DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

9 hours ago, Tabe said:

Not about her air time.  Don't care if she was on TV or not.  Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying.

No, I'm completely understanding what you're saying. What you're saying just doesn't make any sense.

The 2 parts of this show included a LOT about Benoit as a husband, as a father, and so on.  We were told what an amazing dad he was - to his two sons.  We see lots and lots of pictures - of his two sons.  We're shown a picture collage from his wedding that's the greatest thing ever - with his two sons.  They made a big theme of the documentary his family life - but completely deleted one of his children. Why?  Maybe it bothers no one else but it  makes me question what they're leaving out to weave that narrative if they're completely leaving out one of his kids while emphasizing what a great father he was.

If this narrative was so untrue, she (the absent daughter) or another wrestler who knew Chris since a lot of wrestlers live in the Atlanta area would have come forward and said he was a terrible father. For one, they didn't say Chris wasn't abusive at all. Moreover, they didn't cut out that Nancy was staying with her sister at one point cause it got so bad. One abuse isn't better than the other. If they wanted to hide something, they could have hid it much better and just made it seem like his relationship with Nancy was fine and dandy. Also, they could have cut out the part where Vicki got mad he gave Daniel pills before he killed them. In addition, they left in the parts where all these people were really struggling with what Chris did and how they look at him. It went from "well, he was perhaps the greatest wrestler of all time" to "there is no way this dude deserves to be in the Hall of Fame". Not only does it affect how people look at him as a performer/wrestler, but as a human being period. This includes being a husband and also a father. It would have been nice to have an additional face, but we got all that we needed. This documentary wasn't going to give us answers we already didn't have in twelve and a half years. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Spent an hour coming up with the following...

I watched Dark Side of the Ring: Benoit Part One and Two over the past fortnight. It’s the most I’ve seen of Chris Benoit since that horrific June 2007. This is one of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen but it’s tough to get through, had to break it up. I felt so sorry for Nancy Benoit, Daniel Benoit, David Benoit and Sandra Toffoloni, Nancy’s sister. The things Chavo Guerrero Jr., Chris Jericho, Vicki Guerrero and Dean Malenko have gone through. You feel for those alive wondering how it came to this. I’m glad Nancy/Woman’s work was praised as it should be. There is an uplifting moment seeing David Benoit and Sandra Toffoloni back in touch through Chris Jericho and went to watch wrestling together.

Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero are two of the greatest wrestlers of all time. Eddie got clean, is loved by all and his matches/segments are shown to this day. Benoit’s a murderer, his name and footage of him is hardly seen. I strongly recommend this documentary but the subject matter is obviously distressing and seeing Benoit/Nancy/Daniel together is chilling.

Thanks for reading.

I forgot to mention, William Regal's haunting tribute on the Chris Benoit RAW Tribute show. Regal's intelligent and knew something was up and so did Chris Jericho watching that, it wasn't going to be good.

I was a big fan of Chris Benoit. I was thrilled to have won a signed Chris Benoit 8x10 signed photo which I framed for my wall. When the facts emerged, that photo was removed and placed into a folder. I joined the DVDVR MB in September 2005, my user name was The Crippler till the truth came out about what happened. I voluntarily changed my username to this ever since. Words fail me now.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

For me it provided a really difficult bit of nuance on the motive/reasoning for why the murders happened. 

It's always been a single act, whether it was in cold blood, CTE or.....yeah, "roid rage".

The Google search history (in particular the Ezekiel quote), the spacing between the 3 deaths, the phone calls about the stomach bugs, him still trying to make the show, the different modes of death. I don't think it's a one sized fits all, and its difficult to try and figure it out. 

Whichever way you look at the timeline of events proceeding and what motivated them, it's difficult to pin it all on CTE, at some point in there, a sense of rationale was guiding it.

• Like 4

Just finished it, a harrowing watch. Such a surreal time back then.

One positive I took (along with the ones you guys have mentioned) is that Chris Nowinski got the fuck out of dodge, saving his body and brain and now being able to help others. That takes balls. 

Edited by peterien
  • Like 3

My girlfriend is a true crime fanatic and so she knew about the case even before we met and we moved in together and I had to just be honest about watching wrestling, so it was interesting to get her reaction to it coming from a largely non-fan place for most of her life.

One thing I was hoping they would address when criticizing/discussing the Raw tribute which they didn't: I was staying outside of Stamford at the time working and going to school and had gone to a Cards vs Mets game at the old Shea that night, and before I'd heard what happened I noticed when we passed Titan on the highway that the flag was at half mast on the roof. I never did find out whether it was for the stupid Vince limo angle, or another Benoit related thing

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

I forgot to mention, William Regal's haunting tribute on the Chris Benoit RAW Tribute show. Regal's intelligent and knew something was up and so did Chris Jericho watching that, it wasn't going to be good.

I was a big fan of Chris Benoit. I was thrilled to have won a signed Chris Benoit 8x10 signed photo which I framed for my wall. When the facts emerged, that photo was removed and placed into a folder. I joined the DVDVR MB in September 2005, my user name was The Crippler till the truth came out about what happened. I voluntarily changed my username to this ever since. Words fail me now.

Benoit was my favorite wrestler. Everything he did looked so crisp, so fluid, so perfect. I met The Radicalz in April 2000 at a signing at the Rt.18 Flea Market in East Brunswick, NJ. Eddie was easily the nicest and most personable of the group. My fandom for Benoit never soured despite my less than great experience meeting him. I got pictures with them in two groups, Eddie & Saturn, Benoit & Malenko. I think I looked at those photos once just after the murders, but since then they've been tucked away in storage. 

At least there's been some bit of healing for those close to the Benoit's and Eddie. That's really the only bit of positivity than can come from such horror. They're all some seriously strong people. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

One thing I was hoping they would address when criticizing/discussing the Raw tribute which they didn't: I was staying outside of Stamford at the time working and going to school and had gone to a Cards vs Mets game at the old Shea that night, and before I'd heard what happened I noticed when we passed Titan on the highway that the flag was at half mast on the roof. I never did find out whether it was for the stupid Vince limo angle, or another Benoit related thing

If I'm understanding the timing of this correctly, and you saw this on the Monday night that the Benoit tribute aired, it's clearly for him and not the Vince angle. Even if they would have gone so far as to lower the flag for the Vince angle, didn't the stock immediately take a huge hit because people are idiots and thought Vince was shoot dead? I doubt they'd still want to lean into that angle a week later after actual deaths.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

If I'm understanding the timing of this correctly, and you saw this on the Monday night that the Benoit tribute aired, it's clearly for him and not the Vince angle. Even if they would have gone so far as to lower the flag for the Vince angle, didn't the stock immediately take a huge hit because people are idiots and thought Vince was shoot dead? I doubt they'd still want to lean into that angle a week later after actual deaths.

Doing a little research...they did it for the Vince angle. It's likely they did it, and just never raised it back up until the day after the tribute episode.

Nancy’s sister hit the nail on the head at the end when she said this was a combination of Drinking, pills and CTE. 

Also Jericho connecting her and his son gave me a new respect for him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is new to me, can you elaborate a bit? 

Well the easy answer is New Jack being New Jack... It does beg the question of after years of his antics why would anyone get in the ring with him for any amount of money?

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Well the easy answer is New Jack being New Jack... It does beg the question of after years of his antics why would anyone get in the ring with him for any amount of money?

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just saying, how did he piss him off. Of course it could have been anything, I know.

If we're talking about the ECW era, people got on easy with Jack until they ran afoul of him (see the JYD weed money story and other stories) or Jack decided he was going to do something to get himself over. Moreover, we're talking about a bunch of dudes hopped on God knows what and letting grown men hit them full speed with chairs. Working with Jack was the least of their worries.

As for afterwards...it's not like New Jack is out here working the top, reputable indies. He is working on shows ran by marks and/or working against people who grew up watching "hardcore shit". Those people would sign up to work with him. 

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

It amazes me (though it shouldn't) that despite all the shoot interview stuff I've watched and shit I've read about Jack, y'all keep coming up with shit I've never heard of. Never heard of the JYD story, never heard of the Dudley hanging. 

Sidenote: I still till this day remember hearing the report on the local radio in Mississippi about JYD passing away in the car accident.

• Like 2

Speaking of Nancy, maybe it's because I was lurking mostly on wrestling message boards other than posting here occasionally, I've never heard the pre-unfolding of what actually happened being that Nancy killed Daniel and then in a blind rage Chris killed her and later killed himself until this show. I think everyone has heard the carbon monoxide poisoning one.

I've heard Schiavone say that Nancy use to tape a blade to her finger and zip marks/fans on the back as maybe a preemptive measure. However, it's quite a leap that she would kill her own child for no apparent reason. I am not saying it could not happen in light of Casey Anthony and Andrea Yates. There was also a story fairly recently about two women from the PNW driving off a cliff with all of their adoptive children after it was starting to leak out they were depraving them of food and mentally abusing them. I'm just saying it was dropped in the documentary with no explanation as to why someone would think Nancy would do that.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

50 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I've heard Schiavone say that Nancy use to tape a blade to her finger and zip marks/fans on the back as maybe a preemptive measure. 

Say what?!?

26 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Say what?!?

It's on a What Happened When episode. I dunno which out of 170+ episodes, but Tony said that when Conrad asked about Nancy specifically and how she could be. 

25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Phil should just rename this Sleaze Thread V2 now to save time.

You motherfuckers are late to the party because that's rated G compared to Tony talking about Klondike Bill eating parking lot panties and the story about Ric Flair after Starrcade 90 in St. Louis. Moreover, @Tabe spent a whole page insinuating shit that was irrelevant. Get a grip.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of Nancy, maybe it's because I was lurking mostly on wrestling message boards other than posting here occasionally, I've never heard the pre-unfolding of what actually happened being that Nancy killed Daniel and then in a blind rage Chris killed her and later killed himself until this show. 

It was wishful thinking. It wasn’t on this board, but I’ve seen a forum thread in the immediate aftermath where this was floated. There was a brief period between when it was announced that it was a murder/suicide and when it was confirmed Chris was responsible where people were still clinging to the belief he wasn’t capable of killing Daniel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It was wishful thinking. It wasn’t on this board, but I’ve seen a forum thread in the immediate aftermath where this was floated. There was a brief period between when it was announced that it was a murder/suicide and when it was confirmed Chris was responsible where people were still clinging to the belief he wasn’t capable of killing Daniel. 

Okay, that explains the online side of it. However, for someone in the documentary to say it, that theory makes it sound like Nancy would have severe bouts of depression or something maybe due to what was happening with Chris (never coming to grips with Eddie's passing, the domestic abuse, his abuse of PEDs, neglecting his home life for the sake of wrestling). You would need some type of rationale to think, "Oh well, that's something Nancy might do." 

54 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I thought i recalled it being mentioned here in the immediate aftermath. Just that the one or two people who put it out there were just shouted down fast since it was obvious bs wishful thinking.