DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

I mean when the first minute is Jericho saying something like "If you are going to get pissed that I am talking this way about a murderer then turn it off" already makes me queasy how this is going to go.  

Okay watch it.  You this is going to be painful as hell.  The 2nd half of the hour is basically about Eddy Guerrero life and how his death seriously messed with Benoit.   According to Vickie, Eddy has 3 overdoses before he got clean off the drugs not named steroids.  The last one she just let him sit there and didn't call 911 because it wasn't worth it.  Never heard that story.   But Benoit dealing with Eddy's death was the really hard part.  Stories of Benoit crying uncontrollably while laying in Eddy's bed and everywhere else.   We all kind of thought that his death really hurt his soul but if Vicki and Jericho are to be believed then that fucker should have never wrestled again until he got help.

Oh and looking at David Benoit is really hard to take because he looks exactly like him.    

Edited by hammerva

I was mentally prepared for the Benoit story. I was not for how deep it went into the Eddy story, to the point it at times felt like he was the topic. That rocked me.

I mean, I knew he would come up, but...

• Sad 4

That was a tough 44 minutes, and it had only just gotten to the event.

It's like reliving two nightmares. I just wanted it all to not be true all over again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Seeing David's eyes and face light up while he was talking about his dad...

Seeing Chavo break down.

This put me in a very bad place.

It amazes me Chavo hasn't been completely broken by the deaths of Eddy and Chris.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It amazes me Chavo hasn't been completely broken by the deaths of Eddy and Chris.

I was just talking to Bix about that. The fact that Chavo is still mentally intact, and even appears to be relatively happy these days, is a testament to how God damn tough a person he must be. Between finding Eddy and those text messages...

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I was just talking to Bix about that. The fact that Chavo is still mentally intact, and even appears to be relatively happy these days, is a testament to how God damn tough a person he must be. Between finding Eddy and those text messages...

Not just finding Eddy, but Eddy dying in his arms.

Fuck. 

That was...yeah. I don't cry often but the part about Eddie really broke me. Hearing Vickie talk about the overdoses was rough. I've put my family members in that position and they've never told me those things but I am sure some of them have thought that it might have been better to just not call 911 so hearing her put that into words really shook me. I'm not sure if I will watch the rest Tuesday (or Wednesday most likely) or wait a bit. I don't know if this period of time will be the best for something that brings me down like this will. Especially since there isn't much there to make a happy ending out of. 

• Like 3

On 3/18/2020 at 8:32 PM, sabremike said:

I don't understand why people think this topic isn't a perfect one for a 30 for 30esque series like this where most of them are based around in depth looks interesting and lesser known subjects. Honestly the Herb Abrams one is the one I'm looking most forward to (and I'm shocked that nobody online has produced throwback "Mr Electricity" shirts) because he has a pretty strong claim to being the craziest person in the entire American wrestling industry of the past 40 or so years. I mean his ultimate finish was a million times better than any finish on any show he ever promoted.

Cocaine's a helluva drug!

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2020 at 9:43 PM, Technico Support said:

What's funny is if you re-read the Shultz quote, it just says "pursuing criminals as far as Egypt and Puerto Rico."  It doesn't say he caught them.  ?   He just sort of followed them and called it a day.

I can easily see going to either Egypt or Puerto Rico for a vacation, catching criminals? Not so much.

• Like 1

I think a show called "Bounty Hunter Deathmatch" might have some legs. Perhaps start with Dr. D vs. Dog Chapman, if only because I think Chapman is the sort of person who needs his ass kicked early and often.

On 3/20/2020 at 6:11 PM, odessasteps said:

I dont think I have the stomach to watch this at present. 

It's understandable. This isn't really uplifting subject matter. The Benoit tragedy left a heavy scar on us all. Benoit was an icon and for a community like DVDR he was beloved. It was so shocking and hard to understand. And while we all speculate, we still don't have a lot of definitive answers other than head trauma and brain damage, depression and grief, possible drug abuse. I'm still confused about the disconnect of Cena going on Larry King and claiming Benoit tested clean for anabolic steroids. Is testosterone not a steroid? 

If it makes anyone feel any better, there is one somewhat uplifting moment in the second half. 

The Eddie stuff was rough. I had no idea things had gotten that bad with his drug problems. I feel so bad for Vickie. 

I wasn't aware of the Sullivan/Nancy abuse allegations either. It does sort of add a lot of additional depth to that relationship that Nancy saw Benoit as a refuge and protector at first. It's still surreal that what was playing out on TV was happening in real life to some degree and everyone kind of continued on TV like usual, still with Sullivan booking and Benoit on the roster. I mean like when it happened in TNA with Angle and Jarrett...didn't they basically send Jarrett home for a while before they all worked things out?

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think Benoit was "technically" clean because he had a TUE, but his t-levels were absurdly high.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/sports/othersports/17wrestling.html

This is all I could find in reference to Benoit having a T.U.E., which I believe the Wellness Policy allowed at the time. It was before the toxicology reports came back. He was also on the Sports Illustrated steroid list, along with Eddie Guerrero.

Also, the documentary didn't get into it, but one book on the Benoit tragedy alleged he was having an affair with Michelle McCool. I say alleged because it's technically not proven, but there's evidence Benoit was trying to get into contact with her, Nancy suspected an affair, other people in the locker room knew about it, and Benoit was discreetly meeting someone for a rendezvous. 

22 hours ago, bazzil said:

Big thank you, @bazzil. One of the best wrestling documentaries I've watched but the most brutal to watch. Had to break it up into chunks. Brings it all back, man. What a terrible time. Watched very little Chris Benoit since that point.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1