DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

I was never a big fan of MVP but I enjoyed seeing his background detailed and the exploration of a guy whose time as an active in ring worker is nearly up. I also dug the examination of old vs new philosophies even if it was more slanted in favor of my viewpoint and didn't represent the Cornette/Rip Rogers types of opinions very strongly.

On 5/31/2019 at 3:20 PM, cwoy2j said:

Doug Somers might be unemployed but he sure as heck wasn't talentless.

I am harsh and you are correct. Still, I can't  think of a single memorable thing Doug did without Playboy Buddy Rose close at hand. PBR could get a ***** out of me or DEAN!, that's how good he was. Somers to me, was the epitome of the guy that was just sort of meh. 

On 5/31/2019 at 11:49 AM, Curt McGirt said:

At least Doug will always have the AWA Midnight Rockers tag with Buddy Rose to his name. Talk about blood...

EDIT: 

This match reminds me that Shawn Michaels should be busted open early and often.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I finally caught the Montreal Screwjob episode.  Oof, what a waste of time.  Prichard is Prichard, taking up permanent residence in Vince's ass, and the show just lazily (I guess for dramatic purposes) furthered the dishonest narrative that Montreal was Bret's last night and that match was the only chance to get the belt off him.  If you haven't watched it yet, don't bother. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Stardom episode was interesting, though no GAIA Girls or anything. Next ep looks like death match stuff -- CZW and they showed Kasai so probably BJW too.

If they don't have the late, great Mr. Pogo carving people up with a scythe, then the hell with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They went up the back stairs at Korakuen in the last episode and apparently fans write on the wall on the way up like it's Abbey Road or something... and there was a huge-ass "W*ING" graffiti right there haha

They paint over it every few years. So the W*ING graffiti is recent. W*ING fans are forever.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the Stardom episode and in particular Mayu's story. I thought addressed the idol thing well and while I know it's a cultural thing I still cannot help feeling a little creeped out by the vast majority of the guys in the Stardom crowds.

Since these episodes were shot so long ago I don't know why they don't do some update stuff at the end when big events have occurred. For example, Kris Wolf has since announced her retirement and even gotten married to her partner, you think they could at least put up some text at the end giving everyone a heads-up. 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2019 at 6:51 AM, Technico Support said:

I finally caught the Montreal Screwjob episode.  Oof, what a waste of time.  Prichard is Prichard, taking up permanent residence in Vince's ass, and the show just lazily (I guess for dramatic purposes) furthered the dishonest narrative that Montreal was Bret's last night and that match was the only chance to get the belt off him.  If you haven't watched it yet, don't bother. 

I unfortunately just watched this one. Didn't mind Prichard that much as I don't mind someone standing in to offer the company perspective and occasionally offering insight as our resident Vince whisperer. I'll take a full hour of Prichard over Corny and Russo continuing their endless dick measuring contest. 

For as bad as Hebner feels about the screwjob, he sure has made a career doing recreations of it and selling t-shirts about it. Carny gonna carny.

Didn't care to hear Lex's 911 call in the first one, but I didn't turn these on expecting good taste. 

Watching the Brody one now. 

• Like 2

Ranking the episodes!

THE BEST

1. Brody

2. Von Erichs

3. Hernandez

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT

4. Savage and Liz

AVOID

5. Montreal

DIDN'T WATCH, HEARD IT WASN'T GOOD

6. Moolah

I caught the Joshi episode of The Wrestlers last night.  Pretty good, though I'd consider it the least of the three so far.  I never got into Joshi so YMMV.  Maybe I don't get the culture but I feel like I need the "idol" thing explained about six more times, slowly, maybe worded differently, because I don't get how it's a valid defense against how creepy the whole thing comes across at times.

Edited by Technico Support

Next week of The Wrestlers is apparently gonna be Intergender AND Mexico, back to back! And if you don't go out of your way to watch this week's Deathmatch episode, your loss...

EDIT: Oh yeah. The best part of the Deathmatch ep was when Damian asked Jun Kasai and his wife if they wanted their daughter to go into Joshi and both of them immediately and collectively said "NO" hahaha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

The best part for me was Danny Havoc having this great plan for the match with diagrams and shit and DJ Hyde fucks up (as usual) in getting the panes of glass for the finish spot so late in the game that Shawny had to remove one of his doors from his own place in order to get a good pane of glass.  Anyone who followed CZW for years knows how dedicated he is to the company and death matches.  Anyone who followed CZW for years knows the DEEJ fucking up the glass is not surprising and nobody believes that he repaid him for the new storm door.  

• Like 1

The Deathmatch episode was interesting even if I have left the deathmatch phase of my wrestling fandom behind quite a long time ago. I thought it did a decent job asking the question of why anyone would watch or participate in deathmatches and getting to know some of the motivations. Those shots of Jun Kasai's scarred up body though...yeesh.