DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

15 minutes ago, AxB said:

I don't see how someone can fly from the United States to Egypt, arrest someone in Egypt and then fly back to America with them in their custody.

You think that's fake?

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I don't see how someone can fly from the United States to Egypt, arrest someone in Egypt and then fly back to America with them in their custody. Isn't that kidnapping?

That sounds like Hogan size bullshit.

I admire the shit out of David Schultz. There were alot of guys out of his mold whose career ended because of that type of a fuck up and they just pissed away. He kept it together and made a life for himself.

That Nancy Sullivan pic is creepy for a different reason I’ve mentioned before (but not since their death I don’t think and probably shouldn’t now).

• Like 1

Dog the Bounty Hunter got in deep shit for repatriating an American fugitive from Mexico, didn't he? 

What's funny is if you re-read the Shultz quote, it just says "pursuing criminals as far as Egypt and Puerto Rico."  It doesn't say he caught them.  ?   He just sort of followed them and called it a day.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

What's funny is if you re-read the Shultz quote, it just says "pursuing criminals as far as Egypt and Puerto Rico."  It doesn't say he caught them.  ?   He just sort of followed them and called it a day.

Probably because he COULDN'T FIND A WOMAN while abroad.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

You think that's fake?

Egypt and the US have an extradition treaty, so it *could* be true to some degree (as in following the criminal to Egypt and, probably the US embassy, inform the Egyptian police about the wanted man/woman).

7 hours ago, Robert s said:

Egypt and the US have an extradition treaty, so it *could* be true to some degree (as in following the criminal to Egypt and, probably the US embassy, inform the Egyptian police about the wanted man/woman).

I was referencing his quote after he slapped Stossel.

Since folks have raised the question around "Why Brawl For All?" - Meltzer talked about it on the radio show this morning.

Basically - his impression is that they are trying to do as many topics as possible that allow them to use Jim Cornette and Vince Russo. Take that for what it is.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 9:26 AM, RIPPA said:

Since folks have raised the question around "Why Brawl For All?" - Meltzer talked about it on the radio show this morning.

Basically - his impression is that they are trying to do as many topics as possible that allow them to use Jim Cornette and Vince Russo. Take that for what it is.

I don't understand why people think this topic isn't a perfect one for a 30 for 30esque series like this where most of them are based around in depth looks interesting and lesser known subjects. Honestly the Herb Abrams one is the one I'm looking most forward to (and I'm shocked that nobody online has produced throwback "Mr Electricity" shirts) because he has a pretty strong claim to being the craziest person in the entire American wrestling industry of the past 40 or so years. I mean his ultimate finish was a million times better than any finish on any show he ever promoted.

• Like 2

If you actually think about it, Brawl for All is a perfect subject. We discussed this last summer (late July to be specifically) in this same thread, where @odessasteps succinctly hit it on the head. Not that you haven't had shoot fights on the same card as worked fights (I mean promotions in Japan already did this years earlier) before, but to do this during an era where kayfabe in North American wrestling was still critical is mind-boggling. Keep in mind, your biggest star at the time is a guy who is portrayed as the toughest SOB in the world and a mega badass. He was not a part of this. Underneath that is a bunch of supposed rugged tough guys who were lauded for being badasses themselves among smart fans and the boys in the back, and they go out there and proceed to demonstrate and display the worst looking technique and (lack of) fighting acumen you could ever imagine. You got a dude out there with one eye fighting, and you got a bunch of dudes getting concussed and seriously injured while exposing the business. Add in the fact, part of the excuse to do this was you had nothing for most of these guys to do in a creative sense.

At no point in wrestling on this side of the Atlantic would it seem somewhat logical to do this except the late 90s. Look at the landscape of actual shoot combat sports. You had John McCain and others putting the screws to UFC/NHB fighting, and UFC's business eventually cratering around that time leading to a two year dark period and overall wouldn't fully recover until 2005. PRIDE FC was starting to take off. K-1 was still enjoying great success as well in the kakutougi boom. You had HBO boxing (through TVKO PPV) becoming somewhat bloated and beginning to over saturate the market, but still producing big marquee fights from time to time. Mike Tyson was his own phenomenon post Holyfield fights which WWF only helped to amplify months earlier, and he hadn't been reinstated yet to boxing. Toughman contests began to become prominent. The very next summer, Toughman shows would be airing on FX and doing great ratings.  Russo can bullshit and make it seem like this was something that just happened on a whim, but in essence, Brawl for All was one of the most nineties things ever. I mean combat sports (specifically boxing) transformed from this exclusive celebrity event with pomp and circumstance you would associate with something like the Showtime Lakers and the fabulous Forum Club to a more excessive, brash, gritty, and over the top tone and vibe that was quintessential to the mid to late nineties. What was happening in pro wrestling started to parallel that. Instead of just saying, "hey, it's better here since we can keep that aura through controlling the outcomes", they started to play with fire. With this context, it should be considered one of the biggest eyesores in the history of pro wrestling.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 13

I've seen the full Chris Benoit episode, and it's quite possibly the greatest wrestling-themed documentary I've ever seen. It far surpasses anything the Dark Side of the Ring crew did in Season 1. Everyone needs to watch this episode. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I've seen the full Chris Benoit episode, and it's quite possibly the greatest wrestling-themed documentary I've ever seen. It far surpasses anything the Dark Side of the Ring crew did in Season 1. Everyone needs to watch this episode. 

Cheers for the early review, @TheVileOne.

What will this show on, UK posters?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers for the early review, @TheVileOne.

What will this show on, UK posters?

Vice. Virgin 219, Sky 183, BT/Talktalk 338. Also on All4 sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

Vice. Virgin 219, Sky 183, BT/Talktalk 338. Also on All4 sometimes.

Any idea what is the release date in the UK for season 2, I can't wait to watch the Benoit 2 hour special.

• Like 1

Season One aired in the UK after it had finished airing in the USA, so most likely season two will as well.

• Thanks 1