DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

2 hours ago, Robert s said:

I am not familiar with Mike Masters, but cagematch (with the obvious question how complete their Portland results are) says he wrestled in Portland for a couple of months in 81 and 90, so not someone who on paper has a lot to say. By the way: he has passed away a couple of months ago. Guys like Mike Miller, Col DeBeers, the Cuban Assassin, Chris Colt or Brett Sawyer would have had much more to say (depending on how well they are doing, of course).

We’re he still alive, Chris Colt would be some kind of guest on one of these shows. 

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

We’re he still alive, Chris Colt would be some kind of guest on one of these shows. 

Okay, to be honest I just was checking some names from 80ies Portland set and somehow missed that Chris Colt died in the 90ies.

1 hour ago, Robert s said:

So he was the 1980 version of The Man of a Thousand and Four Holds? (with 502 armbars and 502 full nelsons) The match was decent enough, I guess, but he looks like a guy who would never make it beyond curtain-jerking.

Guy who could work any territory... as second match.

11 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

correct! It is Grappler Len Denton, Mike Masters, Bushwhacker Luke, and Princess Victoria 

That's a pretty underwhelming panel. I honestly did not know Luke had even ever come through the Northwest. Turns out they were here around 79-80. I'm not too surprised Victoria is on it since she's appeared on Dark Side before (the Moolah episode). I feel like Denton is probably gonna have to do most of the talking on this one. Raven, Fidel Sierra, Mean Mike Miller, Col. DeBeers and Ricky Santana are all still alive and have more of a connection to Portland than Mike Masters.

4 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I honestly did not know Luke had even ever come through the Northwest. Turns out they were here around 79-80.

This is not as good as Piper/Martel vs Rose/Wiskowki but you win the lottery instead of someone who has a reason to watch the Masters match:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Lia Miavia being wrestling’s first female promoter will be a shock to all the people who worked for Ann Gunkel. 

Do we count Teeny Jarrett? She would have promoting around the time Ann started.

On 11/7/2022 at 10:12 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Do we count Teeny Jarrett? She would have promoting around the time Ann started.

I guess it depends on if you want to differentiate between a local promoter as part of an office and owning the whole promotion. Taking nothing away from Christine, but she was still working for Nick and Roy. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I guess it depends on if you want to differentiate between a local promoter as part of an office and owning the whole promotion. Taking nothing away from Christine, but she was still working for Nick and Roy. 

IMO She would qualify even if she didn't outright own the promotion. Ann Gunkel would be the first female owner of a promotion. That's two different distinctions. 

• Like 2

The idea of Florida trying to get into the Hawaii territory makes no damn sense except for the fact that Kevin Sullivan is probably all over Florida at the time.    There is no quick way to get there.   Hell you could go to Texas in half that distance and even that makes no sense

Next week is Portland.  Shame that Buddy Rose and Roddy Piper isn't alive because the stories would be awesome and explain way more.  

• Like 3

Man, Prince Iaukea getting old is just proof that we're all going to die, and I'm basically having a moment considering my mortality over here. Thank you. 

That wasn't the Prince Iaukea from WCW - Rocky Iaukea is King Curtis' actual son.  Prince Iaukea was just given the name by Kevin Sullivan back then.

(But yeah, seeing all the panelists from this show gives me pause as well - I was watching all of these guys 30, 35 years ago.)

• Like 1

Also kind of weird that they telling that Sivi Afi was actually really good.  Maybe they are just trying to be nice.  Maybe he actually was good in the territories.  In the WWF he was awful and boring.  Granted trying to make him a Snuka rip off early in his run didn't help

introducing him as "Superfly! Sivi Afi!" was probably a kiss of death

I'm guessing the lack of a good building, among other things, is why a major American company hasn't done something like having a PPV in Hawaii

Aloha Stadium got condemned. I think the Blaisdell is too small for a big show. Anything outdoors has to deal with the fact that Hawaii weather could involve random rain.

The time difference is what it is. A 7pm Central show is 3pm Hawaii time over the winter and 7pm CDT is 2pm Hawaii time. So, a PPV would be late afternoon in Honolulu. If you're a promotion with a Friday night show on TNT, then your 9pm start time is 4/5pm on a Friday night.

Edited by Cobra Commander

Huh, I thought Rocky was Prince Iaukea's legit name. Well, I learned something today. That's what I get for not checking my facts. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

I enjoyed this episode - shockingly didn't get Polynesian Pro in Detroit in the 80s and I only know the stuff that Meltzer touches on - the Maivia/Robinson fight, the riot where the cop got hit in the head, etc.  

(I'd love an episode on Montreal's International Wresting territory - I did get that in Detroit.  Rick Martel and the Rougeaus are still around....)

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

introducing him as "Superfly! Sivi Afi!" was probably a kiss of death

I'm guessing the lack of a good building, among other things, is why a major American company hasn't done something like having a PPV in Hawaii

Aloha Stadium got condemned. I think the Blaisdell is too small for a big show. Anything outdoors has to deal with the fact that Hawaii weather could involve random rain.

The time difference is what it is. A 7pm Central show is 3pm Hawaii time over the winter and 7pm CDT is 2pm Hawaii time. So, a PPV would be late afternoon in Honolulu. If you're a promotion with a Friday night show on TNT, then your 9pm start time is 4/5pm on a Friday night.

The reason why the UFC hasn't been to Hawaii despite having Hawaiian stars like B.J. Penn in the past and Max Holloway presently is supposedly the taxes. The venues were kinda a problem at first, but I think the plan was to run the college stadium. 

I mean Bellator goes there every year and does okay business at Blaisdell two nights in a row, and their shows are at like 8 p.m. Central/9 p.m. Eastern. I don't think the time zone thing is much of an issue if you're going there once or twice a year.

• Like 1