DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

Delete you account.

Seriously. This was the single dumbest thing I have ever seen posted on these boards (and think of the ground that covers). The guy you are talking about. and were mocking the idea he is a "wrestling historian" has written more great books on wrestling history than just about anyone.

https://www.kayfabenews.com/wrestling-historian-expert-territorial-era-loneliness/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

Delete you account.

Seriously. This was the single dumbest thing I have ever seen posted on these boards (and think of the ground that covers). The guy you are talking about. and were mocking the idea he is a "wrestling historian" has written more great books on wrestling history than just about anyone.

I still think "If you didn't accept PPV Main Eventer Balls Mahoney, you aren't a *REAL* ECW fan," posted by you, is way worse. Dial it down on the overdramatics now and then.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I still think "If you didn't accept PPV Main Eventer Balls Mahoney, you aren't a *REAL* ECW fan," posted by you, is way worse. Dial it down on the overdramatics now and then.

I'm figuring you are twisting something I said. Balls was put on the last match of a show (which BTW made so many people so furious that it won show of the year) because he had a series of real good matches with RVD and they wanted to end the show with RVD in a real good match. Some people didn't like it, the vast majority did.

And even taking your comment at face value: It's nowhere near as dumb as not knowing who Pat, that he is among the leading and most respected wrestling historians and writers and then calling him "autistic". 

For anyone wondering who the unnamed Nordiques player who Dino beat the crap out of was:

Now I think I know who killed Dino: Badaboum.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

I'm figuring you are twisting something I said. Balls was put on the last match of a show (which BTW made so many people so furious that it won show of the year) because he had a series of real good matches with RVD and they wanted to end the show with RVD in a real good match. Some people didn't like it, the vast majority did.

And even taking your comment at face value: It's nowhere near as dumb as not knowing who Pat, that he is among the leading and most respected wrestling historians and writers and then calling him "autistic". 

Did you actually sit down with your careers advisor in school and work out you'd spend your mid-40s playing outraged gatekeeper on an internet wrestling forum because some guy who wrote a grand total of 3 books went unrecognised, or is it a forced career change post CO-VID?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Did you actually sit down with your careers advisor in school and work out you'd spend your mid-40s playing outraged gatekeeper on an internet wrestling forum because some guy who wrote a grand total of 3 books went unrecognised, or is it a forced career change post CO-VID?

Not knowing who he was was dumb, calling him autistic was total bullshit and far more idiotic. Oh and by the way he was involved in 4 books: Two as sole author and two as co-author, all considered among the best ever. You posted something stupid, I pointed out it was stupid, you respond with nonsense that did nothing to refute the factual content of what I said.

• Like 3

Nope. Never heard of the guy.

Never seen any of the 4 books discussed on here. First time I've ever seen the guy. There's been 4 mentions of the guy on this board in 8 years.

I'm sorry if you feel it was an insensitive comment re autism. I can take or leave it. It's probably indicative of this bizarre French Canadian obsession with their local guys as gods despite their irrelevance anywhere else more than anything spectrum.

Dino Bravo was not good. Wrestling historians are dorks. Haven't you got a Hot Topic to be standing outside of and demanding preteens tell you their favourite Iron Maiden album if they're going to wear the shirt?

Edited by RolandTHTG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some After Dark news from Meltz:

Vice will be returning After Dark Tuesday at 9:30 p.m., covering Dino Bravo. The episodes, which were off the schedule, are now taking place on a one week delay. They will be airing a new 30 minutes of last week's show on Dino Bravo, and then have a panel discussion with Jimmy Hart, Jacques Rougeau and Fred Ottman. The following week will be another 9:30 p.m. show on the David Schultz episode that debuts this coming Tuesday. According to PWInsider, Ricky Morton, Brian Blair and Dutch Mantell will be on that show.

I hope they got the Kayfabe Commentaries guy on board as an associate producer, and they arranged for David Schultz to walk in on the Stossel interview singing "Why Can't We Be Friends," followed by 10 minutes of uncomfortableness. 

Bravo could've easily opened a wrestling school and resumed promoting his own shows in Montreal again. Probably could've gotten local TV, since it was still the early 90s. Just chose not to. 

The replay of the Bravo episode includes deleted scenes of Claudia (Dino's daughter) playing cards with Earthquake and going to DisneyWorld with her dad. So somebody got to be Canadian Earthquake in a dramatization only to get cut from the regular episode.

Honestly: how many people back when the 20/20 segment aired didn't know pro wrestling was predetermined? When I went to my first show with my dad at the Mid Hudson Civic Center on March 4th 1986 we were second row and could pick up on the guys calling spots in the ring.

21 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Honestly: how many people back when the 20/20 segment aired didn't know pro wrestling was predetermined? When I went to my first show with my dad at the Mid Hudson Civic Center on March 4th 1986 we were second row and could pick up on the guys calling spots in the ring.

I wouldn't have known. Of course, I was 4 years old at the time. I started watching prior to Survivor Series '88, and I think my grandmother told me it was "fake" sometime in 1989.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie