DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

6 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Big, elderly Scott Norton tearing up got me. I'm really afraid of next weeks episode, but I really want to see it. 

Positively shocked to learn about all those wrestlers from Minneapolis, since I pretty much liked all of them. 

There is like an entire contingent of those guys who went to the same high school (Robbinsdale High School) and graduated close to together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was also surprised that the AWA had a card in Jersey (the Warriors/Hennigs card had to be AWA, right?).

I guess that was Pro Wrestling USA, at least they ran in the Meadowlands Arena a lot.

Edited by Robert s

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There is like an entire contingent of those guys who went to the same high school (Robbinsdale High School) and graduated close to together.

The Minnesota connection could have been a whole Dark Side episode, given all the people involved, especially stars like Hennig and Rude. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

People talk about the West Texas State group of wrestlers and don't get me wrong they were some extremely tough guys.  But I mean seriously imagine a group where Curt Hennig was the smallest one in the bunch.  I mean nobody is fucking with a group of Rude, the Warriors, scott Norton, Jim Nord, and Barry Darsow.  

Glad they didn't mention Socko in his WWF days.  The aurora of the Legion of Doom being this group and the fucking puppet just ruined that mystique for most fans.   Although they kind of mentioned it;  also liked that they didn't mention that the ultimate goal of Droz was to be the guy feeding Hawk the drugs and alcohol in order to get him fucked up so they turn on him.  

I figured that Cornette would be on the Owen episode but the real question is whether Russo will be.  

18 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, the main story of somebody at SS92 being unable to perform is Davey Boy.. so Hawk also being similarly messed up was never really focused on

Allegedly Animal burned his leg prior to the match too. Hawk parked his cycle too close to Animal’s, and Animal had to dismount on the wrong side. Animal then burned his leg on the exhaust. 

On 4/29/2020 at 11:10 PM, Cobra Commander said:

255k does beat the non-Benoit viewer record by a little bit. The Benoit episodes got 320k.

The S2 episodes ranked by number of viewers: Schultz, New Jack (229), Brawl for All (226), Bravo (221), Snuka (209)

Season 1 got between 154k and 234k with the Von Erichs the top episode, followed by Gorgeous Gino (225), Brody (214), Moolah (200), Montreal (181), and Savage/Elizabeth (154). The two lowest rated episodes were also the first two episodes of S1.

So I'm guessing Road Warriors gets higher ratings than Abrams and the Owen one might be the top non-Benoit episode.

Road Warriors got the 2nd highest number of viewers for the season (264k), only behind Benoit. Abrams got 246k.

But I'm guessing Owen is gonna top 264k.

Worth noting that Wrestlemania 3 on FS1 got 157K over 3 hours last night, so a few thousand of the plausible Vice audience might have been on FS1 during DSOTR.

Wasn't Animal on his Lloyd's of London disability before Kensuke became Power Warrior? And they reunited way before redebuting on Raw in March 97. It was a pretty great documentary overall, but I'm sure I'm not the only one (escpecially on this board) who is off putted by the hinky timeline. 

• Like 3

Just now, RolandTHTG said:

They skipped quite a bit from the brief WCW appearances in 96 to Droz debuting. 

Also skipped over the Heidenreich version and Animal's brief heel run as The Road Warrior before being released in 2006 too.

I assume they just wanted to cover Hawk and Animal so Hawk's death was the logical end of the doc for them.

11 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

They skipped quite a bit from the brief WCW appearances in 96 to Droz debuting. 

Also skipped over the Heidenreich version and Animal's brief heel run as The Road Warrior before being released in 2006 too.

Well given that one of the stories was how Hawk re-invented the Road Warriors in Japan supposedly behind Animal's back, it doesn't really fit the narrative.  Even though I am pretty sure Hawk was dead by the time the Heidenreich Warrior thing happened

This entire episode was Animal's idea anyway so I don't know why anyone is surprised that it paints him in a positive light. The producers had thought about it, since they were Road Warrior marks as kids, but they were both at Starrcade in Las Vegas last year for Double Or Nothing and Animal overheard someone talking to them about the show and he approached them with the idea of doing an episode about the Road Warriors/Hawk's demons.

23 hours ago, Infinit said:

Wasn't Animal on his Lloyd's of London disability before Kensuke became Power Warrior? And they reunited way before redebuting on Raw in March 97. It was a pretty great documentary overall, but I'm sure I'm not the only one (escpecially on this board) who is off putted by the hinky timeline. 

I always thought Animal being injured is what led to Power Warrior filling in as his replacement, never that there was any bad blood over it. I wish they acknowledged that more since Animal eventually joined them in NJPW and they worked as a trio throughout 96. 

• Like 1

Animal is just as guilty for the reason they didn't do much in '92. He just kept getting popped for steroids, instead of a mix between that and drugs. But hey, Hawk was a junkie and is dead, so its easier to pile on to him, right?

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1

So there’s gonna be a season 3 the ratings are too good for there not to be I was thinking of what some episode topics could be other than David Arquette winning the WCW World Title.

I'd suggest skimming the thread, since people have been throwing out ideas almost the whole season so far. IIRC, a number of them have been brought up a few times, so maybe the producers lurk here and we could see them next season. 

(Dare I say the sleaze thread as a topic?) ?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You bastard, you just made me imagine them doing a Jimmy Valiant glass table reenactment

Not to be that guy, just Google "Danny Thomas glass table."  Someone took that exact story and replaced him with Jimmy Valiant.  Over a decade later, he's probably still wondering why people keep bringing it up...

• Like 2