DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

TA's Twitter bio says: "Currently Senior Quality and Safety Manager for MasTec Network Solutions Atlantic Market"

MasTec Network Solutions' site says

So, in a sense, he's still working a territory to this day

Without reading that block of text, I remember the story was he made a bunch of money having to do with cell phone towers. Whether that's buying rural property and selling the land to a phone company or being a middle man, I don't know for sure (it's also 0630 and I just woke up).

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Without reading that block of text, I remember the story was he made a bunch of money having to do with cell phone towers. Whether that's buying rural property and selling the land to a phone company or being a middle man, I don't know for sure (it's also 0630 and I just woke up).

“Hi, I’m an 80s TV star from your area, so you want to sell me your property for a cell phone tower” might have worked once or twice

Edited by Cobra Commander

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Thanks for the translation!  That block of text is useless corporate marketing gobbledygook.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Especially in rural Carolina. 

Around here, one pasttime of rural Missourians who live next to highways is selling space for billboards. So I’d imagine that Harley Race could have gotten a few deals done in my area similar to TA and cell phone towers

Not mentioning the Tully feud is definitely the biggest negative on the show.   Maybe I am wrong but the Nikita feud was the feud that was needed to get to the Tully feud.  After that feud (that he won unlike the Nikita one) that was when he was world title ready.   Even a passing mention giving that he married a Blanchard would have sufficed I think.   But overall very good.   Bill Watts early ideas for TA is pretty funny.   Punk rock Magnum TA sounds like a disaster

I was disappointed they didn't bring up the Greatest Cage Match of All Time too but really they only had so much space and you can't get into every angle he was a part of. Like the Mr. Wrestling II deal, for example. 

I have no idea why a Jimmy Jam Garvin angle would have done big business though, him saying "we were about to blow the territory apart" is laughable. Placeholder at best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, Garvin definitely oversold the importance of TA running into him before moving on to Flair.  

I feel like if you didn't know what the stated topic of the episode was, you'd think it was just about the Magnum-Nikita feud.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was disappointed they didn't bring up the Greatest Cage Match of All Time too but really they only had so much space and you can't get into every angle he was a part of. Like the Mr. Wrestling II deal, for example. 

I have no idea why a Jimmy Jam Garvin angle would have done big business though, him saying "we were about to blow the territory apart" is laughable. Placeholder at best.

If my memory serves, it was indeed intended to be placeholder to give Maggie May something to do until Starrcade where he’d have another I Quit with Nikita.

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Um... the Tully feud was before the Nikita feud.  

Huh well that explains it.  I always thought was in the summer of 85.   But now I remember that it was the main feud of the Bash and the first one was in 86 🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It would have just been new wave so imagine Terry Allen wearing skinny ties and wraparound shades.

“Dad, they’re calling it the second British Invasion”

”Okay, where’s Adrian Street working?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Imagining Magnum wearing what I always called “Eddie Gilbert sunglasses”, the new wave ones with the triangle over one eye. 

And a garbage bag poncho like the Nasties in Memphis and the AWA.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Let's not forget that Magnum TA fans were likely running down punks in pickup trucks yelling "DEEEEEEVOOOOOOO" back in them days. 

Who could forget when Eddie Gilbert buried Bill Watts under the Devo Energy Dome flag

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah definitely. My mental response was "that's a lot of makeup". 

I never knew about the Buzz story (he should have broken his legs after getting "trained") or Nikita being the guy they turned to after the accident. Hell I didn't know he was the bona-fide next champ; I thought it was a David Von Erich situation where he was bound for it but didn't know he was unofficially-officially crowned already. 

The one thing I wondered about that they didn't clear up was what he does for a living these days that he's apparently pretty successful at. 

Taker has told a very similar story about getting conned by Buzz Sawyer

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

a Magnum TA vs Undertaker match has some potential. TA does the Belly to Belly but Taker sits up and TA has to dig deep to find something to put the Undertaker down

And in the wings, Buzz Sawyer sits back and counts his money. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

a Magnum TA vs Undertaker match has some potential. TA does the Belly to Belly but Taker sits up and TA has to dig deep to find something to put the Undertaker down

Heel turn by TA as he smashes Undertaker in the lower back with the urn, then holds it against Taker’s back and belly-to-bellies him onto the urn. Taker suffers lower back pain so severe that he can’t do the zombie sit up.

8 hours ago, zendragon said:

Taker has told a very similar story about getting conned by Buzz Sawyer

With amount of Buzz stories that everyone has heard on and off the record, when is Buzz going to get his own Dark Side ep?

As for the (Jimmy) Garvin stuff, yeah it's very much hyperbole but Jimmy was pretty much a litmus test guy and done good work at multiple territories at that point. If you watch JCP around the time he came in, he got a ton of TV time. They were clearly setting him up for something.

On another note, does Magnum's ex-wife win the most naïve wrestling WAG in the history of time? This begs the question what would have happened if it was a Teddy Pendergrass situation where there was someone in the passenger side along with him at the time of the accident? Speaking as someone who was born a little too late after Teddy's musical prime/height of his recording career but old enough to understand the context of his influence on black R&B music, I realize for some (not all) that small detail changed the way how people viewed Teddy within the black community. It was like the consequences of the accident (Teddy never being able to walk again) became secondary. You had the infidelity factor. You also had people call his masculinity into question because the rumor that persisted for years was the occupant in the passenger seat was a transgender woman. It's one of awful gossip mongering things that has went on for decades.

It's hard to see the semi happy ending you had here that can be tied into a nice little bow happening if the serial cheater thing comes to light. In this particular episode, it's very much of an albatross cause it makes his (ex) wife look incredibly stupid and look like an even bigger fool than when Buzz ran that pyramid scheme/multi level marketing routine on Magnum and his folks. Yeah, he lost his career but man he's a real life superhero and inspiration.

• Like 1