DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Missed half of the Lucha ep but the Women's one was seriously powerful. Highest recommendation. 

Next week: Japan, then Canada

I'm going to watch the replay of the Lucha one @ 1 AM.

BTW, just want to apologize for calling the Women's ep "Intergender" earlier -- that was a ghastly mistake, despite it seriously discussing actual intergender relationships. This is a WOMEN'S Episode.

EDIT: Also, I would say, a Human's Episode. You are a human, right? You should probably watch it. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

BTW, just want to apologize for calling the Women's ep "Intergender" earlier -- that was a ghastly mistake, despite it seriously discussing actual intergender relationships. This is a WOMEN'S Episode.

EDIT: Also, I would say, a Human's Episode. You are a human, right? You should probably watch it. 

I'm actually More Human Than Human. You didn't offend me, but thank you anyway. I'll take your advice and check it out. I'm off today and have plenty of free time.

• Like 2

BTW, the "Behind the Ring" Jake bit was great. For those that missed it, he 1. Said his wrestling name in French, 2. explained that he came up with the name 'DDT' by seeing how the substance was banned via USA Today (and as a side note said "Smoking pot helps, kinda evens things out" haha) 3. says that selling one time made his arm physically swell up because it got so deep in his head that it was insured. Then he complains about how that's real work and doing "six clotheslines in a match" isn't, like he was Cornette. Hard not to believe him after that anecdote though...

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Mexico episode is one I'm cool with watching on my own.  But reading the title/description that is one I'm waiting to watch with my wife.  I do love the progression of the episodes from the familiar to the not-so-familiar themes.  Can't wait to watch them.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 3:25 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Since these episodes were shot so long ago I don't know why they don't do some update stuff at the end when big events have occurred. For example, Kris Wolf has since announced her retirement and even gotten married to her partner, you think they could at least put up some text at the end giving everyone a heads-up. 

Or the fact that almost every non-Japanese women on the show is currently in NXT UK.   This was so long ago that they mentioned about Io (who they horribly said the name wrong) just left.  

The thing I couldn't figure from watching the Stardom episode last week was whether the owner was an asshole or just a strict person with a set way of things  

Edited by hammerva

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

a strict person with a set way of things  

I at first was leaning toward the former but the more I saw him I ended up leaning this way.  Not sure if it's the right method but it is paying off for him.

Brody and Liz/Savage have now aired in the UK and Montreal premiers this week. The Wrestlers starts mid-July. I wasn't massively impressed, but I've been reading ten pages about how brilliant the documentaries are for weeks. Nothing could have lived up to that.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Brody and Liz/Savage have now aired in the UK and Montreal premiers this week. The Wrestlers starts mid-July. I wasn't massively impressed, but I've been reading ten pages about how brilliant the documentaries are for weeks. Nothing could have lived up to that.

Savage/Liz doesn't much you don't already know.  Brody I thought was fascinating though.  I think the standouts will be the von Erichs and Gino episodes so hopefully those change your tune.  I would avoid the Montreal one though whenever you get it.

• Like 1

The Wrestlers is smoking the Dark Side docs. I'd buy a disc with all of both series on it, though.

FWIW I thought the Stardom owner was that particularly Japanese kind of business dick until I saw his lucha collection. But he is still probably that particularly Japanese kind of business dick, only a serious fanboy in his off-time. It's still probably better working for him than having Chigusa drill-sergeant you into a hospital or a mental ward. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I guess I enjoyed the deathmatch episode, though I cringed a whole fucking lot.

I haven't watched the two from last night yet.  I have SlingTV and their DVR service is ass.  I'm glad I double checked it...though I have it set to record "new episodes," it was only set to tape one of them.  I set it manually so I hope it worked out.

I had originally typed "tape" instead of "record" because I am old.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I guess I enjoyed the deathmatch episode, though I cringed a whole fucking lot.

I haven't watched the two from last night yet.  I have SlingTV and their DVR service is ass.  I'm glad I double checked it...though I have it set to record "new episodes," it was only set to tape one of them.  I set it manually so I hope it worked out.

I had originally typed "tape" instead of "record" because I am old.

I loved the deathmatch episode. It's been my favorite episode of The Wrestlers.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

The women's episode was really goddamn good.  Shit, I'd be tempted to get non-wrestling fans to see this it's that good.  And apparently there was a documentary on the fighting Cholitas that I'm curious about as well.  As for Youtube goodness there's not too much sadly.  But they deserve all the love they're getting.  And I knew about Mia's story to a point but didn't know Alison was in a similar situation as well.  That just sucks but am glad they all got through it.

The Mexican episode might be talked about as much but that was really cool too.  You had things like Lucha happening on the streets for pesos and a fascinating look at how Trump's wall could affect them.  Definitely recommend checking that out.

And hey, DDT is gonna be featured next week!  Awesome!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, quackhell said:

Women's episode was the best one thus far imo. Fascinating history of the fighting Cholitas and their and Mia Yim's inspiring stories. Great stuff.

I agree.  Best one so far.  Heart wrenching and awesome.  I just wish they'd gone a little bit into defining "cholo/cholita" and the history there as it relates to Bolivia.  I pieced it all together eventually (googling "cholita" and finding out it meant, essentially, half-breed" helped me put it all together) but knowing exactly what the deal was with the class system would have made for a better episode.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Then again, it inspired you to do the research which is pretty cool. But I agree that both episodes could have been full on their own yet seemed to be smashed together out of topical familiarity. 

I'm honestly very okay with that.  It was pretty neat to see how women deal with that from different parts of the world.  And they always tend to go with the "more familiar" name/place before switching to people that you might not have heard of.  I wouldn't have minded if they mentioned some places to look them up but they may have had to get clearance for it.

• Like 1

The Gino episode just aired in the UK yesterday. Jaw was seriously dropping at this one. So powerful. Obviously there is the "these two guys both said it wasn't murder, so that must be the case" issue, but it gives closure to his mother, which was a great ending. There were bits that suggested a full investigative series could be done just on Gino's death, including the inaccuracies in the identification of the body (them listing him as uncircumcised), but overall this was my favourite episode so far, alongside the Brody one.

I caught the Mexico episode of The Wrestlers last night.  Really good one.  It's sad to hear people speak of the US with such idealism and as this aspirational thing like we're still that shining city on the hill.  Funny, all I saw was some decent people who want to make a living and make things better for their families.  I didn't see rapists, dealers, murderers, or whatever else  "they" are supposedly "sending."

Edit: softened the political language (see Junior Admin in Training's comments below)

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

The DDT ep gave me a lot more respect for that organization. I was also amused by Dieno's finisher being the arm-twist part of the Rainmaker into a kiss. 

The Canada ep was indeed a little rough. What got me the most was realizing that Great Canada, land of the polite, had no problem dumping their Native population in worse circumstances than even the US did. 

• Like 1

I fell into a Youtube hole of the VICE documentaries.  I watched quite a few of The Wrestlers episodes .  Makes me want to watch more Fred Yehi matches and definitely check into some Stardom as well.  Rossy Ogawa is the same guy who was behind ARSION right?

Really liked the CWF Canada show last night.   Heard stories about those Canada trips to places that barely has roads much less highways and watching them go the areas was something.  So strange that a young lion from NOAH would have a learning excursion in 2016-2017 in places you have to fly or take a boat to in order to get there.  And from what I see on Twitter he isn't just some nobody young lion he is a current champion.   Also don't think I have seen used street signs are part of the ring.  I guess right the right padding it is fine.  

• Like 1