DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

3 hours ago, Justin877 said:

I fell into a Youtube hole of the VICE documentaries.  I watched quite a few of The Wrestlers episodes .  Makes me want to watch more Fred Yehi matches and definitely check into some Stardom as well.  Rossy Ogawa is the same guy who was behind ARSION right?

yes

Watched the Lucha episode and as a fan of Fenix it was cool to see some of his background. The stoplight Lucha seemed bizarre at first, but it really makes perfect sense and fits in with any other street performers but is just so much cooler. Nice to see those guys getting better opportunities as well. 

I absolutely could have done without the host flopping around in the ring however. No more of that please.

The DDT episode was so much fun. It was a nice introduction to the company and Takagi's philosophy. Seeing the narrative of the Dino/Takagi match for company control play out as part of the show was great. The Ibushi segment was interesting especially seeing where he is now. Also the fact that I know Jim Cornette would have hated every second of it made me enjoy it even more. 

Edited by quackhell
  • Like 3

Yeah, Ibushi saying DDT got too big, then jumping to New Japan? Hypocritical much?

Oh btw the episodes tonight are Voodoo Wrestling (???) and Exoticos. CASSANDRO TIME FOOLS!!!

EDIT II: Did I miss Cassandro in the first 20 minutes that I missed? Thought I saw him in the previews before. No matter, watch this one because it's awesome and the Estrella through-the-ropes tope towards the end is fucking crushing. They really should have moved this ep up for Pride Month. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

The Congo episode is FUCKING. CRAZY.  The open alone is insane beyond the content of the rest. What I gained from it is (and this is my very biased, cynical perspective -- and I missed some of it) is 1. Carnies gonna carny and 2. Religion and poverty suck, especially when they're combined. Not that like that's new to anybody who's taken a small interest in history, but you know. I would be more pointed in my perspective but this isn't the place. 

• Like 4

The Congo was kayfabe on top of kayfabe x 10. Voodoo versus Jesus will kill the territory. What can possibly follow that feud?

The exotico episode should have included a straight male exotico to fully explain (or confuse) the story of exoticos.

Edited by ka-to
exotico
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Catching up and caught the Canada reservation tour episode and while it was depressing considering the plight of the First Nations the episode also had a lot of fun moments. The positive nature of the CWF crew and the inspirational aims were great. Also them touching on Kiyomiya's excursion was pretty cool. 

• 3 weeks later...

Viceland has officially renewed Dark Side of the Ring for a second season. Official announcement within the week.

Season 2 will be 10 episodes.

Meltzer made a comment in the last WON that expect a lot of topics that can somehow feature Cornette as they really liked him. The exact line was

I expect we’ll see more topics related to Jim Cornette, who was considered a big hit in several of the episodes

• Like 1

DSOTR and The Wrestlers make for a nice combo.  You watch DSOTR and see the shady shit that goes on in wrestling, then put on an episode of The Wrestlers for something a little more heart-warming.

Edited by Log
  • Like 2

I've been saying since the beginning of Viceland that they should get into wrestling. from what little I've seen of these documentaries they have been really good and sometimes even great. I've only seen two Darksides (Brody and Gino) and 3 Wrestlers (Evolve, MVP, Joshi) and those were really fun. The Wrestlers is definitely more lighthearted than Darkside of the Ring.

And although I know longer get Viceland in my current cable package I still hold out hope that they will air a weekly wrestling show, something gritty maybe Hoodslam, they've covered Hoodslam before. Is Hoodslam still a thing? you don't hear about them as much as you use to.

Will they do Jerry Lawler and the statutory rape charges? Snuka murder? Yakuza involvement in Puro? I can see them doing Road Warrior Hawk alcoholism, because they'd have Hawk and Cornette archive footage.

If they're doing Benoit murder/suicide, don't they pretty much have to do steroid trial/ Death of Eddy first, for context?

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Yakuza involvement in Puro?

This might be hard to get people to talk about. They could get Jake Adelstein as a English speaking Yakuza expert that's not afraid to talk in front of the camera, but I'm not sure who in the industry is willing to break ranks and speak on it. 

I also agree that Benoit deserves a twofer and that The Wrestlers should come back. If The Wrestlers doesn't come back that'll be a real shame. They could cover the rise of AEW among other things. 

This isn't much of a stretch, even though it probably doesn't deserve a full-on Dark Side ep, but doing something about IWA Mid-South and Ian's ass -- maybe even getting him to tell his side of the story -- would be intriguing. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

This might be hard to get people to talk about. They could get Jake Adelstein as a English speaking Yakuza expert that's not afraid to talk in front of the camera, but I'm not sure who in the industry is willing to break ranks and speak on it. 

I also agree that Benoit deserves a twofer and that The Wrestlers should come back. If The Wrestlers doesn't come back that'll be a real shame. They could cover the rise of AEW among other things. 

This isn't much of a stretch, even though it probably doesn't deserve a full-on Dark Side ep, but doing something about IWA Mid-South and Ian's ass -- maybe even getting him to tell his side of the story -- would be intriguing. 

Personally, the last thing I want on my tv is anything to do with Ian's ass. Just sayin'.

• Haha 2

Meltzer noted that the while known - the Bravo and Benoit docs aren't finished because they stopped filming them when the original season was cut from 10 to 6.

In fact

They haven’t done interviews for Benoit but the names they were hoping for were the first ones I would have picked, Sandra Toffoloni (the sister of Nancy Benoit who knows the case better than anyone), Chris Jericho (who has studied the case harder than any pro wrestler because he considered Chris Benoit his best friend in wrestling at one time), Chavo Guerrero Jr. (Who Benoit was close with, often traveled with, and who Benoit texted that weekend), Michael (Chris’ father) and David (Chris’ son from a first marriage) Benoit. 

Also - Dave says that Brawl for All is a virtual certainty as they have already talked to Bart Gunn

And yes they have discussed doing one on Snuka

On 7/23/2019 at 10:52 PM, RIPPA said:

Meltzer made a comment in the last WON that expect a lot of topics that can somehow feature Cornette as they really liked him. The exact line was

Dark Side of the Ring season 15 episode 7: How Jelly Janela and the outlaw mud show play rassler skater fucks caused a billionaire heir to go on a homicidal rampage.

Edited by bazzil
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

Am I missing something or is there a dark, seedy story behind the Brawl For All? Most of these stories are about stuff like murder and conspiracies and stuff like that.

The angle I could come up with is the injury rate and the fact that it was "an early days MMA type tournament" 

37 minutes ago, Casey said:

Am I missing something or is there a dark, seedy story behind the Brawl For All? Most of these stories are about stuff like murder and conspiracies and stuff like that.

I mean, it is a little seedy to put a bunch of untrained guys, who pretend to fight for a living, into actual shootfights.  It's pretty unseemly and maybe a look into how Vince views his employees (sorry, independent contractors) that he figured there's nothing wrong with having them legitimately fight each other.   There's a callousness regarding worker treatment and throughline of having people do something dangerous because they don't have a lot of choice in the matter or think their job may be on the line that runs from here to the death of Owen Hart.  There's a grossness of a rich guy taking advantage of the imbalance of money and power between him and his workers to pull some shit like this.  I mean, there are definitely dark angles to this.  Like these guys are nothing more than trained circus animals under Vince's big top and if he wants that bear to dance, then dammit pal he's gonna dance.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3