DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

And then JR joining him! 

I don't think I knew ANY of the stories from this episode. Just ridiculous stuff. The Ali one was goosebump-raising. 

Oh, and the best thing about the DiBiase getting turned angle is they used the incredible Flair vs. blood-leaking Ted angle to turn him BACK AGAIN, and it was absolutely perfect. Such a level of booking right there. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

21 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

gotta love Jake the Snake lighting a cigarette within the first 3 minutes of this episode

Isn't he on an oxygen tank?

---

Looking forward to the Vince thing on the 12th. Thought it'd be a series, but it's just a 2 hour deal.

Edited by PetrolCB

I think Foley tells the Ali story in his first book. "He doesn't have to work here the next day, I do." Maybe I'm misremembering. 

Or is that a different Jake/Ali story? I would not be shocked if there were two of them. Or maybe Foley got mixed up because he tells it differently than Jake tells it here. 

I don’t know if the old neighbor of mine when I was a kid kept smoking during the time that he has emphysema and an oxygen tank, but Jake is probably in the camp that it’s better to smoke cigarettes than crack.

Also there’s Jim Ross with a form of skin cancer taking a smoke because that just happens sometimes.

Watching the MidSouth episode with clips of Jake Roberts/Muhammad Ali... Jake's selling really wasn't as bad as people acted like the time. Maybe Nord selling it like death made Jake staggering stand out. But he had a hand on the rope for one punch and the rest of the punches really weren't bad unless your standard is that he has to take a back pump over and over for Ali 5 years after his last title fight.

It makes for a hell of a story though.

• Like 1

The Nine Lives of Vince McMahon is an extremely lazy feature on Vince.  Probably 85% of it is rehash from Dark Side of the Ring even using the same footage.  and then you have Russo all over it.    Apparently everyone had a clue because it got one of its worst ratings 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, hammerva said:

The Nine Lives of Vince McMahon is an extremely lazy feature on Vince.  Probably 85% of it is rehash from Dark Side of the Ring even using the same footage.  and then you have Russo all over it.    Apparently everyone had a clue because it got one of its worst ratings 

It seems like Vice was going after the casual audience that didn’t watch the Dark Side eps and isn’t all that familiar with Vince.  

Apparently, they didn’t get it.

• 1 month later...

Pwinsider:

Dark Side of the Ring, as we have noted, have been filming for the fourth season for Vice TV.  Thus far, we have heard the following as subjects for a new season:

-Abdullah the Butcher 

-Mike Awesome

-Bam Bam Bigelow

Mick Foley, Jim Cornette, Terry Funk and Hacksaw Duggan are among those who have been interviewed for the season.  There is no word when it may air.  With Duggan being interviewed, we've been asked if they are doing an episode on the Duggan-Iron Sheik arrest in the late 1980s that shattered kayfabe, and it fits with the tone of the show, but we haven't heard that to be the case.

• Like 4

I saw something about an Abdullah the Butcher doc I think? But I can’t find it again. Man if there’s anybody whose seen it all, done it all, and covered it all up it’s him. He’s the biggest untold story left IMO. Forgetting my opinion on him as a mean old man now for a minute, he had an amazing life. We can’t imagine his early life let alone his life working as a self made special attraction minority wrestler in the territory days. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Red King said:

The Abdullah the Butcher one interests me.

Will this be centered around working with Hep C and (allegedly, I guess) infecting other workers or is there another dark angle about Abby?

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Not sure what is considered "dark" about Magnum TA car accident.  

I guess it depends if they use it for any tragic story, not just the salacious ones they focus on usually.

Seems they have done a couple episodes that aren't deaths or drugs etc 

Edited by odessasteps