DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is the Moolah one even worth checking out?

Eh, I think it's an interesting topic and worth checking out. Just don't expect to be blown away. It's definitely the weakest of the bunch.

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Eh, I think it's an interesting topic and worth checking out. Just don't expect to be blown away. It's definitely the weakest of the bunch.

Like, I don't want to hear people sugarcoating what kind of piece of shit she was. It seems like Cornette does in the trailer that aired during the Gino one.

Maybe I'll check it out after finishing night 4 of the BOSJ.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Like, I don't want to hear people sugarcoating what kind of piece of shit she was. It seems like Cornette does in the trailer that aired during the Gino one.

Cornette sort of does but there are plenty of people who don't pull punches. Wendy Richter, the Native American lady wrestler that lived with Moolah, Sweet Georgia Brown's family members, etc definitely tell it like it is.

• Thanks 1

In order for Lady Victoria and others to flat out admit that Moolah was a pimp to the wrestlers means that she was also a prostitute and as a wrestler that offends the shit out of them.   With good reason.  Now Victoria trying to portray it that she was fought back against the guy so she could have at least had that backup against her

I hope I am alive to see who is the "Save Sasha Banks" guy in the future like that goof in the Moolah show.  Did they admit he went to her funeral even though nobody knew who he was?  That was some creepy Mike Lano shit.  I can't think of a guy in this entire series more useless than him

One of their biggest arguments is that Moolah hindered this "women's revolution" when Richter was in the champ by winning the belt after WM 1.  That is a real stretch. From 1985-1987 the only people that could even contend with her was Moolah girls just as old.    Maybe they could do something with Velvet McIntyre but doubt it.  Until Rockin Robin and Sherri Martel it would have been a black hole regardless of who the champ was

The only thing I got from it was that I think the reaction to the Moolah battle royal at WM was pretty legit.

56 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Did they admit he went to her funeral even though nobody knew who he was? 

Green Lantern Fan?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm watching it right now and I think it's fascinating, and touches on some things that haven't been yet. 

1. It underlines, if Richter's story is right, that Vince buried the women's division to keep the money in his pocket, until he couldn't ignore it any more/was just sexist

2. It underlines the oppression of women from a sociological perspective in this industry just like all other industries, which needs to be harped on

3. It underlines that wrestlers are marks for themselves and the job. Bigtime. And many of them will ignore ANY amount of abuse to protect the business. 

Man, this one is fucked up.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hammerva said:

One of their biggest arguments is that Moolah hindered this "women's revolution" when Richter was in the champ by winning the belt after WM 1.  That is a real stretch. From 1985-1987 the only people that could even contend with her was Moolah girls just as old.    Maybe they could do something with Velvet McIntyre but doubt it.  Until Rockin Robin and Sherri Martel it would have been a black hole regardless of who the champ was

Well, even with that, the big thing to keep in mind for this to make some sense:

1) Wendi Richter was super-over in her time. Maybe it was just "she's Cyndi Lauper's friend" who was over, but she was a big deal. Having a woman who'd be as over as Hogan was would have absolutely helped the women (witness how, on the lesser scale- Sable and Chyna were at least able to answer Hogan/Rock in the Attitude Era, and that at least made it clear "wait, it's possible for women to be really, really over" and help set the stage for women's wrestling in the 21st century.)  By contrast...Moolah was too old, too weak in the ring, and the fact it was WWF in the 1980s meant she didn't have a prayer of being a big star in that climate (little kids could cheer the pretty girl who hangs out with the big rock star easily. They couldn't cheer their grandmother in her one-piece swimsuit she only breaks out on the family trip to the beach with some weird dollar sign glasses.) 

2) Even if we assume that ultimately, Wendi Richter's situation was inconsequential due to the lack of solid talent to put her against, that just makes it surprising we didn't get more info about the women's tag team situation in 1988. The Jumping Bomb Angels/Glamour Girls tag title feud, and the subsequent way that Moolah shut down the feud and forced WWF to stop booking the Jumping Bomb Angels, is FAR more damning about the "Moolah hindered the women's revolution" since the Jumping Bomb Angels also got over, with a much more interesting style at the time, and would have introduced WWF fans into joshi stars in the 1980s/1990s (which would have absolutely fixed the "they didn't have the women's talent in the 1980s to be successful.") It wouldn't have instantly changed things, but it could have at least kept the women's division valid enough, and got Japanese women's talent over enough, that when Alundra Blayze debuted it would have changed the game.

• Like 1

Good point, I didn't know about Moolah shutting them down. THAT underlines that instead of Vince shutting down the division, it was Moolah herself, out of jealousy. Now why Vince would let her do that and be taking money out of his pocket, I'm clueless.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hammerva said:

In order for Lady Victoria and others to flat out admit that Moolah was a pimp to the wrestlers means that she was also a prostitute and as a wrestler that offends the shit out of them.   With good reason.  Now Victoria trying to portray it that she was fought back against the guy so she could have at least had that backup against he

Well it should offend them as a person and not just as a wrestler but I get where she's coming from. But it sounded like she was defending Moolah. She did plenty of other shitty things to Lady Victoria without being a literal pimp. I mean she did try to set up some sort of sex for money arrangement with LV and some promoter and then kicked her out of the house when it didn't happen and LV couldn't pay rent. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Good point, I didn't know about Moolah shutting them down. THAT underlines that instead of Vince shutting down the division, it was Moolah herself, out of jealousy. Now why Vince would let her do that and be taking money out of his pocket, I'm clueless.

That's one of those stories we don't really know if it's true or not.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, The Great ML said:

The one that they should have done was the murder of Dino Bravo. That never gets talked about...

They started a Dino Bravo episode that's 75% done. It will likely be the first episode of Season 2.

• Like 3

It was really weird to see them talk about a promotion that is so damn different now.   I mean you know that tapings were a long time ago when you see FLOSLAM banners all over the place.

Funny listening to Fred Yehi talking about how most of the people in front row  he saw at shows in his local area  were fat white people.  

• Like 1

I thought it was a little light weight and bare bones, but I also realize it is aimed at a non-wrestling fan audience. As such I think it was a decent introduction to the indy scene. I liked a lot of little things like how Gabe's mom was so clued into and understood the business and the dilemma of Ethan Page being stuck in the spot of the midcard mechanic that boosts the young guys but stays in the same spot. Unfortunately as a big fan of Darby Allin I thought the whole Jackass-lite segment with him came off as very lame. Really looking forward to the other episodes exploring parts of the world and product I have never been exposed to before.

New The Wrestlers was well worth watching. They followed MVP around Florida as he talked about his life and career, working for the indies. They meet up with Shane Strickland and Sami Callahan too periodically to introduce the new breed. MVP comes across as a really good dude and I'm sure he'll have a career as a trainer after he retires shortly (if he hasn't already). And shit, you need to see his house...

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 3:00 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I'm watching it right now and I think it's fascinating, and touches on some things that haven't been yet. 

1. It underlines, if Richter's story is right, that Vince buried the women's division to keep the money in his pocket, until he couldn't ignore it any more/was just sexist

2. It underlines the oppression of women from a sociological perspective in this industry just like all other industries, which needs to be harped on

3. It underlines that wrestlers are marks for themselves and the job. Bigtime. And many of them will ignore ANY amount of abuse to protect the business. 

Man, this one is fucked up.

The reality of the business has always been that for every level-headed part-timer living the dream on a small scale on the indies like our own Marty Sugar and Mike Sweetser there are 1000 delusional marks for themselves that will do things that no human being should be asked to do just to think that they are in the spotlight.  Somewhere on the net is an absolutely cruel and horrible prank phone call made to Doug Somers (and for me to decry prank phone calls is saying something as I was the Jerky Boys before the Jerky Boys were a thing), anyway two fans pretending to be promoters called poor, unemployed talentless Doug Somers up under the pretense of booking him for a show to earn $5K (I think it was), as the conversation progressed it went from him having to put their guy over, (which he of course had no problem with), to a gradually awful list of stipulations he would have to endure to get his money, ending with performing fellatio on the winner of the match. 

Somers was Randy the fucking Ram; you could hear the man's heart breaking as he agreed to everything that these vicious fucks were suggesting, just a horrible prank.

• Sad 3

Holy shit that's awful.  Hopefully it was known who did the prank call and they got called out for it.

As for this episode I really liked it.  I always liked MVP but have become a big fan of him outside the ring.  Following his Twitter he seems like a really cool dude to hang with with some similar interests (Lebowski, Godzilla, etc.)  So seeing him throughout it while they focused on Strickland and Sami was pretty cool.  I am really looking forward to what appears to be an episode on Joshi wrestling.

You would like to think that the majority of wrestling fans called these two bastards out and made them pay for their awfulness. You would like to think that because you probably only frequent this  board and maybe Wrestling Classics so that you are used to dealing with (for the most part), thoughtful, intelligent people who would never consider doing something so awful. However, there's a much bigger pond out there filled with wrestling"fans" that are like piranha, they wait for something to show weakness and then swarm in to attack. I assure you that for every rational, sane person that was offended by this prank there were 100 others doing the Beavis and Butthead laugh and wishing that they had thought of it themselves.

There are lots of cool people that are wrestling fans, I have forged life-long friendships with some, sadly, there are also thousands of vile pieces of shit that hang out under the banner of being "fans". They can range from the well-meaning but irritating goofs like GLF and Dr. Mike Lano to the vicious and potentially dangerous, and sadly, I think there are a lot more of them than there are of us. Check out the reaction to blood at the next indy show that you attend and you'll see what I mean.

• Sad 1