DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Steve Ray was on the local news here the night of the Owen Hart death because he's reasonably local to KCMO.

As for Herb, imagine all the various people he could have partied with, and he ends up bring cocaine and hookers to pay with Colonel freakin Red.

Also, every bit of footage of Abrams, aside from the last known footage, came before he turned 40. Cocaine did not do him any favors for aging.

15 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

As for Herb, imagine all the various people he could have partied with, and he ends up bring cocaine and hookers to pay with Colonel freakin Red.

I think Herb was going to get the hotel with hookers and cocaine anyway, regardless of who he invited to partake

Howard Brody's book has a fantastic story about the weekend of the Universal Studios Florida taping where Herb insisted on taking Bam Bam Bigelow and the SportsChannel execs over to someone's house to do drugs.

The kicker of the story - Herb got Universal Studios to host the taping for free with the idea that park guests would be allowed in to watch the outdoor show as part of their admission (like TNA did), but then Herb had his mom stand by the entrance and charge people to get in anyway

I demand a feature-length movie starring Jeremy Piven or Jonah Hill. There's so much material. So very much.

Edited by saveholmes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

in the scheme of things, if the promoter is doing more drugs than the talent, then the promotion will have some hard times

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

Someone needs to turn Herb screaming "Let's hear it for the Jews!!!" into a ringtone. The reactions of everyone around you would be priceless.

Did it sing it t the tune of Denise Williams' "Let's Hear it for the Boy?"

LETS HEAR IT FOR THE JEEEEEEEWS! 

LETS GIVE THE JEWS A HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

LETS HEAR IT FOR MY HEBREWS!

YOU GOTTA UNDERSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

11 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I actually need a brief Dark Side of the Ring on the making of the Herb Abrams death scene in his Dark Side of the Ring.  It was clear that they told the actor it that there was no half assing this one.  

Zoogz Rift's son uploaded a video to YouTube of Zoogz talking about working for Herb (Zoogz died in 2011), and Zoogz heard what happened was Herb locked 6 hookers in his office, and they called the cops on him when he started destroying furniture and wouldn't let them leave.  And then he died in the police car from a heart attack.

Meltzer said in his writeup on Abrams' death that Abrams had done something similar three months prior in April 1996:

Police had found Abrams with cocaine in his office in an April arrest when he was allegedly holding a woman hostage and robbing her, and he was charged in that incident with unlawful imprisonment, assault and attempted rape in a case that was still pending.

I think the moral of Herb's story is - Don't bounce checks to hookers

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Did it sing it t the tune of Denise Williams' "Let's Hear it for the Boy?"

LETS HEAR IT FOR THE JEEEEEEEWS! 

LETS GIVE THE JEWS A HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

LETS HEAR IT FOR MY HEBREWS!

YOU GOTTA UNDERSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

That Roster dude, Abrams UWF had a ton of potential but it seems Abrams himself loved to scam too much. Colonel Red seemed more shady than Abrams at least with Abrams he wore it on his sleeve. He was a scam artist but an affable scam artist. Mick, Brian, that Lenny guy, Sunny Beach and Steve Ray all seemed to hold a special place in their hearts. 

I felt really sorry for Lenny Duge. He seemed like such a nice, sort of naive guy and obviously really loved Herb Abrams. It was funny and sad to hear him talk about walking into the Manatee Civic Center and how it was the biggest arena he'd ever seen and wondering how on earth they could ever fill a place that big. The Manatee Civic Center seats about 4,000 people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LP Steve said:

I felt really sorry for Lenny Duge. He seemed like such a nice, sort of naive guy and obviously really loved Herb Abrams. It was funny and sad to hear him talk about walking into the Manatee Civic Center and how it was the biggest arena he'd ever seen and wondering how on earth they could ever fill a place that big. The Manatee Civic Center seats about 4,000 people.

To be fair, if you're doing crowds of < 300, it may as well be The Big House or Neyland Stadium.

I would like to know more about Abrams pre-UWF businesses. Did his large women's store do that well or was he born into money? Judging by the fact he always seemed to have large amounts of coke on him, I would assume he was dealing drugs at some point. Maybe he was a middle man for a real big time dealer.

The Herb episode is on again tonight @ 9, so I'll probably flip between AEW and that.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

My main takeaway from the Herb Abrams episode is an equation.

Bob Morton from Robocop + Adam Sandler’s character from Uncut Gems + Pro Wrestling = Herb Abrams

That line “Herb died doing what he loved most... cocaine and hookers” was perfectly delivered.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

considering the rest of the episode, would it shock anybody if Herb's store was a drug front?

Nothing would shock me about Abrams after that episode.

This is one of those episodes that definitely needs the companion podcast to go along with it, I'd imagine.

UWF always confused me as an early internet wrestling fan, learning about new (old) promotions, because I'd always get it confused with UWFi and then go to watch clips and man those two couldn't be any different if they tried. ?

Edited by Casey

Missy Hyatt Tweeted that she will be on After Dark for Herb. Should be fun, she's a great Twitter follow when it comes to knowledge and opinions of older stuff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Kris and Bix reposted the Abrams episode of BTS,for folks who want more Herb stories. 

did they talk about the jobber named after Dave? 

I don't know if Davey Meltzer was mentioned in Part 1 of the BTS that was available in the free section.    Bix did post a video and BTS audio that really is a great synopsis of UWF

• Haha 2