DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

I almost forgot how young Chris was; such a grizzled vet at such a young age and so very, very good. I’m glad the episode was so heavy in Chris’ favour, his memory deserves that level of love and respect. Tammy’s story is just so depressing and inevitable. She was such a natural but such a spectacular fuck up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

There is no doubt that if Candido was alive today he would be a really big deal in the indies   Guys like Ricky Morton are still more than capable of having strong matches and Chris is probably 20 years younger.    Can you imagine what a Candido vs Orange Cassidy match would be.   I know that GCW would have booked Candido vs Joey Janela at one point.

Candido would've been a cornerstone of the 2019 NWA relaunch for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

There is no doubt that if Candido was alive today he would be a really big deal in the indies   Guys like Ricky Morton are still more than capable of having strong matches and Chris is probably 20 years younger.    Can you imagine what a Candido vs Orange Cassidy match would be.   I know that GCW would have booked Candido vs Joey Janela at one point.

He was doing that a bit in IWA Mid South around '04-'05. He had some really fun stuff there. He was working with the younger guys there (most of which are a who's who of today's wrestling stars) and really looked great.

I remember him working one match with his ass hanging out almost the entire time. I think it may have been a tag with him and someone against Colt and Punk, but it may have also been a four-way, not sure. But, I think it was a thing where he did the Flair spot where he gets his trunks pulled down, but he never bothers to pull them back up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Log said:

He was doing that a bit in IWA Mid South around '04-'05. He had some really fun stuff there. He was working with the younger guys there (most of which are a who's who of today's wrestling stars) and really looked great.

I remember him working one match with his ass hanging out almost the entire time. I think it may have been a tag with him and someone against Colt and Punk, but it may have also been a four-way, not sure. But, I think it was a thing where he did the Flair spot where he gets his trunks pulled down, but he never bothers to pull them back up.

I think it was a Comedy 8 man Tag on a IWA-MS King of Strong Style 1 Night Tournament. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

I think it was a Comedy 8 man Tag on a IWA-MS King of Strong Style 1 Night Tournament. 

That is the one I'm thinking of! After I posted, I remembered that it was a non-tourney match on a tourney show, but thought it might be a TPI. Thank you!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hammerva said:

The bad thing is that they didn't even show the worst thing that Paul Heyman did concerning Chris Candido and Sunny during ECW in my opinion

I’m drawing a blank. What was it?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was playing Zelda while watching this. Did they skip over them being in WCW? 

There wasn't any real discussion of them being in WCW. It went from ECW to then kinda going into Candido and Tammy's nadir when it came to drugs, their relationship, and the injuries. 

I said this before during the earlier seasons: It's tough to do this in 45 minutes unless you have a straight line story. This wasn't one you could do that with especially if you spent a fair amount of time on Candido's career as sort of a name in the Northeast indies and then going to Smoky Mountain. Then, you obviously have to talk about his WWF run. That's 30+ minutes right there.

And they made it seem like Sable came to WWF in 1998 and wasn't there when Sunny was really popular. 

IMO I am shocked they didn't do more on that. IIRC There was a small little story from 1996 when I believe Sunny was managing Farooq when Simmons first came in with that ridiculous getup and was working with Wildman era Marc Mero. Sunny and Sable had to do some spot where they had get physical on Raw, and the gist of the story was Sunny complained about Sable being stiff or something to that effect. It was something innocuous looking (especially compared to Sable full on roundhouse kicking Undertaker with those thigh high patent leather boots) and Sunny complained about it. Maybe Sable complained back as well, but it was clear that even early on that relationship was going to be contentious at best.

Sunny was really popular to the point where she got too big to manage actual pro wrestlers. They made her do ring announcing for the lucha and light heavyweight matches and gave her that short lived segment on Shotgun Saturday Night that bombed horribly. Then, Sable started dressing like she was about to go to a gonzo shoot for Reality Kings and that was sort of the end of Sunny's popularity. As much as people disliked Sable and didn't think she deserved it, she did really well in that WrestleMania bout in 1998 especially for what she was asked to do with no real experience. She held her own. Since Sunny couldn't wrestle, it negated a lot of what they could do it with her even though she was a pretty good talker. Yes, drugs were the big reason for her demise in WWF but it's not like she was doing spectacular before it became apparent she had issues.

• Like 6

It is interesting that Tammy, being a fan, never really even got competent in the ring. Maybe the drugs was part of that 

I saw Magnum was plugging next week’s episode.  It seems rare that a Dark Side subject to be promoting “their episode.” Maybe since so many of them are dead or salacious stories. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Loki said:

I’m drawing a blank. What was it?

The story I have heard is the Paul maxed out both Chris and Tammy credit cards out for ECW stuff that didn't always deal with Chris and Tammy and then when they were either fired or just not used anymore he never paid back a dime of it.   Again maybe there was more to this and maybe exploiting Tammy drug issues for a shitty TV rating is worse but seems extremely shitty

They did in detail.

IMO Seeing Tammy out there in general in ECW and being out there looking to be in no condition to perform even if the only thing she had to perform was just standing there is bad, period. Not on the level of pilled up zombie Sherri bordering on some Weekend at Bernie's shit in her final few months with Harlem Heat, but it's up there. Even then, Bischoff got tired of it and told her not to come back when he showed up to a Nitro one day incredibly fucked up. 

Well, WWE totally bit Dark Side in doing the Iron Sheik on their A&E Biography series. They have slo-mos of him sitting in the shadows on a throne even! TBH WWE has all the footage and probably could get more people involved (like Hogan) so it works out. Didn't know the details behind his daughter's murder which is just horrible and they don't shy away with anything. They don't show the shoot interview footage but they got him on Stern. Anyway, it is of course really good, and the "biting" is really just because of the darkness of the subject. Go out of your way to catch it. 

They did Dusty last week and I'm catching up to it now; it seems to be of the same quality. Saw the NWO one before and sheesh... they really did fuck up, didn't they?

Yeah, I've been meaning to since the trailer for it came out years ago, but nobody ever posted a link/I forgot about it/whatever. It looked really good and really sad. And also looked like you could see Sheiky actually doing drugs on camera. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, Brandon Thurston and John Pollock interviewed the main guy behind Dark Side (Evan Husney) last week, and he said Vice proper's bankruptcy stuff shouldn't affect them, as far as he's been told. 

https://www.stitcher.com/show/wrestlenomics-radio-2/episode/evan-husney-on-season-4-of-dark-side-of-the-ring-post-x-wrestlenomics-303971261

• Like 2

Yeah definitely. My mental response was "that's a lot of makeup". 

I never knew about the Buzz story (he should have broken his legs after getting "trained") or Nikita being the guy they turned to after the accident. Hell I didn't know he was the bona-fide next champ; I thought it was a David Von Erich situation where he was bound for it but didn't know he was unofficially-officially crowned already. 

The one thing I wondered about that they didn't clear up was what he does for a living these days that he's apparently pretty successful at.