DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Poor wording on my part. i meant did they mention the Dave jobber on Dark Side? 

Is the jobber thing why Dave has been so dismissive of them doing an episode on Herb? He continuously says that he was just nothing but a cokehead, and that's it. 

6 hours ago, saveholmes said:

Herb started some business called Network '9' Limited in 1982 that had a storefront in Los Angeles (nightclub? clothing store?)

He probably wasn't a big enough name to get into Studio 54, but I can see him going to the Sunset Strip a few years later and trying to make it big. That's probably where the coke and high priced call girl habit started.

• Like 1

Add that as a subplot to the tv movie. I'm talking straight up '80s/'90s trash tv, like the made for tv movie on Homer in Homer Badman featuring Dennis Franz. Need it in my life. 

For real though, he clearly had a strong connection with the people who were close to him. While I laughed and laughed at Blair and Foley's perfect lines at the end, it was hard not to get teary eyed when the producer best friend at the end was in a childish state of denial about the silly "he's still alive" theory and, in particular, the Jerry Lynn-lookin' dude said he believed in him. 

I would've liked a bit more Herb footage without people talking over him but that's a minor complaint of an otherwise excellent episode. That bloody promo fire was incredible. Maybe wwe should have people get fucked up on cocaine again? 

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He probably wasn't a big enough name to get into Studio 54

After the disco heyday that place went south real fast. By '84 they were taping the Ultimate Revenge on Disco with Venom, Slayer, and Exodus there. Hell, at one point Heyman was booking the joint, so I'm sure Abrams could have got a table considering. 

• Like 1

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

After the disco heyday that place went south real fast. By '84 they were taping the Ultimate Revenge on Disco with Venom, Slayer, and Exodus there. Hell, at one point Heyman was booking the joint, so I'm sure Abrams could have got a table considering. 

No, I am talking about the big time era. If Abrams was out west by the early 80s, it would line up perfectly with the rock scene on the strip and all the excess.

In-ring work aside, there are very few names more recognizable than Andre’s in pro wrestling. Even more so in 1990. What Herb was going to do with him, I have no idea. 

14 minutes ago, Log said:

In-ring work aside, there are very few names more recognizable than Andre’s in pro wrestling. Even more so in 1990. What Herb was going to do with him, I have no idea. 

That's my point. If it was 1988...I could see why signing him would be a big deal. By late '90, you would be just giving him money to do nothing. You can't do anything with him. At least with all the other WWF retreads, they can work.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Andre arguably is valuable as “ANDRE” even if he cant work. Even in 90, i presume one of the three most famous pro wrestlers to the casual fan or general public. 

I remember it being a big deal that Andre appeared on Clash 20, just being there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Andre arguably is valuable as “ANDRE” even if he cant work.

But what would be his value be to UWF? How strong was their TV deal? 

They were on Sportschannel, right? No syndication? 

If you went to a cable company or advertiser and said, “Andre The Giant is on our show,” that might show you are “big time” even if you really arent. And that could get you a sponsor or a cable PPV clearance, which they def needed. 

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

They were on Sportschannel, right? No syndication? 

If you went to a cable company or advertiser and said, “Andre The Giant is on our show,” that might show you are “big time” even if you really arent. And that could get you a sponsor or a cable PPV clearance, which they def needed. 

Yep, Sportschannel

The problem is that person can reply back, "Uh..he still wrestles" or "...what else you got?". If he had shown up in WCW before he was really too far gone, it might have been a way to boost a rating or buyrate here or there when WCW really needed it. In UWF, I dunno how much he could have helped them out especially seeing how easy Vince was able to get him back. I'm guessing there was just some sort of verbal, handshake agreement and the long term deal was obviously Abrams being full of shit.

This is the sizzle reel Abrams was using to try and sell the UWF into syndication after his first two tapings in Reseda - he could have used the Andre footage but chose not to (it would have been deceptive anyway since I think Vince had already got Andre to agree to a new deal by the time Herb put Andre on TV):

Edited by saveholmes

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The problem is that person can reply back, "Uh..he still wrestles" or "...what else you got?". If he had shown up in WCW before he was really too far gone, it might have been a way to boost a rating or buyrate here or there when WCW really needed it. In UWF, I dunno how much he could have helped them out especially seeing how easy Vince was able to get him back.

Draw value is a very important thing in getting these wrestlers. Again, most super-casual fans don't know who's still got it or who doesn't, and just pops for names that they recognize. The "uh...he still wrestles" or "what else you got?" is less likely to happen from a sponsor or cable network. What's more likely is an example like ESPN's story- they locked up AWA and had went over "okay, here's all the wrestlers the AWA is giving us. We get Baron von Raschke, Nick Bockwinkel, Greg Gagne, Sgt. Slaughter..." with a board member yelping for joy "WE GOT SLAUGHTER????", before everyone else looked at him and he muttered "...uh, my kids watch it."

In 1989-90, saying "We have a wrestling promotion, and we have ANDRE THE GIANT" is enough to get a promotion excited. 

Edited by SorceressKnight

On that topic - the Dark Side guys were just on Conrad Thompson's podcast and said Herb got the SportsChannel deal because he walked into the pitch meeting with Paul Orndorff and all the execs marked out

Kind of like how SPIKE didn't give a shit about TNA, but they were willing to give Sting a contract because they loved Sting and wanted to hang with him

5 minutes ago, saveholmes said:

On that topic - the Dark Side guys were just on Conrad Thompson's podcast and said Herb got the SportsChannel deal because he walked into the pitch meeting with Paul Orndorff and all the execs marked out

Kind of like how SPIKE didn't give a shit about TNA, but they were willing to give Sting a contract because they loved Sting and wanted to hang with him

And I was just about to get to that...

When Andre walks into that office all slow, bent over, and decrepit, how fast do these execs change their minds?

On 5/6/2020 at 9:09 AM, hammerva said:

I actually need a brief Dark Side of the Ring on the making of the Herb Abrams death scene in his Dark Side of the Ring.  It was clear that they told the actor it that there was no half assing this one.  

I found this:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1