DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

5 minutes ago, saveholmes said:

On that topic - the Dark Side guys were just on Conrad Thompson's podcast and said Herb got the SportsChannel deal because he walked into the pitch meeting with Paul Orndorff and all the execs marked out

Kind of like how SPIKE didn't give a shit about TNA, but they were willing to give Sting a contract because they loved Sting and wanted to hang with him

And I was just about to get to that...

When Andre walks into that office all slow, bent over, and decrepit, how fast do these execs change their minds?

On 5/6/2020 at 9:09 AM, hammerva said:

I actually need a brief Dark Side of the Ring on the making of the Herb Abrams death scene in his Dark Side of the Ring.  It was clear that they told the actor it that there was no half assing this one.  

I found this:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This was a really good episode tonight. I was doing ok until Paul told the Black Van story for Hawk's funeral. Then seeing Scott Norton cry. And his brothers. Ugh. So emotional. Happy that he found a great wife and changed his ways before his passing.

This was probably the best/deepest guest list of any Dark Side episode too.

• Like 3

I've heard the story multiple times but, man, if there was only some footage of Vince in a strip club taking finishers from the boys. It would be on par with rare wrestling media like Magee/Hart, The Last Battle of Atlanta or Gary Hart's book.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Peck said:

Not sure if Foley realizes it, but he wrestled the Road Warriors on their last WCW PPV before going to WWF in 1990.  Warriors/Norman the Lunatic beat Bam Bam Bigelow/Kevin Sullivan/Cactus Jack.  Which sounds like one of those weird-ass WAR 6-mans...

• Like 1

Really good one. I had no idea Hawk had so many problems. It definitely makes sense why this is an episode now; I thought it might have just been because of that dumb angle (which I still remember seeing live and did not get over At. All.) and because Hawk was dead but yeah, this one totally fit the bill for the series. Didn't even know about the Wembley incident, that was just sad to see.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Really good one. I had no idea Hawk had so many problems. It definitely makes sense why this is an episode now; I thought it might have just been because of that dumb angle (which I still remember seeing live and did not get over At. All.) and because Hawk was dead but yeah, this one totally fit the bill for the series. Didn't even know about the Wembley incident, that was just sad to see.

Yeah, as a 10-year-old at the time I obviously had no idea Hawk was so messed up that evening. I never did go back and re-watch that event as an adult so, like you, I was caught off-guard by that reveal tonight.

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have it on tape somewhere, I didn't see it on YouTube, there is absolutely an LOD-Demolition match at MSG where Hawk gets taken out early and spends the entire match laying on the floor and only gets up for the finish.   And this was a YEAR AND A HALF before SummerSlam 92.

Edited by sydneybrown
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Peck said:

I've heard the story multiple times but, man, if there was only some footage of Vince in a strip club taking finishers from the boys. It would be on par with rare wrestling media like Magee/Hart, The Last Battle of Atlanta or Gary Hart's book.

Vince is lucky cellphone camera/video wasn't really a thing back then.

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Not sure if Foley realizes it, but he wrestled the Road Warriors on their last WCW PPV before going to WWF in 1990.  Warriors/Norman the Lunatic beat Bam Bam Bigelow/Kevin Sullivan/Cactus Jack.  Which sounds like one of those weird-ass WAR 6-mans...

Yeah, Capital Combat 90 IIRC (aka RoboCop's fake leg won't stay on as he's walking). I think one of the Road Warriors (likely Hawk) tosses him into the fucking crowd, and Mick takes a crazy ass bump into one of those old school classroom plastic chairs. That couldn't have felt pleasant.

And it's crazy cause out of those six, there is already this special aura around the Cactus Jack character. He just looks and feels different compared to...ya know...Norman the Lunatic and all the other shit in WCW at the time. And that's not to bash Mike Shaw. Hell, by that time, even the Road Warriors didn't feel all that special. They needed a fresh coat of paint (pun intended), which is why that WWF move made sense.

45 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Yeah he did. In great detail.

I've read it like three times and don't remember that. What is wrong with my brain

Then again it is long as fuck

EDIT: You know what I think I was thinking of what he said on the documentary. But that still doesn't explain me not remembering the book. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

8 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

He fucking said what about dying in Australia? Fuck him.

Also that is the weirdest exchange I could ever imagine about how to tell someone about a death:

"Did you talk to Mike?"
"Yeah I talked to him yesterday"
"Oh, how about today?"
"No"
"Oh. Because he's dead"

That's one step above

"Ok, everyone with a faithful wife...step forward"

"Um Marty, not so fast.'

• Like 1