DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

So is Bret claiming that he didn't have sex with Sunny.  That seems a bit far fetched given his reputation and unfortunately Sunny's reputation at that time.   I loved Bret comparing his bathroom brawl with Shawn in Hartford "like two prostitutes fighting in the street".  

For the people who don't normally follow wrestling I am sure this is a rather fascinating story.  Except for Corrnette and Russo having a pissing contest about who gave Vince the idea for the finish it was nothing we haven't heard a million times.   

The biggest work in this whole thing was Scott Hall claiming that the Montreal Screwjob is a work.  For fuck sake his best friend is Shawn Michaels. 

The idea of Vince taking a huge off of his feet back bump from an uppercut seems like complete bullshit

On 4/7/2019 at 12:19 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Flair has claimed it in a few settings... but Flair was working in Charleston, West Virginia the night that Brody was murdered.

I think that was pretty much the basis of the "Ric Flair was there" meme.

I think Abby was full of shit. I basically lost any respect for him after it turned out he was working with fucking Hep C, blading, and bleeding buckets.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

So is Bret claiming that he didn't have sex with Sunny.  That seems a bit far fetched given his reputation and unfortunately Sunny's reputation at that time.   I loved Bret comparing his bathroom brawl with Shawn in Hartford "like two prostitutes fighting in the street".  

For the people who don't normally follow wrestling I am sure this is a rather fascinating story.  Except for Corrnette and Russo having a pissing contest about who gave Vince the idea for the finish it was nothing we haven't heard a million times.   

The biggest work in this whole thing was Scott Hall claiming that the Montreal Screwjob is a work.  For fuck sake his best friend is Shawn Michaels. 

The idea of Vince taking a huge off of his feet back bump from an uppercut seems like complete bullshit

Scott Hall even being on this was a waste of time. He had nothing to offer. I don't want hear from someone that wasn't there. That'd be like Ric Flair talking about Brody's death.

I'd take Cornette's word over Russo, but it's wrestling. Everybody is a carny. 

• Like 2

Well, that was less depressing than the last one. At least Cornette being Cornette provided some entertainment. And yeah the "two prostitutes fighting in the street" bit was hilarious. 

The only thing this really underlined was that Earl Hebner deserves a hug if anybody ever sees him because that is some rough shit to get pushed into.

• Like 3

Bret has always denied sleeping with Sunny, fwiw.

Yeah, this was pretty good, but other than Cornette claiming credit for the idea, there wasn't really anything new. I imagine for casual and non-fans, it was more interesting, but also lacking in context at places.

Two of these down (I haven't watch the Brody doc yet) and I could really live without the little recreation things.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bret has always denied sleeping with Sunny, fwiw.

Yeah, this was pretty good, but other than Cornette claiming credit for the idea, there wasn't really anything new. I imagine for casual and non-fans, it was more interesting, but also lacking in context at places.

Two of these down (I haven't watch the Brody doc yet) and I could really live without the little recreation things.

I could also do without re-enactments. It's the main reason I don't watch Investigation Discovery more often. Just about every show on that channel has re-enactments. I don't want to see re-enactments of murders, just give me the documentary portion.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1

Oh, the one thing that I think often gets glossed over/misrepresented about Montreal is when they act like just the screw job suddenly made fans more interested in what was happening backstage, when I damn sure remember it being an absolute frenzy in the "internet wrestling community" pretty much that entire year. The locker room fight that scuttled the KOTR match, for instance, was the most talked about thing in wrestling for weeks.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

Shawn and Bret were both played by guys who work the random smaller Canadian feds (especially Superkick'D which really is the most infuriating indie fed name ever)

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, nate said:

I wonder if they got Jocephus for that "walk to the ring" intro.

For the record - it was indeed Jocephus on the Brody doc

• Thanks 3

I went ahead and watched the Brody doc (which actually, I had already watched but I was trashed and didn't remember a damn thing). Spoilers for those who want to watch it when it airs:

Spoiler

Abby lying to cover his ass, even after all these years, is pretty fucking low. Brody's son totally has his father's eyes, it's almost creepy. And Tony is a great artist. 

This was probably the best of the three so far.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

well it is good thing they taped this years ago.  Unless his hair grows really fast.

It's been at least a year ago for the Brody one. It was being shown last year at places.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:10 PM, hammerva said:

I kind of believe Bret about not banging Sunny. Sunny is pretty open about who she had sex with (she's very explicit when she talks about what she did with Shawn) and even she denies it. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:04 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Well, that was less depressing than the last one. At least Cornette being Cornette provided some entertainment. And yeah the "two prostitutes fighting in the street" bit was hilarious. 

The only thing this really underlined was that Earl Hebner deserves a hug if anybody ever sees him because that is some rough shit to get pushed into.

Sam Roberts interviewed the guys who did the documentaries and they announced Earl thought they had set up the interview as a cover story to murder him. Poor bastard's been through it

• Sad 4

Rewatching Montreal, and Jesus, Hall's "it's a work" argument comes off even dumber than I realized. I knew when he was taking about Bret writing "WCW" that it didn't actually air, but after seeing the clip of Bret spitting in Vince's face so many times, I forgot it wasn't the broadcast angles at all. You see Bret spit in the background, and later you can catch a bit of Vince wiping it off, but the actual impact and the close-up of Vince with spittle that Hall used to prove his point both aren't there either.

I wonder if Scott really believes it was a work (I find it hard to believe it never came up talking to Shawn and Hunter over the last 2 decades) or if Vice just wanted someone to present the "it's a work!" viewpoint and Scott was available.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

(I find it hard to believe it never came up talking to Shawn and Hunter over the last 2 decades)

His memories of the last two decades are probably not all that clear, but I think he knows the truth and is just working and wants to present it that way to keep the legend going.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Do you ever have someone in your friend group that seems to believe in some wild conspiracy theory, one that's utterly implausible, but it's harmless and it makes you laugh inside when they go on tangents about this silly thing yet again?

That's how I imagine Hall's friends treat him with the Montreal theory he has.

So I just watched the Brody doc, and I wonder if it was intentional when showing the footage of the AJPW tribute show to use that lingering shot of Snuka. Maybe whoever was responsible for the editing of the doc wanted to drive a point home about another murder that went unpunished? Probably coincidental, but it's the very first thing that jumped into my head when I saw him.

Also, I'm on board with everyone that is saying Abdullah is full of shit and Atlas and Mantell are the truthspeakers there. What a fucked situation.

• Like 2

I actually believe Abdullah is the one being truthful about not being at the meeting. The only person who has claimed Abdullah called for and was at the meeting is Atlas. Dutch Mantell's original account mentions who was at the meeting and Abdullah is not one of them. As far as I know, Abdullah had never been asked about the meeting before, but says he wasn't there when finally asked. 

It does not make sense to me, considering Abdullah's relationship with the parties involved, that he would be calling for a meeting that results in going to the authorities. And the timeline that is usually given for the meeting has it going on and lasting thoughout the afternoon.

However, Abdullah and Barbara Goodish both state that they saw each other at the airport. She had taken the first flight available to her and would have most likely have been arriving around very late morning or at the latest by early afternoon. If she saw Abdullah at the airport, then that means Abdullah had already checked in for his flight and was inside the gate area. If you know the layout for the airport here in Puerto Rico, the only way a domestic arrival would have been able to come across a departing passenger is if both are around the gate area (departures are on the second level, arrivals are on the first level, arrivals can't exit through the second level and departures can't go in through the first level).

The timelines don't really match up, you can't place Abdullah at both places at the same time. So, if you think Abdullah is lying about the meeting, then you're indirectly calling into question Barbara Goodish's account of her arrival. If there's anyone whose word I'd take at complete face value about the events, it would be hers.

There's also things about Atlas' account that are verifiably wrong (there's one thing in particular that with a quick check shows he's either misremembeting or flat out lying for story's sake) and some other things that you can find other sources that throw doubt on some of his claims. I've always said that you can't take anyone's account at face value, there's always a mix of truth and self serving BS.

Thst said, the thing to remember is that no matter what really occured,  it doesn't change the horrible result of what happened. A man died due to a senseless and violent act. You can't condone that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2019 at 8:41 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cornette and Russo need to get it over with already and run off to Idaho to raise sheep together.

It's like they are building up to some sort of payoff that is never going to happen.

• Like 1