DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

out of a panel of Michael Hayes, Jake Roberts, and Ted Dibiase, who knew that Ted would have been in a deeper scandal than the other two.

also, wonder if they had the footage of Jim and Nikita before or after they filmed the JCP panel, because they lean on the other guys for this episode

Just now, odessasteps said:

I wonder how many wrestlers were really up for the part. Wasn’t Kerry allegedly up for it? 

Yes allegedly, but I cannot imagine Kerry putting on any other accent. Might be more convincing than whatever the hell Scott Simpson came up for Nikita Koloff, but not saying much.

the JCP panel is pretty amazing on their own merits, as for people who were there before 1984 that are alive and could be on a panel... didn't Greg Valentine show up once on a Dark Side postgame show? like Brian Knobbs had a family tie to Greg Valentine and made it possible. Although I could understand how Greg might not be as good a panelist as others.

So the story of Johnny Valentine and Wahoo beating the piss out of each other until JCP wasn't just a tag team territory is pretty stellar but there's limits on how many people could tell the story with people dying over the years and all

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

Stallone working with wrestlers and liking wrestling is amazing for the ability of wrestlers to talk about how they were gonna work with Stallone.. like you know someone saw how big Hogan got out of Rocky III and said "this can happen for me too!"

Well, there was clearly a lane open that promptly closed once the era of the 80s action hero kinda gave way to more IP driven stuff. No Holds Barred was absolutely terrible, but not enough to sink an entire career like it did with Hogan when you consider Stallone and Arnold had giant bombs themselves. I am safely assuming a bunch of powerful producers like Bruckheimer/Don Simpson, Jon Peters, etc. just decided fuck working with wrestlers who might be primadonnas, when you can just have actual actors take PEDs and don't need to check with their actual boss to see if they can get time off to be on set.

The story about how Mr Wrestling 2 "saved" the territory after the plane crash is one of those where you need someone from that area in the mid 70's to really emphasize or kind of pull the bullshit meter on.   Yeah I am sure if it was found out that Johnny Valentine and Tim Woods was in the same plane in 1975 that would have really messed with people but I can't imagine that Crockett would have been "dead" because of it.  

Loved to story about how Baby Doll almost killed Cornette in the famous James Gang angle by starting the truck too early and him getting out of the noose in time.  

It seems like JR is going to tell the story about how Leroy McQuirk in a drunk rage tried to organize the murder of Bill Watts and how he was there trying to deal with.   He has probably told it hundreds of times when he was doing his one man shows many years ago and is a hell of  story.

It's obvious to say, but Mid-Atlantic's survival rate is sorta staggering compared to other territories. They could have put any number of permutations of guys on this thing. JCP probably needs multiple panels if they can get 'em on. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, there was clearly a lane open that promptly closed once the era of the 80s action hero kinda gave way to more IP driven stuff. No Holds Barred was absolutely terrible, but not enough to sink an entire career like it did with Hogan when you consider Stallone and Arnold had giant bombs themselves. I am safely assuming a bunch of powerful producers like Bruckheimer/Don Simpson, Jon Peters, etc. just decided fuck working with wrestlers who might be primadonnas, when you can just have actual actors take PEDs and don't need to check with their actual boss to see if they can get time off to be on set.

I think the combination of Last Action Hero bombing and Jurassic Park being a massive hit where the CGI was the star probably kicked this off. In fact, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, local newspapers, etc. at the time noted that it might soon be a trend to computer generate your stars instead of having to pay Arnold and work with and around him. 

• Like 1

And he probably couldn't have faked a Russian accent to save his life. This is the new winner for most relevant panel. Enjoyed it despite the fact that everything brought up was extremely well-trod ground. Tim Woods saved MACW, Dusty was a genius, The future Horsemen almost died at the Omni, etc, etc. Would have been nice to have gotten a little more about 70's Crockett aside from the plane crash but that isn't what that panel was designed for.

38 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Terry Funk wasn't wrestling for parts of the 80s, he could have played Ivan Drago

"If that egg-suckin' dog dies, he dies!" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, Execproducer said:

And he probably couldn't have faked a Russian accent to save his life. This is the new winner for most relevant panel. Enjoyed it despite the fact that everything brought up was extremely well-trod ground. Tim Woods saved MACW, Dusty was a genius, The future Horsemen almost died at the Omni, etc, etc. Would have been nice to have gotten a little more about 70's Crockett aside from the plane crash but that isn't what that panel was designed for.

As I've said before, these shows are mainly for the casual/lapsed fan, not us devotees who know a lot of these stories already from most of the episodes. For us, it's probably the Interactions between the participants and hearing how they tell the stories. 

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As I've said before, these shows are mainly for the casual/lapsed fan, not us devotees who know a lot of these stories already from most of the episodes. For us, it's probably the Interactions between the participants and hearing how they tell the stories. 

Sure but we're talking amongst ourselves not with casual lapsed fans and there must be hundreds of stories beyond the same old chestnuts that are TV friendly enough and that even us devotees aren't necessarily aware of. I will say that I hadn't heard Morton's Tully story before and it was good to get Baby Doll's perspective, even though the pregnant woman story was also familiar. I think there is a shoot interview with her that I'm going to have to look for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dog said:

I didn't know about the riot at the cage match. I haven't watched a lot of stuff before, say, 1991.

I do forget sometimes that I am an old man. Speaking of Tim Woods, he was my first wrestling hero back when he was teaming with Dino Bravo against Gene and Ole Anderson. He was like a real-life Lone Ranger. So it would be great for me personally to get more stories about him other than the plane crash and losing part of his finger against a "fan", especially since there doesn't seem to be much footage out there. When I discovered shoot interviews were a thing I devoured quite a few of them so between those and Legends Round Tables and the Flair book and documentaries,  as well as various other books, these stories have appeared multiple times. As Odessa said, these shows aren't really for us even though we are the ones more likely to watch them.

I wonder how many wrestling "riots" existed beyond the fervent imaginations of old timers. Clearly the 85 one saw some people crowding the cage but were they really fighting all the way back to the locker room? Also, it's amazing the number of heels "stabbed" on the way to the back without a single death. I have no doubt shit like that happened but it strikes me as likely akin to the 40,000,000 people that attended Woodstock.