how the Montreal episode was handled (that is per Meltzer)

So, the Montreal Screwjob episode was season one of DSotR. What I'm getting is that he participated in that episode, saw the episode after it was produced, and didn't like it for whatever reason, so he refused to come back and work on the season three DSoTR episode about Dynamite. 

EDIT to address @odessasteps 's question. Bret was on the season one episode about the Montreal Screwjob, but he was not on the season two episode about Owen. I thought that was because it was Martha-dominant and they didn't get along, but now I just think it's that he was displeased with how DSotR handled the Screwjob ep and stopped agreeing to sit with them. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

So, the Montreal Screwjob episode was season one of DSotR. What I'm getting is that he participated in that episode, saw the episode after it was produced, and didn't like it for whatever reason, so he refused to come back and work on the season three DSoTR episode about Dynamite. 

EDIT to address @odessasteps 's question. Bret was on the season one episode about the Montreal Screwjob, but he was not on the season two episode about Owen. I thought that was because it was Martha-dominant and they didn't get along, but now I just think it's that he was displeased with how DSotR handled the Screwjob ep and stopped agreeing to sit with them. 

I could be wrong but I vaguely remember them discussing that exact topic on the Confidential version of the Owen episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, Technico Support said:

Just when you thought the episode couldn't get any darker, Grizzly shows up unannounced at his semi-estranged daughter's place with a nine year old girl and asks Robin if she can make the girl a daiquiri. 

There's a special place in hell for Grizzly Smith.

Nope, even Hell has standards.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well a little disappointed on the Dynamite Kid episode but it did describe him about as well as you could.   To me there was a ton of stuff after retirement stuck in his wheelchair that could have been in it.

Also this idea that Kid never got his revenge back for Jacque punching out 4 teeth is something.  Kid started it, Jacque finished it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect that they were a little limited on how much stuff they had for Dynamite after he returned to England. Finding Dan Spivey and Scott McGhee was something.

I don't think his book came up during this either, did it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People need to understand that they only have 45 minutes to work with and thus can't fit in every single detail. It was like the Sir Alex doc I watched a few days ago that was just released where it would've been impossible to fit every single thing he ever did into a 100 minute doc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other thing you get watching this is how when people called Benoit a Dynamite Kid clone they were way more right then they thought.  The nasty bumps, the pain, the steroids to compensate being "small", the bullying in the locker room, the extremely likelihood that he had massive CTE, and unfortunately the way he treated his wife.  Although I guess we should be thankful Kid didn't actually shoot his wife.  There is a big what IF to me on whether he would have actually done it if the cops weren't called.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...