DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Fucking LOVED this.  They got Mansfield AND they showed the hypocrisy of Hogan purposefully injuring Richard Belzer.  Schultz was spur of the moment, Hogan went out of his way to injure someone.

The craziest thing to me and I'm glad they brought this up too:  The David Schultz incident happened on an MSG show in 12/84.  20/20 sat on that story for EIGHT WEEKS and didn't air it until the WrestleMania hype was underway in 2/85.  Could you imagine Chris Jericho punching Chris Cuomo in the face right now and it being kept a secret until Independence Day?  Now you'd know within minutes.

I think Stossel's "F**K you David" was kinda petty.  It came off more that Stossel was angry that no matter what he did in his life, he's always going to be known as the guy who got smacked in an interview by a pro wrestler.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

So one reason why people think slapping Stossel got Schultz fired is because Schultz was fired 10 days before that 20/20 episode aired for different reasons.

Didn't that episode of 20/20 air in December 1984? Schultz was still wrestling house show matches for the WWF up until the end of February '85.

EDIT: IMDB says it aired 12/28/84.

Edited by Casey

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Didn't that episode of 20/20 air in December 1984? Schultz was still wrestling house show matches for the WWF up until the end of February '85.

The 20/20 episode aired in Feb 1985.  BTW, the footage they showed of Schultz firing his gun and Vince losing his shit aired on TNT after David had already been fired.  It's his last WWF appearance.  He's even joking about the Stossel incident in the interview.  3/1/85 on the Network.  He pulls a gun on Vince during the interview.  Not kidding.

59 minutes ago, Casey said:

EDIT: IMDB says it aired 12/28/84.

the timeline on HistoryOfWWE

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - December 28, 1984 (26,092, including several thousand at Felt Forum; sell out for both the arena and Forum)
It was backstage during this event that ABC '20/20' reporter John Stossel was assaulted by David Schultz during an interview in which Stossel asked Schultz if wrestling was fake; as a result of the incident, Stossel filed suit against both the WWF and Schultz
Japanese TV - 1/4/85; Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/85: World Martial Arts Champion Antonio Inoki pinned David Schultz at 5:16 with an enzuiguri (Schultz and Inoki's last MSG appearance)

WWF @ Los Angeles, CA - Sports Arena - February 11, 1985 (15,217)
David Schultz was fired after attacking Mr. T in the locker room and the audience during the show

2/21/85: ABC's "20/20" aired a segment on pro wrestling, during which footage was shown of David Schultz hitting reporter John Stossel backstage at Madison Square Garden.

Schultz was being subbed out on February cards after the 13th.

On topic, what happened to Dr D in Japan? The show mentions him slapping a Japanese reporter and Dr D just makes a dismissive face about his time in Japan, like things didn't work out or something, and then they drop the topic completely. 

Also, Cagematch doesn't have Schultz working in Japan until March 1985. So they fucked the timeline up on when he was in Japan post-Stossel too.

• Thanks 1

I like how Meltzer was all dismissive of the Schultz and Abrams episodes, and then the Dr. D episode gets the second highest ratings.

Pretty sure the UWF episode will get another big rating.  Dr. D and Abrams may be "microscopic" in terms of importance on wrestling history, but they're entertaining stories, which the Dino Bravo and Brawl For All stories weren't.

• Like 1

255k does beat the non-Benoit viewer record by a little bit. The Benoit episodes got 320k.

The S2 episodes ranked by number of viewers: Schultz, New Jack (229), Brawl for All (226), Bravo (221), Snuka (209)

Season 1 got between 154k and 234k with the Von Erichs the top episode, followed by Gorgeous Gino (225), Brody (214), Moolah (200), Montreal (181), and Savage/Elizabeth (154). The two lowest rated episodes were also the first two episodes of S1.

So I'm guessing Road Warriors gets higher ratings than Abrams and the Owen one might be the top non-Benoit episode.

2 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

The 20/20 episode aired in Feb 1985.  BTW, the footage they showed of Schultz firing his gun and Vince losing his shit aired on TNT after David had already been fired.  It's his last WWF appearance.  He's even joking about the Stossel incident in the interview.  3/1/85 on the Network.  He pulls a gun on Vince during the interview.  Not kidding.

So if Vince really wanted to fuck over Dr. D he could have told the cops he really had done all that shit. Man.

...well, I guess it wouldn't have stood up in court, so nevermind

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

I like how Meltzer was all dismissive of the Schultz and Abrams episodes, and then the Dr. D episode gets the second highest ratings.

Pretty sure the UWF episode will get another big rating.  Dr. D and Abrams may be "microscopic" in terms of importance on wrestling history, but they're entertaining stories, which the Dino Bravo and Brawl For All stories weren't.

His dismissiveness of both episodes was based on personal taste because one was on a subject that had been extensively covered and the other was on someone he considered an insignificant boil on the ass of pro wrestling. He has more of an interest in learning things than entertainment and these two leaned heavy in the entertainment direction. And honestly I myself said from the start the one I was most interested in was the Herb Abrams one because it's guaranteed to be hilarious (even moreso with Mick Foley involved).

Since we're all talking about David Schultz:

-I always thought Schultz's second turnbuckle flying elbow drop was excellent.  Such sharp, pointed execution.  I swear I haven't seen other wrestlers copy the move, or do it quite the way he did.  Am I wrong?  

-Dr. D will always be one of the greatest "what if?" wrestlers in history to me.  His bloody matches with Hogan were wild battles of attrition, really setting up Hogan as a legit champion in his early days, even though as a teenager I still always wanted Hogan to lose.  I really wonder what would have happened to Schultz if this incident never occurred, maybe making his way into JCP , going back to AWA eventually, or Japan under far better circumstances.  I tend to agree with Cornette on this one, though;  likely Schultz would have gotten into some other altercation at some point which would eventually turn promoters away.  

What a presence, though.  The dude is/was legit scary.  The perfect "Southern guy who gives zero fucks" archetype.  

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

My parents were plenty lenient but I managed to really get their goat (heh) with the first Deicide album. Had to lie through my teeth about that one

Sounds like the opposite reaction of my Mom. When I was a teenager I showed my Mom a picture of Glenn Benton with the inverted cross branded into his forehead and her exact words were "oh, he's not scary-looking, he just looks like a DOOFUS."

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

I’m disgusted there was an entire episode on the Stossel incident without an appearance or insight from Professor Steve Austin 

You'd think he would've reached out and just phoned vice's offices without introducing himself and just asked after a long awkward pause, "so, what do you think of the Stossel incident?" Perhaps it was because he didn't introduce himself that they just kept hanging up on him? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

You'd think he would've reached out and just phoned vice's offices without introducing himself and just asked after a long awkward pause, "so, what do you think of the Stossel incident?" Perhaps it was because he didn't introduce himself that they just kept hanging up on him? 

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

Professor Austin wasn't available because he was still too busy asking people about the damn KLIQ.

And after that, he was busy asking "was that a shoot?"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

On topic, what happened to Dr D in Japan? The show mentions him slapping a Japanese reporter and Dr D just makes a dismissive face about his time in Japan, like things didn't work out or something, and then they drop the topic completely. 

Meltzer mentioned this on last night's show.  Apparently the Japan thing was an angle.  Stossel called him asking how to get footage because it would help his lawsuit, and was disappointed to find it was a work.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, quackhell said:

Was the footage of Schultz as a bounty hunter just a news story or a failed attempt at an early reality show? I would have watched the hell out of that show.

I want a Schultz-New Jack bounty hunter show

• Like 6

On 4/30/2020 at 2:14 AM, Evil Otto said:

Since we're all talking about David Schultz:

-I always thought Schultz's second turnbuckle flying elbow drop was excellent.  Such sharp, pointed execution.  I swear I haven't seen other wrestlers copy the move, or do it quite the way he did.  Am I wrong?  

-Dr. D will always be one of the greatest "what if?" wrestlers in history to me.  His bloody matches with Hogan were wild battles of attrition, really setting up Hogan as a legit champion in his early days, even though as a teenager I still always wanted Hogan to lose.  I really wonder what would have happened to Schultz if this incident never occurred, maybe making his way into JCP , going back to AWA eventually, or Japan under far better circumstances.  I tend to agree with Cornette on this one, though;  likely Schultz would have gotten into some other altercation at some point which would eventually turn promoters away.  

What a presence, though.  The dude is/was legit scary.  The perfect "Southern guy who gives zero fucks" archetype.  

Looking back I could see Schultz getting teamed up with Beefcake over Greg Valentine, remember The Hammer was still IC Champ when The Dream Team was formed so Vince keeping him as a single with Dr. D around makes some sense, also Beefcake sucked and needed to be in a tag team.