DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Rich Palladino, Beyond Wrestling ring announcer shoot interview. 30 minutes in, he talks about how the Revere MA show with the Mass Transit incident was the first ECW show he ring announced. Confirms that Transit claimed to be 19 and a Kowalski trainee, neither of which were true (and Palladino worked for Kowalski all the time back then).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the documentary they said the kid claimed to be 21 but that could just be 25 years of the story getting retold and details getting mixed up. The security guards from the show also have interviews. 

there’s a lot of Jim Cornette And D’Lo Brown in this episode too on New Jack’s Smoky Mountain days. 

this is the episode where Jericho takes on a traditional narrator role. 

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

I thought i recalled it being mentioned here in the immediate aftermath. Just that the one or two people who put it out there were just shouted down fast since it was obvious bs wishful thinking.

Even that was one of the weirder things they left out of the documentary- the fact that it was confirmed later by police officers that the marks on his neck made it clear Benoit used the Crippler Crossface to strangle Daniel. That was one of those details that's salacious enough you'd think it'd come up as well- especially given the narrative of how obsessed he was with the sport and how it led to these things.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Rich Palladino, Beyond Wrestling ring announcer shoot interview. 30 minutes in, he talks about how the Revere MA show with the Mass Transit incident was the first ECW show he ring announced. Confirms that Transit claimed to be 19 and a Kowalski trainee, neither of which were true (and Palladino worked for Kowalski all the time back then).

If that's the case, it gives more case to concur. (Even then, it's still a case where, as I said in the discussion thread, Transit was trained- if not by Kowalski, then by some lesser trainer- because Transit was working small-time shows in the Rhode Island/southeastern Massachusetts area before that [and that is still an obvious fact: this was in 1997 before the rise of backyard wrestling and people making it big from the backyards, where even the smallest wrestling promoter wouldn't touch you unless you went to wrestling school.) 

There were/are so many stupid ass "theories" to this day of fans that just can't accept that Benoit was a monster. The "Kevin Sullivan did it and framed Chris" one got the most traction after the police report made it obvious Nancy died well before Daniel, but I've also seen people apparently sincerely express their conviction that Vince put a hit on the family, or that, for some reason, John Cena was the killer amongst others.

I think it's the same reason everyone latched onto CTE as THE reason. Because nobody wants to admit someone that their hero was responsible for strangling a little boy to death. Because it implicates their own memories. Our own memories. I'm sure CTE played a role, but it's been almost 13 years, and there have been a whole lot of posthumous diagnosis of CTE for football players, wrestlers, etc, and not nearly as many shocking crimes committed by them. One or two, but the list is short. Depression, grief, CTE, steroids and pills, maybe alcohol... All of combines to sorta explain where his brain broke at, but none of it can actually explain why that happened that weekend. I said it before in that thread Matt linked, but Benoit was, for me, the end of hero worship.

Also, and this isn't really important, but I coulda swore the "Benoit killed Daniel with the Crossface" story was debunked a few days after it came out.

• Like 7

Poor Kev. He used to do signings at a collectibles store in the dirt mall near me. He was buddies with the owner, so it was an “appearance” but he was really there to just hang out and bullshit. Whenever it was advertised online it was guaranteed some shithead would have something to say and act like they were going to show up and give him a piece of their mind. I’m sure they never did, but I wouldn’t have minded watching him make them piss their pants. 

Re: Benoit Episode

We don't have Vice, and I've never seen any of the episodes before. Have heard they're great, but never watched any of them.

The wife and I watched it last night. She *vaguely* knew that his name and history had been wiped, but didn't know what all had happened, and when she asked I usually took in a deep breath and said it's hard to explain, so we watched it.

I lost it back then when I saw Regal's segment on the Raw after. I lost it again last night just thinking of that segment. Thankfully they didn't show all of it but rather a snippet. That's one thing that is pretty much guaranteed to make me break down, because his segment was so...different. Like you knew that he knew something, but we didn't know to what extent. I'd imagine the burden he (might) have to simply be unbearable, because what could he have done? You all know that I LOVE Regal, but that's one thing I don't enjoy watching of his because of what it does to me.

She was shocked towards the end when JR said that it almost brought the whole industry down. I had to tell her that it was a very difficult time to be a wrestling fan.

I got through the doc okay, but the Eddie parts were really rough. His death really was very difficult to get over and/or move on from.

Two things I'm really surprised they didn't mention:
1) The slew of out of work or disgruntled wrestlers the media interviewed during the "Was it steroids?" period
2) The Fragile-X story/theory that was in between Steroids and CTE theories

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There were/are so many stupid ass "theories" to this day of fans that just can't accept that Benoit was a monster. The "Kevin Sullivan did it and framed Chris" one got the most traction after the police report made it obvious Nancy died well before Daniel, but I've also seen people apparently sincerely express their conviction that Vince put a hit on the family, or that, for some reason, John Cena was the killer amongst others.

I think it's the same reason everyone latched onto CTE as THE reason. Because nobody wants to admit someone that their hero was responsible for strangling a little boy to death. Because it implicates their own memories. Our own memories. I'm sure CTE played a role, but it's been almost 13 years, and there have been a whole lot of posthumous diagnosis of CTE for football players, wrestlers, etc, and not nearly as many shocking crimes committed by them. One or two, but the list is short. Depression, grief, CTE, steroids and pills, maybe alcohol... All of combines to sorta explain where his brain broke at, but none of it can actually explain why that happened that weekend. I said it before in that thread Matt linked, but Benoit was, for me, the end of hero worship.

Also, and this isn't really important, but I coulda swore the "Benoit killed Daniel with the Crossface" story was debunked a few days after it came out.

My roommate at the time of the murders was a Fayette Co. Sheriff's Deputy. He said in the weeks after the murders they got tips so inane they could've gotten rich from selling them as a coffee table book. 

I finally watched the Benoit doc. I've talked about this before, but I was acquaintances with the Benoit family when they lived in Peachtree City. First of all, it was a bit surreal to see the church I went to preschool in used as "b-roll" footage during the 911 dispatch call segment. The part where the WWE rep says "he's a very religious man." That's First Baptist Fayetteville. That water tower they showed is a landmark. We used to drink beer and shoot vermin with .22's out there. I remember seeing Chris a good it from the time I met him in 2002 to his death. He doted on that little boy. Daniel. I never saw him without him unless there was a specific reason why Daniel couldn't be there. I spotted Chris some at the gym, and our relationship grew from there. I wouldn't ever say we were friends. I actually knew Mike Durham a little better, through his wife. But I remember specifically hearing rumors about other things that happened between Chris and Nancy. One time in particular, when they were living in a town home in another part of Fayette Co., Nancy threw him out after a domestic incident and Chris lived in his car at the end of their driveway for a few nights. There was an incident in public at the local pizza parlor, which is something of an institution locally, that I don't remember the particulars of. Several others. So when people say those murders were completely out of the blue, I pause. Were they highly unlikely? Certainly. Were they unfathomable? No. In fact, when Chad (previously mentioned roommate) called me about 3 pm that Monday having just fled the crime scene, his exact statement was "your favorite wrestler just killed his whole family." Years later he would cite that particular investigation as what drove him to leave the force. 

I remember William Regal's testimony during that memorial show, and how out of place it felt after the tearful speeches earlier in the evening. Chris Jericho mentioned it, but I think one of the reasons why his tone got so detached was that the 10 o clock news in Atlanta had just started, and they led with the Benoit story. Almost at the exact moment that William Regal is going on the air, the Sheriff of Fayette County is announcing that they're treating this investigation as a double homicide/suicide. I know this because I'd gone to my mom and dad's to get away for a bit, and I could hear their tv tuned to the news as I was watching Raw. Just a surreal, horrible night that I'll never forget. I once posted a much longer summary of my experiences with Benoit, if anyone feels like finding it. 

It does sadden me that my hometown, which has wonderful schools, a great standard of living, and actually houses the studios where the bulk of the Marvel films are made, will always be tied to this senseless tragedy. Calvin Johnson, Golf carts and the Benoit murders. That's what people know about Fayette County. 

• Like 14

The Regal thing; both Regal and JBL have told the story that, right before Regal went in to record his, JBL just kinda mused out loud to him "you don't think Chris killed that boy, do you?" and that's what got Regal so cautious. He didn't know, hadn't heard it yet, but between what he knew about them and hearing JBL say that, it got his guard up.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Two things I'm really surprised they didn't mention:
1) The slew of out of work or disgruntled wrestlers the media interviewed during the "Was it steroids?" period
2) The Fragile-X story/theory that was in between Steroids and CTE theories

Honestly, the Fragile-X story was weird, as well as them mentioning the time Sullivan allegedly beat Nancy when he didn't respond to it, but they didn't mention the times when Benoit himself had beaten Nancy. That would have changed things, similarly to the Fragile-X story. 

The disgruntled wrestlers and the "was it steroids?" period, was always a question it was hard to do. At least the CTE theory made more sense, but mentioning Christopher Nowinski's work and unprotected chair shots without mentioning the related Nowinski claim: Where most people take unprotected chair shots to the crown of the head [still foolhardy, but where the skull protects the brain the most], Benoit notably took unprotected chair shots to the back of the head (where the brain is least protected by the skull.)

The steroid thing, on the other hand, was pretty easy to not mention since the time period seemed to cloud why "roid rage" was blamed for it- since it was June/July 2007, the media harping on roid rage had reeked of "we really, really want to pin this on steroids because we're butthurt that Barry Bonds breaking the home run record is imminent and we want to be able to say 'See? Steroids are bad, you're evil if you do steroids, and they should strike Bonds's home run record from the books!"

On 3/28/2020 at 12:31 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Was never into Benoit the way others on this board or in the community were, and I was never a big hero worship type in general. That said, this situation is what killed it for me entirely. I feel like you can just never fully known anyone even if you are close to them, and you can also never really know what will push a person fully over the edge. 

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

I checked out the post-show and did anyone else think it felt gross that someone on the production side said "you know what the post-show panel for this really heavy story about a guy that killed his wife, his child, and then himself needs...A COMEDIAN WITH NO ATTACHMENT TO ANY OF THIS!"

The only thing I really liked about the post show was the deleted clips. Well, even then, liked isn't the right word, but...

Nothing against Chris Gethard, but I just don't think this series lends itself to the Talking Dead thing.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

The only thing I really liked about the post show was the deleted clips. Well, even then, liked isn't the right word, but...

Nothing against Chris Gethard, but I just don't think this series lends itself to the Talking Dead thing.

I was fine with Gethard as a host, my issue was more with the panel being Tommy Dreamer, Chavo Guerrero, and random comedian.

Like if you are going to do a post-show for this, the panel should just be wrestlers and wrestling-adjacent personalities. Maybe bring the comedian on for the Herb Abrams episode, but most of these stories really don't have room for too much in the way of "hilarity ensues" laughter built into them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peck said:

Catching up on The Wrestlers while shuttered in at home... did Mia Yim ever publicly out who abused her?

She never has but people connected that Jay Rios was who she was dating at the time.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, The Natural said:

I forgot to mention, William Regal's haunting tribute on the Chris Benoit RAW Tribute show. Regal's intelligent and knew something was up and so did Chris Jericho watching that, it wasn't going to be good.

13 years ago I remember exactly where I was when Regal gave his tribute.  I actually posted my horror when it happened on this board which shows you how old I am.  You just assumed they were all murdered by some unknown group or it was carbon monoxide..or SOMETHING, then Regal gets a little cryptic in his comments...and he just doesn't look right...at all...and I just knew "Oh My God...Chris killed them."  I only finished watching that RAW out of denial.   

7 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I was fine with Gethard as a host, my issue was more with the panel being Tommy Dreamer, Chavo Guerrero, and random comedian.

Like if you are going to do a post-show for this, the panel should just be wrestlers and wrestling-adjacent personalities. Maybe bring the comedian on for the Herb Abrams episode, but most of these stories really don't have room for too much in the way of "hilarity ensues" laughter built into them.

Just about anyone that really likes/liked cocaine and wrestling could be on the panel for the Herb Abrams episode. Sadly, I didn't make the cut.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Isn't that @Greggulator's brother? Is he as big a fan?

He is a huge fan. He had both Sami Zayn and X-PAC on separate episodes on his old show. The X-PAC episode also had Jon Hamm in a sumo wrestling suit. Chris and Colt Cabana are also really good friends and have done a lot of work together over the years. 

We actually went on vacation together last winter to go to a NXT Taping. 

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 4