DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but according to the Observer, Viceland will be airing wrestling documentaries beginning in April.

The Viceland documentaries on pro wrestling will be airing every Wednesday from 4/10 to 5/15 at 9 p.m.  The schedule is:

• 4/10:  Randy Savage & Elizabeth
  • 4/17:  Bret Hart and Montreal
  • 4/24:  Bruiser Brody
  • 5/1:  Kevin Von Erich and the Von Erich family
  • 5/8:  Gino Hernandez
  • 5/15:  Fabulous Moolah
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Bret Hart and Montreal?  Ugh..  I'd just rather hear about Stampede or something. 

It is wrestling history for better or worse and I could Viceland running it with most viewers not knowing about/caring about wrestling.  I am fascinated though by the Brody and Gino ones so I'll have to see how those are.

The Viceland Documentaries are part of a series called "Dark Side of Wrestling" hence the subject matters selected

They originally planned on doing 10 and Benoit was going to be one of the topics

And the Bret Hart one is technically "Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels" but since it includes Montreal I guess they started marketing it differently

• Like 1

They interviewed Abdullah, wow.  I think it's the first time I've seen him talk. And Tony Atlas's story sounds like bullshit trying to put himself over.

Edited by Ace

2 hours ago, Ace said:

They interviewed Abdullah, wow.  I think it's the first time I've seen him talk. And Tony Atlas's story sounds like bullshit trying to put himself over.

I actually thought Abdullah was the one full of it. At least Dutch corroborated that there was an actual meeting. 

I think Atlas is still legit fucked up over it still. If you’ve ever witnessed a murder firsthand, you’re always gonna be frazzled recounting it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MADCAP said:

I actually thought Abdullah was the one full of it. At least Dutch corroborated that there was an actual meeting. 

I think Atlas is still legit fucked up over it still. If you’ve ever witnessed a murder firsthand, you’re always gonna be frazzled recounting it. 

I've seen Atlas talk about it in a couple of shoots and I agree, every time he talks about it, it seems like it's the only thing he's not bullshitting about and that he's legit fucked up over. Every other story he tells reeks of bullshit but to me it he seems like he's shooting straight when talking about the Brody murder.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ace said:

watching this right now, and I know Abdullah had a shoot interview (which I didn't see), but seeing him just walking like any other dude within the first 5 minutes is kinda surreal. Also love to see Chicky Starr getting some archival footage love.

Edited by Cobra Commander

6 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'm dismayed that US promoter's kept up relations with the Colon's after that obvious premeditated murder and cover up. Puerto Rico is/was a hot territory - but the money down there couldn't have been THAT great. 

I agree that in hindsight it's disappointing, but it's hardly surprising. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'm dismayed that US promoter's kept up relations with the Colon's after that obvious premeditated murder and cover up. Puerto Rico is/was a hot territory - but the money down there couldn't have been THAT great. 

how much longer did Monsoon own a percentage of WWC anyways? How much did the WWF or WCW really work with WWC until Colon showed up at the 1993 Rumble? Neither company actually went to Puerto Rico for years or really sent people to work there, right?

Also the various territories pretty much being done by 1988 limited how much those companies could do in Puerto Rico. So the people that Brody had burned bridges with in the years before that weren't in business. The American based talent probably had quite a few people that would never work WWC after that.

The WWF actually hooked up with IWA Puerto Rico (because Quinones is Gorilla Monsoon's son) for a few years from 1999 to 2001. After that, the situation changed with Carlito going in with the WWE.

I'm happy there were people with enough of a clue working the documentary that didn't put the Ric Flair lie about being there when Brody was murdered into the documentary

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

I'm happy there were people with enough of a clue working the documentary that didn't put the Ric Flair lie about being there when Brody was murdered into the documentary

???!!! Never heard or seen that before. Where did it come from?

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

to complement the Vice doc, top 5 Brody matches?

Good luck with that. He's probably the only wrestler I've ever seen that can have a bad match with Nick Bockwinkel.

There's the really good Mongolian Stomper match from Houston. Some of his 77 heel stuff is a lot of fun. People were high on Funks vs Brody/Snuka and the Abby World Class match but 2011 was forever ago.

Look, I can probably suggest twenty amazing Invader 1 performances if that helps? 

This is good for a laugh at least, since Mil refuses to sell anything too?

Edited by Matt D

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Good luck with that. He's probably the only wrestler I've ever seen that can have a bad match with Nick Bockwinkel.

There's the really good Mongolian Stomper match from Houston. Some of his 77 heel stuff is a lot of fun. People were high on Funks vs Brody/Snuka and the Abby World Class match but 2011 was forever ago.

Look, I can probably suggest twenty amazing Invader 1 performances if that helps? 

This is good for a laugh at least, since Mil refuses to sell anything too?

I was expecting you to say the Luger match. ,) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I mean, who knows, but I've read the Flair book and watched that long-ass shoot interview he did and he certainly never claimed it then.  

For the record, Ric Flair claimed "I was in Puerto Rico when he was stabbed" and "I was on the card" here with RF (if that's not RF, that's the best fucking RF impersonation ever). It's bullshit. He wasn't there.

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

For the record, Ric Flair claimed "I was in Puerto Rico when he was stabbed" and "I was on the card" here with RF (if that's not RF, that's the best fucking RF impersonation ever). It's bullshit. He wasn't there.

He could have been there... cocaine is a hell of a drug!