DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

52 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Bushwhacker Luke looks younger now than he did in the 90s. Hair dye is a marvelous thing.

I was wondering where his damn gig marks are.  I mean yeah he probably hasn't bled since around 1991 but he more than made up for it in the 80s 

While this was tremendously done it really needed to be two parts.

People needed to end up doing time for this, and Vince is one of them.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wait Owen's blood was still on the canvas from the fall during the rest of Over the Edge?  And the ring was technically broken as well ?

If you didn't watch the PPV live that night, you'll never know how fucked up the rest of the show was.  Yes, Owen's blood was on the canvas the rest of the show.  And they later FUCKING aired a pre-tape later showing Vince getting STRETCHERED OUT AND PUT INTO A FUCKING AMBULANCE.  Because God forbid a death interfere with the storylines...

I lost it when Martha said "And the doctor said...." and it took her almost a full minute to finish her thought.

• Like 3

Not to take away from the gravity of the episode but Jericho's "what if" comment about the WCW beleaguered coming in along with the Ruthless Aggression era talent was mouthwatering. Can you imagine an Owen/Eddie feud? Even an Owen/Angle feud? You wouldn't have to have had any reason, just put them in the ring. Fuck, we never got an OWEN/REGAL MATCH.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not to take away from the gravity of the episode but Jericho's "what if" comment about the WCW beleaguered coming in along with the Ruthless Aggression era talent was mouthwatering. Can you imagine an Owen/Eddie feud? Even an Owen/Angle feud? You wouldn't have to have had any reason, just put them in the ring. Fuck, we never got an OWEN/REGAL MATCH.

I was surprised that Jericho didn't mention the possibility of working with Owen or the possibility of Owen/Benoit.

21 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

If you didn't watch the PPV live that night, you'll never know how fucked up the rest of the show was.  Yes, Owen's blood was on the canvas the rest of the show.  And they later FUCKING aired a pre-tape later showing Vince getting STRETCHERED OUT AND PUT INTO A FUCKING AMBULANCE.  Because God forbid a death interfere with the storylines...

I lost it when Martha said "And the doctor said...." and it took her almost a full minute to finish her thought.

For me because I was broke as hell and it wasn't like a major PPV or a major match, I didn't get Over the Edge. If I was desperate (and that was plenty of times because I was super hardcore into it during the MNW), I would just watch the goddamn scrambled feed on one of the PPV channels if I was at home. I cannot say definitively I knew anything was wrong, but I noticed that there was a lot of extra talking early in the PPV. So at that point, I just weaved in and out paying attention. I don't think I watched the end of the show. I think I took a shower or something. Then, at about ten o clock central time, I went into the living room. My mom had the local news on because she watches it religiously. I'm talking to my brother not paying attention at all to the television, and I heard something about a pro wrestler dying in an accident in Kansas City. Not a minute later, the anchorwoman from our local ABC affiliate (WABG) said the name Owen Hart. Man, I fucking froze. I turned around and looked at the television. I guess our local news didn't have a shot of Kemper Arena ready so they showed some court house or government building in KC. I saw the lower third with the graphic saying he passed away. My heart sank. I think it took me three hours to get to sleep that night.

As long as I live on this planet, I will never ever, ever, ever forget that.

• Like 5

I can't believe I didn't cry watching that. Especially considering I ugly-cried for 2 hours straight watching the Raw tribute the following night. I even bought a box of tissues today in preparation. Maybe I'm just getting emotionless in my old age. 

As a 17-year-old at the time I didn't really consider all of the ramifications regarding Vince's decision to continue the show. Now, with maturity(at least some amount) and a decent bit of reason, not only can I not believe Vince continued the show but, even moreso, I can't believe he actually had the option to make a choice. As mentioned in the doc tonight, the police should have stepped in and not only shut the show down but treated it as a crime scene as well.

I find peace in knowing Martha fought for what she believed in. And I find peace knowing that Oje and Athena are forging an inspirational path in their own lives.

Finally, if tonight's Jim Cornette was the Jim Cornette we always saw, I'd go out of my way to absorb his content all of the time. Cornette the man is infinitely more watchable than Cornette the gimmick. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Parts that absolutely shocked me were the SAIL BOAT CLIP that held Owen to the rig, and Vince at that press conference.

I’m glad his kids are of the same mindset as their mother that Owen will never be in the Hall of Fame.

• Like 5

I was at a PPV watch party.  We were all in shock.  We kept hoping for something positive.  I think that the show kept going because they were hoping for the best. That's me at my most optimist.  But after Ross announced he had died, the room became silent.  And the show kept going.  And I'll never forget my friend's wife (who hated wrestling) finally saying what we were all thinking during the main event:  "Why this is shit still going on?"

WWF can all go fuck themselves telling Jim Ross that Owen had died and to now tell us that.  Jim Ross is literally Howard Finkel.  The greatest man at his job and he was still treated like a piece of shit.

• Like 6

On second thought, now that Martha said it in the doc, it may have been Truman Medical Center I was looking at and I was probably too in shock to realize it at the time.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

7 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

WWF can all go fuck themselves telling Jim Ross that Owen had died and to now tell us that.  Jim Ross is literally Howard Finkel.  The greatest man at his job and he was still treated like a piece of shit.

I wasn't coming in to tonight expecting to find Reason #137 to despise Kevin Dunn but here we are.

• Like 7

I welled up a bunch but surprisingly didn't seriously cry during this one either, I think out of anger more than anything. The closest I came was when Corny finally lost it. 

But Jesus, the sailboat clip, that she still has kept over all these years. And Jim being told by Kevin Dunn "Owen is dead, and we're live in 9, 8..."

• Like 3

I don't even think Jim went into great of detail on the podcast with Conrad specifically detailing what happened that night. Maybe it's that in combination with the Lawler clip (which I hope to never see again) when he returns to the commentary desk, but seeing that and hearing the countdown brought it all home.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

The number of people who knew the exact plan for what would have happened if it went "as planned" is... how many people. Because if the plan was "he needs a quick release so he can do a pratfall" then they pretty much lose the case instantly if they admit that.

But the whole thing was a case of Vince being told no and told it was unsafe, then he went to somebody who would say yes to the idea.