DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also, I thought Jim was gonna start crying after saying "wrestling is the most important thing in my life" after the Russo rant.

After watching again, I was wrong about that. He goes dead silent and stares at the screen, but it's more like he wants to kill somebody. 

I think the Dr. Death idea came after Severn was out. They kept up making the rules as they went along and that had to be one. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I can certainly see them pushing Doc to a big feud with Austin. You'd have JR putting him over like crazy, him having theoretically ran through the B4A, his bad ass aura... If it would've worked, I'm less convinced.

I said it in the thread we just had about Brawl For All, but I'm still baffled they thought Doc was a ringer in a tourny with Severn. And I know they pushed in this doc that he barely beat Godfather, but if my memory serves, that was mostly them not being able to decide what is and isn't a takedown, and Severn only getting points for like one or two out of four or five. And the bonus points being for punches thrown instead of landed. I'm pretty sure if they had gone head to head, The Beast would've chewed Doc up.

The reason for me it doesn't compute is...you're going to have a bunch of legit fights that were televised across the world to lead up to a...worked match with pulled punches.

At some point, they would have had a change of heart and pivoted to something more logical for Austin.

• Like 2

Nothing to do with Viceland, but has everyone seen the Great Sasuke documentary on YouTube?

This one?

It reminds me of that Mickey Rourke movie.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen the Brawl For All episode, but I did see the Cornette Vs. Russo clip. 

I’ve liked these documentaries so far, but a lot of this feels like Cornette, and Russo working an angle. Or at least they don’t like one another, but they are exaggerating for the cameras to pump up their legend.

I want to think that Russo is serious when he is wondering why we are still dealing with him and Cornette after all these years but 

A.  It is Russo who always lies

B.  It is Russo who is an incredible attention whore.  Like Cornette by the way

The whole thing sorta glossed over the fact that Bart Gunn was able to consider a shootfight rematch with Butterbean because Bart got work in Japan for beating Dr. Death.

Dr. Death wasn’t gonna get a run longer than the Austin/Taker-Kane run.

I guess Dr. Death could have ended up in the Big Bossman position in late 1998. Which would have been a downgrade because SWAT Bossman turned out to be a solid player after years of underwhelming in WCW.

also guess the Undertaker vs Dr. Death would be a solid matchup of gimmick names. 

“Dig it! I needed someone watching the Macho Man’s back, so I looked to the creeeam of the crop. He’s a physician, scientist, adventurer, detective, inventor, explorer, researcher, and musician who’s trained his mind and body to near superhuman abilities. Straight from the Danger Zone, ooooh yeah, it’s my brother...Doc Savage!”

• Like 2

Just got done watching the Brawl for All documentary while having a pizza, that hit the spot. Three thoughts:

1. I remember Bart Gunn knocked Steve Williams, Godfather and Bradshaw out. I forgot all three were KO'd in style.

2. I can't lie, I did enjoy Bradshaw getting KTFO.

3. The part covering Droz's injury was hard going especially seeing the photos taken of Droz as he was paralysed. I've never seen those before. What about everybody else here? Feel for Droz and D-Lo having to deal with the consequences of what happened. Fair dos to both for not blaming the other.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Feel for Droz and D-Lo having to deal with the consequences of what happened. Fair dos to both for not blaming the other.

Yeah. I mean, it was an accident. What can you do? D'Lo and Droz were even booked for a signing together last year, which is a bit weird. I dunno if it went through though. I remember seeing the ad for it.

Hearing Droz describe the sound was something. He must've fallen at such a weird angle for that to have happened. We've all seen some serious neck bumps in our fandom, this must've been nuts.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

A lot of these folks are ALWAYS working, one thing that not a lot of people seemed to catch on the New Jack episode...

I don't think people are missing that part, and honestly it's the part that is kind of the most infuriating.  It would be one thing if all this stuff happened and everyone looked back on it and was able to examine it like human beings, but that never really happens on the New Jack episode.  New Jack cracking legitiamtely funny jokes about almost killing a man makes the documentary entertaining, but it also makes me feel like I'm laughing at a misbehaving toddler and just reinforcing his horrid behavior.  There is a level of laughing though the pain that is charming, but there is a line that New Jack crossed a long time ago, where I don't want to laugh with him any more.  I don't know, I just have a history with people who don't fucking learn, and as much as I may like or love them, some shit ceases to be charming.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I saw Droz get paralyzed on air, or at least get taken out. I damn sure saw Buff Bagwell get his neck broken by that tope con hiro though. 

We have probably all seen way more wrestling injuries that we didn't know were injuries at the time when you think about it.

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm pretty sure I saw Droz get paralyzed on air, or at least get taken out.

They used him getting carried out in the "Don't Try This At Home" ads.

Edited by PetrolCB

14 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

The Mythical Dr Death Main event run seems to be only the thoughts of JR & Cornette because it sure as hell wasn't the fans. 

JR and Cornette back then and now look at pro wrestling through 1986 googles, they saw the 1986 Dr. Death and not the broken down 1998 Dr. Death who was out of sight out of mind of North American fans for years. I bet they pushed like hell for Dr. Death vs. Austin but Vince McMahon shoot it down in a matter of seconds along with Austin who was pretty selective on who he worked with. Remember Austin shot down working with Vince Russo's "boys" like Billy Gunn & Jeff Jarrett so him passing on JR's "boy" isn't far fetched, look at who Austin worked with on PPV's from when he won the belt until he was sidelined with the neck surgery.

Also, The Brawl for All finals were the Monday before SummerSlam 98, there's no way their deviating from the Austin vs. Undertaker vs. Kane which was the ppv storyline for the fall or in the winter when it's the build for Rock vs. Austin at WM.

• Like 1

My main takeaway from the BFA episode was, "Wait a goddamn minute, is Bart Gunn John Morrisons dad?" They had a still shot of Bart Gunn by Adam Bomb backstage at one point and I would swear Gunn looks just like Morrison. 

On the topic of... Was it ever mentioned if Chris Voldermort and Edge were cousins or relatives? Having seen the Voldemort episodes weeks back and the Second Mountain episode last night it struck me how much Edges mom and Voldemorts dad almost could be brother and sister just off their eyes. Like how weird within a month seeing a pair of documentaries and theres something about their eyes where to my stupid buffoon mind they looked to be related. 

Last idiot minded piece about relatives. Is there any way of proving Adam Cole isn't the son of HBK? I hate to come off like some yokel jumping to conclusions about who is related to who but going through the Angle/HBK episode it's almost standing out to me that Adam Cole looks like a reborn, shorter HBK.

Taking it back on topic, I'm about ready to just skip the remainder of the episodes if we get more Cornette/Russo stupidity highlighted on the show. Last season it was enough that it almost took up half an episode, but to see them rekindle it with something about a voicemail and all that and it just veers away from the topic to their feud because it cracks up the producers? 

One moment Bradshaw gets ko'd and Bart wins then theres a cut about Russo saying he got a voicemail (this is after JR mentions the steak and sizzle part) from Cornette and they dont see eye to eye and I'm lost because I can't tell if this voicemail is after the BFA or years later? That's the part where I go, okay forget the subject matter, this is what everyone wants to watch? These two going after each other again, like at this point why not give them their own episode or something and just let them have their own segment away from the stuff we're actually here for?

Even as a little kid in the 80's, the whole "such and such is a legit tough guy" had no appeal to me.

I don't give a fuck if you're a great barroom brawler, what type of worker are you?

Jim Ross always blabbing about a guy being a former football player, or going "well folks, if you like POWER WRESTLING, than this match is for you" just made me roll my eyes.

Hey Jim, let's get that Jushin Liger guy back out here and see him do some more high spots.

Edited by Southside Jim

29 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't think people are missing that part, and honestly it's the part that is kind of the most infuriating.  It would be one thing if all this stuff happened and everyone looked back on it and was able to examine it like human beings, but that never really happens on the New Jack episode.  New Jack cracking legitiamtely funny jokes about almost killing a man makes the documentary entertaining, but it also makes me feel like I'm laughing at a misbehaving toddler and just reinforcing his horrid behavior.  There is a level of laughing though the pain that is charming, but there is a line that New Jack crossed a long time ago, where I don't want to laugh with him any more.  I don't know, I just have a history with people who don't fucking learn, and as much as I may like or love them, some shit ceases to be charming.

What I mean by how New Jack was working everyone was the way he was describing the things that we're going through his head, and the things he was saying or supposedly said. Some of that, if not much of it, is potentially complete bullshit. We will never know if he truly went out there to maim Mass Transit - it makes a much better story for his character to say that was the purpose, to say that Heyman told him to do whatever he wanted. He comes off as totally believable but he's the same dude we saw in Beyond The Ring looking to break into Hollywood.

We don't believe Hulk Hogan when he says wildly over-exaggerated thinks about his time, and while I'm not putting New Jack on quite the level of supreme bullshittery I'd still say he was playing it up a LOT for the sake of his character and also for all the new eyes on him because of Vice. Anytime you sit somebody down from the world of pro wrestling you are never going to get 100% the truth, so you have the line about how Vic Grimes didn't need any legs, bombs away, sounds simultaneously hilarious and evil, but who fucking knows?

In the end though I would much rather listen to New Jack talk shit than Russo or Cornette.

• Like 1

Here's the lineup for the rest of the season 

Spoiler
7 1 "Benoit Part One" Nancy Benoit and Chris Benoit double-murder and suicide Chris Jericho March 24, 2020 0.320[16]
8 2 "Benoit Part Two" Nancy Benoit and Chris Benoit double-murder and suicide Chris Jericho March 24, 2020 0.320[16]
9 3 "The Life and Crimes of New Jack" New Jack Chris Jericho March 31, 2020 0.229[17]
10 4 "The Brawl For All" WWF Brawl for All Chris Jericho April 7, 2020 TBD
11 5 "Jimmy Snuka and the Death of Nancy Argentino" Jimmy Snuka Chris Jericho April 14, 2020 TBD
12 6 "The Assassination of Dino Bravo" Dino Bravo Chris Jericho April 21, 2020 TBD
13 7 TBA David Schultz Chris Jericho April 28, 2020 TBD
14 8 TBA Herb Abrams and the UWF Chris Jericho May 5, 2020 TBD
15 9 TBA The Road Warriors Chris Jericho May 12, 2020 TBD
16 10 TBA Owen Hart Chris Jericho May 19, 2020 TBD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Not surprising that they schedule the Owen one the closest day to the anniversary of his death. 

To be fair, it's probably coincidental. That episode was most likely always going to be the finale anyways. I wish all of these were two hours long.

Edited by PetrolCB