DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

The interesting thing is, given all she went through, Missy had a lot of what some would call unsympathetic opinions over things that have happened over the last few years. I don't remember the specific cases but I think the clip they played was before the current Vince stuff. 

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

The interesting thing is, given all she went through, Missy had a lot of what some would call unsympathetic opinions over things that have happened over the last few years. I don't remember the specific cases but I think the clip they played was before the current Vince stuff. 

That's not uncommon. She was often either the only woman in the group she worked for, or she was one of two, and she was insulted for decades for who she was. "I suffered and I made it through, so should you" is a common stance that a victim takes because they aren't able to break out of the cycle. You see it in domestic violence all the time.

Missy's wrong for taking the stance she did re: the Janel Grant stuff, but that doesn't excuse what she went through.

• Like 5

I honestly fail to see what one has to do with the other unless the expectation now and forever is for victims to always support other victims especially when viewpoints are going to be extremely different. That or be the foremost expert. That's just not always realistic. Moreover, I dunno if that is enough to invalidate one's own experiences. Yes, people can be naturally hypocritical. Welcome to the world. Missy Hyatt went through what she went through. Janel Grant went through what she went through. Two totally separate incidents. The end.

19 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I honestly fail to see what one has to do with the other unless the expectation now and forever is for victims to always support other victims especially when viewpoints are going to be extremely different. That or be the foremost expert. That's just not always realistic. Moreover, I dunno if that is enough to invalidate one's own experiences. Yes, people can be naturally hypocritical. Welcome to the world. Missy Hyatt went through what she went through. Janel Grant went through what she went through. Two totally separate incidents. The end.

And honestly, a lot of people in general don't like talking about their sexual abuse history because they don't like having to talk about it, reliving it, having to defend themselves from people saying they were lying about it, people justifying their abuser's behavior because surely the victim deserved it in some way/shape/form, etc etc etc...

You either learn to hide your pain so it can't boomerang back and hit you again, you take it out on someone else so you don't have to be the one hurting this time, or you stay silent so nobody pries open your scabs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

yeah in some ways Missy reminds me of the women I came into contact with doing campaign canvassing who were living in rental housing and were not particularly fond of the female Senator I was supporting

• 2 weeks later...

Bischoff kinda feels like the definition of an unreliable narrator

but there was an amazing selection of talking heads here from Ted's proxy (Teddy Turner, believe it or not, ran for Congress once, and then lost to Mark "Appalachian Trail" Sanford in 2013)... to Brad Siegel's barely concealed contempt and then all the wrestling people with their agendas

Bischoff saying he didn't know if Hogan would turn as he was walking to the ring feels like Hogan saying he didn't know if Andre would do business at WM3

It feels like there will be some people in the Podcast International Complex who will carve some of the claims Bischoff made about WCW pre-Bischoff, some of it feels like Impostor syndrome, like being unsure about putting Nitro in an arena due to how it was drawing

Bret Hart hanging out behind a bar to just shit on WCW creative

Love the effects to depict old RSPW posts

"AEW Dynamite, check your local listings" - motherfucker, it's on cable, not syndication

I don't know how many episodes this show will be.. but ultimately Brad Siegel and the suits killed WCW, no matter how much other people fucked it up first

• Like 3

It was fun how they gave Bischoff the whole episode to spin his narrative and then at the end every one in a row gets a moment of camera time to call bullshit. Nash is drunk as a goddamn skunk. Brad Siegel must've been paid to be on there because that dude is straight-up hateful. 

They didn't mention anything about the NJPW factions being a creative influence but I don't know if Eric owns up to any of that at all. 

45 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They didn't mention anything about the NJPW factions being a creative influence but I don't know if Eric owns up to any of that at all. 

Haven't seen the Viceland show yet, but no, he does not. At least once on his podcast, he says that he was focused on business with New Japan and had no idea what they were doing creatively, and whatever little he did see, he thought was pitched for a Japanese audience and not an American one.

Of course, he says this to slate Meltzer, who made the claim in the Observer that Bischoff was cribbing from NJPW's faction wars, but of course, I don't entirely believe Bisch because he's an inveterate liar. 

Some things that Conrad brings up, you can sort of tell Meltzer got worked by someone in WCW's offices. This was not one of those things. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Brad Siegel must've been paid to be on there because that dude is straight-up hateful. 

They cut out the part where Siegel just started the interview by saying “yeah I killed WCW, next?”

I guess that glossing over why the Orlando tapings were controversial (spoiling the results of future WCW matches) is what it is.

They might circle back to this later but didn’t one of the lawsuit settlements give WWF the first right of refusal?

Posted (edited)

I am not sure if anything explains the current Bret Hart more then him saying in the 3 minutes saying  "Thanks for nothing. Go fuck yourself" when trying to eulogize WCW 😁

I am not sure if anything explains the Kevin Nash  his entire career more then him saying in the 3 minutes "Thanks for the cash" when trying to eulogize WCW 😁

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

Nash probably saw Bret’s segments and said “if I knew they’d let me film segments at a bar”

Also, I don’t know if Hall would have provided much more than what Nash is gonna say, but I wish Scott Hall was around and able to be on this sort of series.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It was fun how they gave Bischoff the whole episode to spin his narrative and then at the end every one in a row gets a moment of camera time to call bullshit. Nash is drunk as a goddamn skunk. Brad Siegel must've been paid to be on there because that dude is straight-up hateful. 

i think it is safe to say that the opinion of Seigel in the 1st show will be the same throughout the show.   The only thing that was missing in this was him holding a white cat stroking it's back slowly

• Haha 3

Siegel looks like they told him they were filming a documentary about Turner Classic Movies and they started asking him about wrestling... he really had the look of a guy who just wanted to talk about which Marilyn Monroe movies were the best

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Siegel looks like they told him they were filming a documentary about Turner Classic Movies and they started asking him about wrestling... he really had the look of a guy who just wanted to talk about which Marilyn Monroe movies were the best

If someone says something other than Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, they're a cop.

9 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

If someone says something other than Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, they're a cop.

Call me Officer Smugly because Some Like it Hot is the obvious best, dammit. 

3 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Call me Officer Smugly because Some Like it Hot is the obvious best, dammit. 

A movie that portrays two women as unfailingly supportive of each other no matter what and it's from 1953?! and you say a Tony Curtis vehicle is better? Show me your badge.

• Haha 1

I wonder if Big Kev got drunk just because Scotty wasn't there to do it. "If I knew they'd let me film segments at a bar" should probably be followed by "I wouldn't be hiding my wine glass and the double bottle of shiraz on the floor". Seriously, he seemed like he might've even gotten into the fanny pack for a gimmick before the shoot. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

A movie that portrays two women as unfailingly supportive of each other no matter what and it's from 1953?! and you say a Tony Curtis vehicle is better? Show me your badge.

Billy Wilder is amazing, and Jack Lemmon is even more amazing. Even the opening car chase is shot incredibly well. And honestly, if you want to talk being surprisingly progressive, SLiH is definitely that w/r/t LGBT relationships. The dude at the end is fine with his true love being a man, and before you say, "Well yeah, Jack Lemmon is a talented and funny dude, he's a catch" I think it still counts for something. 

Don't make me take you to the "dissed Some Like it Hot" wing of the local jail, citizen. 

I wonder if Big Kev got drunk just because Scotty wasn't there to do it. "If I knew they'd let me film segments at a bar" should probably be followed by "I wouldn't be hiding my wine glass and the double bottle of shiraz on the floor". Seriously, he seemed like he might've even gotten into the fanny pack for a gimmick before the shoot. 

My read of your comment, Curt, is that Kev's been erratic since his son passed, which is understandable. I've heard him talking on pods and he sounds rough, again understandably. I am not surprised that he showed up to be a talking head while sauced. 

Edited by SirSmUgly