DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Everyone says Ali was all messed up but Ric Flair and Eric Bischoff (talk about opposing sides) both said that he was lucid, could communicate in whispers, and even jogged the stairs when they all went to North Korea for the Collision card. That was years after Wrestlemania 1. 

Well, then again, reffing a match is one active fucking position to have.

Allegedly, the reason they made Pat the in-ring ref was fear of Ali not being able to do his role correctly. 

15 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I don't know if you understand just how big a celebrity Mr T was at that time. He was quite literally the biggest celebrity in America at that time (The best comparison I can give is to the Bob Sapp phenomenon in Japan). He is still so remembered as a pop culture icon that if they were doing a live WWE show in front of fans and he walked out he'd get a bigger pop than anything else on the show.

As someone who was 10/11 years old during this timeframe I can co-sign that Mr. T was a HUGE celebrity and phenomenon, he would have been the third most popular/well known tv star behind Bill Cosby and Michael J. Fox, plus people thought he was a legit badass due to his look and how he worked his gimmick. Oh yeah he also had a Saturday morning cartoon show and his own breakfast cereal. 

Wrestlemania and the WWF wouldn’t be where they are today if it wasn’t for Mr. T working that match and the build up to it. 

Also, if Vince had any plans for Dr. D working the WM main event he wouldn’t have had him jobbing clean to a visiting Inoki a few months before the big show. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, happjack said:

As someone who was 10/11 years old during this timeframe I can co-sign that Mr. T was a HUGE celebrity and phenomenon, he would have been the third most popular/well known tv star behind Bill Cosby and Michael J. Fox, plus people thought he was a legit badass due to his look and how he worked his gimmick. Oh yeah he also had a Saturday morning cartoon show and his own breakfast cereal. 

Wrestlemania and the WWF wouldn’t be where they are today if it wasn’t for Mr. T working that match and the build up to it. 

Also, if Vince had any plans for Dr. D working the WM main event he wouldn’t have had him jobbing clean to a visiting Inoki a few months before the big show. 

I was in first and second grade in the two peak years of the A Team and none of the boys in my school would dare miss an episode. Mr T was the freaking MAN. Every kid wanted the Mr T figure and the A Team van for Christmas.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:58 AM, happjack said:

Looking back I could see Schultz getting teamed up with Beefcake over Greg Valentine...

Considering one of Shultz's most famous promos was about trans people/alternative lifestyles in San Francisco, and his implied distaste for such, I don't think a team with a guy whose gimmick started off as a San Fran stripper would gel.

• Haha 1

After Dark is the single worst show on pro wrestling I have ever seen in my life. Absolutely horrid and more shallow and vapid than the kiddie pool at Munchkinland.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, happjack said:

As someone who was 10/11 years old during this timeframe I can co-sign that Mr. T was a HUGE celebrity and phenomenon, he would have been the third most popular/well known tv star behind Bill Cosby

In hindsight, Piper fast tracking a face turn and putting Cosby to sleep works here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, sabremike said:

After Dark is the single worst show on pro wrestling I have ever seen in my life. Absolutely horrid and more shallow and vapid than the kiddie pool at Munchkinland.

So are you saying you *don't* like it? I can't tell, you're very understated with these sorts of things.

4 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

So are you saying you *don't* like it? I can't tell, you're very understated with these sorts of things.

Geraldo, Bill O'Reilly or whomever you think is the worst tv host you could think of would do a better job of asking interesting and substantive questions than the host of After Dark. 

Someone needs to turn Herb screaming "Let's hear it for the Jews!!!" into a ringtone. The reactions of everyone around you would be priceless.

• Haha 4

Herb Abrams went out in the manner that GG Allin always intended to go out except instead of being covered in feces he was covered in baby oil.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Foley closing the show was gold, baby.

Only Mick would've come up with that line. My God that was brilliant:

"If Herb were here today what do you think he would be doing?"

"Time."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I wonder who ended up with the UWF cowboy boots. 

B. Brian Blair's closing line shouldn't be overlooked either. "Herb died doing what he loved, cocaine and hookers." That's great material.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 6

On 4/28/2020 at 7:32 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Stossel said they polled people and 1/3 of the audience believed. 

Then the damn feed went out on my TV due to a thunderstorm

How many people could they have realistically polled though? 20 or 200? 2000?

The boots are in parts unknown. There was an internet talk about the show last weekend with Arezzi, Cactus, and the producers. They actually said that they made a new pair of boots for the show, then Cactus offered to buy them.

I enjoyed this show so much. A big bonus was that I saw a much younger me in the crowd during the ring entrance of Wild Thing Stevie Ray.

Edited by ka-to
n
  • Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 9:48 PM, sabremike said:

But Schultz wasn't fired over the 20/20 thing, he was fired over the incident with Mr T (Who in fact was THE reason Wrestlemania was a smashing success). If you mess with the guy who a show that will make or break the company is built around there's a pretty good chance you'll get fired.

Yeah that's the story I have heard in interviews.  Shultz was pissed he was moving down the card and was moved out in favour of Orndorff so he decided to try and start something with Mr T to kick start it.  Supposedly he kept yelling come on D vs T.  Being Shultz probably called him boy a bunch of times too.  Probably pissed Mr. T off.  You can't undersell what Mr. T brought to that promotion.  The Cyndi Lauper connection got them on MTV then in the WrestleMania build up it got Hogan and Mr T on Saturday Night Live as the guest hosts for an episode.  Shultz was a little too wild for his own good.  No way Crockett would use him once they were on TBS.  Ted Turner would have popped a brain vessel if Shultz did a promo saying Dusty Rhodes has AIDS 

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt
  • Like 2

Wow, the footage of Herb screaming and twitching, red as a beet at the Blackjack Brawl. And that Blair line!

As funny as this was everyone getting upset is always still such a downer. Poor Steve Ray. I mean that guy went nowhere, Herb really was one of the only guys that truly believed in him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Poor Steve Ray. I mean that guy went nowhere, Herb really was one of the only guys that truly believed in him.

There's a long interview with Steve Ray on YouTube, and somewhere in there he talked about having a WCW tryout, but he pissed off Junkyard Dog and didn't get hired

He also did a tour in Stampede when Benoit was coming up, which I never knew. Guy had strong fundamentals and a decent look

He also came out to Onita's FMW version of "Wild Thing", which was baller