DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

On 4/17/2020 at 5:44 PM, Curt McGirt said:

FYI I looked for the Iron Sheik doc on US Netflix and nada.

It was definitely on Netflix a few years ago as I remember when following Sheik's Twitter he would promote it all the time.  But Netflix being what they are they likely removed it by now.  But it appears to still be on Amazon Prime.

• Like 1

The Mountie would be a little more sinister these days with a bald Jacques Rougeau.

Edit: Just realized that Jacques now has sort of a Baron Von Raschke look. Or in other words..

"I'm the Da Baron, I'm handsome, I'm brave, I'm strong. I'm Da Baron, and I apply the claw"

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 9

That After Dark on the Snuka episode was even more embarrassing than that infamous Geraldo segment on FNC after the Benoit murder/suicide. Seriously, what an embarrassment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Okay if I am Rick Martel I am seriously thinking about locking all my doors for a good deal.   I mean I guess he didn't care when the shoot interview was done but fuck I am sure he didn't want on a national TV show basically describing how the whole cigarette smuggling ring was working and Dino's involvement

• Like 5

On the plus side for Dino, the Candiens beat the Islanders 5-1 that night and went on to win the Cup. So it wasn't a total loss.

Kidding aside, that was an okay episode. We've all seen the Martel shoot clip in full (most of us at least), so it's not like we were gonna get anything new. Obviously, I felt really bad for his family.

And again, like every other tragic wrestling story; a guy who never worked prior to getting into wrestling, having no fucking idea what to do when they're done.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Only way that could get better is if they arranged for Schultz to show up and surprise Stossel. But I suspect that didn't happen.

It would be even better if Stossel is in mid sentence...

Stossel: "And then he slaps me and says..."

Schultz: "...'is that fake?'."

Stossel turns around and sees a teary eyed Dr. D and they embrace.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Honestly, I think it would be better if the doc ends with Schultz saying something with meaning or with regret and suddenly Stossel runs in, smacks him in the face and yells "Payback's a bitch, bitch!"  and then runs the fuck out of there. And it cuts to black.

• Haha 4

Dr. D firing a TEC-9 and talking about his foreign adventures is gonna be a crack-up. 

The one thing I liked best about this episode was them putting the hotline number on because the case is still open. Good on them, even if it does no good.

I've read and seen a fair bit about the Quebecois Mafia and the biker wars up there and neither group are/were anything to fuck with. The Italians were notorious for their Sicilian "zip" contingent, straight off the boat and infamous for doing jobs that American Mafiosi didn't want to like killing women and children. The Hell's Angels and the Rock Machine waged a war up there that ended in tons of bombings and assassinations before the RCMP and cops managed to shut their most dangerous leaders down for the most part.

Edited by Curt McGirt

12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, that hotline number was on the screen for like 5 seconds.

Haha yeah that was the only problem...

Bruiser would be a good one indeed

EDIT: Holy shit Bruiser bombed a police station?! I knew about the murder stuff but that's pretty wild.

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

That After Dark on the Snuka episode was even more embarrassing than that infamous Geraldo segment on FNC after the Benoit murder/suicide. Seriously, what an embarrassment.

I heard about this somewhere else too but I didn't get to see it. Would you be willing to elaborate a little bit? I'm curious but not enough to sit through a 20-minute watch of it. lol

Fortunately these episodes go on YouTube, so aspiring rats can just rewatch that part of the documentary without conspicuously pausing the documentary to write down the number in front of their friends.

Although if the Montreal mafia has had a run similar to the last 30 years of US mafias, the people who are responsible ended up getting jailed or killed long ago.

Design-wise, they probably should have tried to minimize the amount of white on white for the subtitles.

1 minute ago, Peck said:

I heard about this somewhere else too but I didn't get to see it. Would you be willing to elaborate a little bit? I'm curious but not enough to sit through a 20-minute watch of it. lol

from what I can tell from only sorta paying attention to it tonight... the only real success from the episode involved getting Greg Valentine to do a videocall. But it had stuff like Muchnick showing up for like 90 seconds and using "My grandfather loved your father but you're wrong, Jimmy murdered her" in his cameo.

42 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

from what I can tell from only sorta paying attention to it tonight... the only real success from the episode involved getting Greg Valentine to do a videocall. But it had stuff like Muchnick showing up for like 90 seconds and using "My grandfather loved your father but you're wrong, Jimmy murdered her" in his cameo.

Um, Muchnick was about the only non embarrassing person (besides the guy who did the article that reopened the case) on the entire thing. They were talking about various theories on what happened as if the people involved hadn't bothered to watch the freaking documentary that proceeded the show. The woman's family talked on the doc about how they could see how battered her corpse was at her funeral and I'm supposed to believe anyone with a single functioning brain cell would try and claim she just fell in the shower???

Edited by sabremike
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Um, Muchnick was about the only non embarrassing person (besides the guy who did the article that reopened the case) on the entire thing. They were talking about various theories on what happened as if the people involved hadn't bothered to watch the freaking documentary that proceeded the show. The woman's family talked on the doc about how they could see how battered her corpse was at her funeral and I'm supposed to believe anyone with a single functioning brain cell would try and claim she just fell in the shower???

I was commenting more on how Muchnick pretty much played no part in the show until like the last 2 minutes. But yeah, Valentine wasn't in the WWF at the time and Knobbs was a fan at the time whose main expertise involved answering his phone and being an Allentown native who drank with Snuka in 1991. (Knobbs likely also got Valentine on the show).

I wonder if they figured out after last week to not do After Dark after every episode, or if Vice deciding to run Vice News Tonight directly after Dark Side means that After Dark was sorta without a time slot (I think After Dark ran directly after for the first few episodes but Covid means that Vice actually wants to run their news show at a standard news time slot now)

I like Chris Gethard, and I really don't want to say anything negative about him both because of that and because, you know, his brother is one of us.

But I said after the first episode that After Dark wasn't a great idea. And nothing has changed my mind. It just doesn't work for the kind of subject matter this show has. It was a bad idea and I hope they gave up on it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

On the plus side for Dino, the Candiens beat the Islanders 5-1 that night and went on to win the Cup. So it wasn't a total loss.

Kidding aside, that was an okay episode. We've all seen the Martel shoot clip in full (most of us at least), so it's not like we were gonna get anything new. Obviously, I felt really bad for his family.

I had never seen the Martel clip so a good amount of this is new to me. My fascination with Dino Bravo's death never went beyond scanning a few stories here and there. With that said, I thought it was epic that they still got Martel's explanation in there when he probably turned down participating for good reason. 

I mean it was helpful because the show made a big deal out of Bravo being an enforcer, but that wouldn't make sense for someone to go after an enforcer unless he's cutting side deals. That's where I thought it was heading. But bringing the heat in and losing someone $400,000? Plus, there was talk of him skimming off the top and being involved in a prior drug bust. Yeah, that'll do it.

And again, like every other tragic wrestling story; a guy who never worked prior to getting into wrestling, having no fucking idea what to do when they're done.

I think it says a lot about that state of wrestling in 1992 that a guy like Bravo fresh from WWF didn't try to test his earning potential by shopping himself out to the indies (a little research shows he worked one indie shot in Vermont and that was it for him after he worked the post Mania European tour). With Watts coming into WCW at the time and tightening the purse strings, that likely wasn't a viable option. However, you would think he could have milked it for a few more years. I mean it was funny going back reading old Observers at the time and see something about how a new startup promotion is building around Ivan Koloff or Sgt. Slaughter or whomever was on top fifteen to twenty plus years before.

It makes you wonder how long people thought the WWF gravy train was going to last. If I'm an underneath guy who hasn't really done anything significant in years and seeing the houses go down, I'm planning my exit strategy right then and there.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

What was with the really autistic French Canadian "wrestling historian"?

There's selling the importance of the doco subject to make it seem like a big deal. This guy seemed to genuinely believe that signing Dino Bravo was the big key to Vince going nationwide in the 80s.

Dino Bravo sucked. And that's not just because 6 year old me saw his name on some WWF home videos and got me really excited there was a guy with a dinosaur gimmick. Nope just this lameo. And he injured Bret well before Goldberg and Rollins made it fashionable. Lousy cigarette smuggler.

• Like 4