DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Viceland will also premiere The Wrestlers on May 22 at 10:00 pm EST. The show will be hosted by musician and longtime wrestling fan Damian Abraham. The show is going to go into the subcultures of professional wrestling around the world, from Lucha Libre in Mexico to the woman’s wrestling scene in Japan. You can check out the full announcement below:

Following the much buzzed about wrestling docu-series DARK SIDE OF THE RING, which is posting some of the network’s biggest ratings to date), VICELAND premieres THE WRESTLERS on May 22 at 10pm ET. Hosted by hardcore musician and life-long wrestling fan Damian Abraham (lead singer for the Canadian punk band F**ked Up), the series goes beyond the world of mainstream professional wrestling to dive into the vibrant, fascinating and bizarre subcultures in the wrestling universe around the world. From Lucha Libre in Mexico to the women’s wrestling scene in Japan to “voodoo wrestling” in Congo and countless points between.

In addition, the network will release special “Extended Cuts” of DARK SIDE OF THE RING beginning May 22 at 9pm ET with never-before-seen footage from the compelling tales of professional wrestling’s golden age.

THE WRESTLERS is a Vice Studio Canada production and is produced and directed by Nathan Drillot and Jeff Petry. Damian Abraham co-produces. Chris Grosso is executive producer for VICELAND

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can't even remember the last time I heard Fucked Up. That's pretty cool.

You're doing yourself a disservice! Dose Your Dreams was one of my favorites from last year.

Holy shit I need another half hour of this Gino Hernandez show.  This was easily the best one and I doubt that the Moolah one will be close to as good.   The story of John Royal and whether he was the actual killer and iIF he was that he would be so ballsy that he would pay for Gino's murder and then performed this crazy eulogy.   Then the anonymous drug dealer from the 80's who does claim it was a drug overdose.  And then it is slightly possible that he may have faked his own death.  What the fuck ? .  I don't think anything was really solved to the wrestling fan but if Gino's mother got some closure then good for her

I will say this.   We will NEVER NEVER NEVER get to the point where if there is a major feud in wrestling and one of the person in the feud dies under suspicious ways that the other person will be accused of the murder like Chris Adams was.  Maybe it was just a few people but fuck it was enough to make some noise.  And I believe he wasn't even in the country in storyline sense.  Just tells how hot World Class was still in 1986 and how much fans still believed in Dallas.   

Also does anyone know if that Villans of the Ring  or something like that 1984 show that they showed clips of is out anywhere.  That looks really interesting

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 4

I know it has been debunked, but man that doc did no favors in making me not believe Gino's dad really was Paul Boesch.  That it was never addressed (and has always been the other rumor surrounding him) just set off some alarms.

Really good doc, I won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.  I do think the conclusion drawn is probably the right one.

Haven't watched the Gino one yet, but after the Von Erics and Brody episodes, I'm feeling Montreal really didn't belong in this. I get why they'd do it, such a pivotal moment in wrestling and a really fascinating story, but it pales in comparison so badly against these actual tragedies.

I mean, the Von Eric story is damn near Shakespearean

• Like 1

The Montreal and Savage/Elizabeth episodes really don't belong in a series about the "dark side" of wrestling.

Apparently the "jumping off point" for next week's Moolah episode is the backlash from internet fans about  WWE naming that battle royale after her, and then it gets into her history and why people were pissed.

• Like 1

i don't know if I would include Savage/Elizabeth one because the "dark" part of it really only started when she was with Luger.  Unless you consider someone being over protective to his wife to the point of insane paranoia "dark".     Would have replaced it with Benoit. 

I kind of see the Montreal one because it is exposes the under-handed tricks that owners/promoters did in the business that most people who watch this series probably didn't know about.  

Edited by hammerva

14 minutes ago, hammerva said:

i don't know if I would include Savage/Elizabeth one because the "dark" part of it really only started when she was with Luger.  Unless you consider someone being over protective to his wife to the point of insane paranoia "dark".

Abusive relationships are pretty fucking dark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And yeah this was a GREAT episode. It's coming on again in a couple minutes. Matt's article made me remember that there was a lady that started taping literally all TV from the Iran Hostage Crisis onward until she passed away, with multiple VCRs/Betamaxes running every day. I wonder if she caught any wrestling? 

Those tapes are in the process of conversion btw

The Moolah episode was pretty bad and confusing. They used footage from Lipstick and Dynamite and if I remember right wasn't there former members of Moolah's stable who talked about all of the sleazy things she made them do?

2 hours ago, happjack said:

The Moolah episode was pretty bad and confusing. They used footage from Lipstick and Dynamite and if I remember right wasn't there former members of Moolah's stable who talked about all of the sleazy things she made them do?

The confusing part was at the end. There were women who spent the entire documentary trashing her and talking about how awful she was and then at the end they were defending  her place in history, the Native American lady wrestler (can't remember her name) in particular. She told a story about how after she hurt her neck and couldn't wrestle, Moolah tried to get her to sleep with a promoter for money and when she wouldn't do it, Moolah kicked her out of the house with only $20 to her name. Spent most of the doc trashing Moolah and then at the end went on a tirade about how people should still remember Moolah and that to call Moolah a pimp was to call her (the Native American wrestler) a whore. I was sitting there wondering what the fuck I was hearing.

Edited by cwoy2j

Agreed. I feel like they left a lot of meat on the bone with the Moolah episode.

Contrast that with the Gino one. I thought that was fantastic and that they did a great job.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1