DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

The retelling of the Bad News Allen & Archie Stomper angle by Bret kind of paints a different story of Ed Whalen.  The argument is that Ed ruins the angle because he was upset about the piledriver on Archie's son and quit.  But now it sounds like what really pissed Whalen was Bad News beating the shit out of a really old fan who punched him in the back of the leg.  

Now whether that was the reason the territory was killed because of the angle not working out is seriously debatable.

• Like 1

• Abby looks really good for a dude his age who has put his body through all that stuff. 

• Ed Whalen is one of the WOATs at the desk along with Boyd Pierce and Mark Madden. 

• I am getting old because I get sentimental about old men talking about how awesome their dads are. One of my favorite little docs is The Battered Bastards of Baseball because Kurt Russell is all like My dad was the best and the smartest, and my dad was great at running a baseball team even though the MACHINE didn't want him to, and my dad beat the machine and would have kept beating it except MLB was too scared to let that happen and used all their power to try and stop him. You can see an old man become a child again for a second talking about how awesome their dads are and how they'd beat your dad up and also every other dad. Anyway, that's Bret for me when he reminisces about Stu. This crusty old dude just loves his pops. It's endearing to see. 

• Bret's stories are all in his book, but I loved his book, so I didn't mind hearing them again. 

• Is Cuban Assassin Sr. on bad terms with Bret? Just running through possible fifth people for this panel. Of course, they have to say yes. I will say that I'd rather have four panelists with something to say about the territory rather than five panelists, but one just sort of is a rock (for example, DDP on the AWA panel). 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I dunno. If you read the Stampede book, Whalen was constantly whining about the violence, and even getting the station(s?) to cut up the footage. If he was censoring stuff then fuck that. 

Is there a chance he did that because he knew the stations didn't like that kind of stuff? Sure it's most likely he was a stick in the mud, but as a broadcaster he would have a better feel on what station managers would tolerate.

I said this to Matt earlier, was their announcer more detrimental to the product as an announcer than Whalen? 

Not just a bad announcer (most promotions have had them at one time) but one often hostile to the talent and sabotages his own show? 

I got a good chuckle out of Abby talking about some bar and looking at Bret like "you know the one, right?" and Bret just deadpanning "I was in 6th grade".

Also I never get tired of people doing impressions of Stu Hart.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just remembered the part of this week's Between the Sheets where Zellner described Abdullah the Butcher's farmers market outfit as he was shopping for stuff for his Chinese restaurant and apparently put things in his wife's name.

Wonder if steamed white rice would be a staple of Abdullah the Butcher's "I can't be so fat anymore" diet that helped slim him down post-Wrestling. I don't now what kinds of fried/steamed/edible rice are the healthiest, if any.

Has it come out yet who is on the panel for the Portland episode? I know Len Denton is still alive so hopefully he is (his book is fucking tremendous by the way). I *think* Col. DeBeers is still alive so maybe him too? Billy Jack is still alive but is batshit crazy. I know Buddy Rose and Rip Oliver are dead. I'm trying to think of who else from Portland would still be around...

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Has it come out yet who is on the panel for the Portland episode? I know Len Denton is still alive so hopefully he is (his book is fucking tremendous by the way). I *think* Col. DeBeers is still alive so maybe him too? Billy Jack is still alive but is batshit crazy. I know Buddy Rose and Rip Oliver are dead. I'm trying to think of who else from Portland would still be around...

Raven started out in Portland no?

11 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Google tells me Grappler was on someone's pod discussi g filming it, so maybe he lists the panel. 

correct! It is Grappler Len Denton, Mike Masters, Bushwhacker Luke, and Princess Victoria 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

correct! It is Grappler Len Denton, Mike Masters, Bushwhacker Luke, and Princess Victoria 

I am not familiar with Mike Masters, but cagematch (with the obvious question how complete their Portland results are) says he wrestled in Portland for a couple of months in 81 and 90, so not someone who on paper has a lot to say. By the way: he has passed away a couple of months ago. Guys like Mike Miller, Col DeBeers, the Cuban Assassin, Chris Colt or Brett Sawyer would have had much more to say (depending on how well they are doing, of course).

On 11/1/2022 at 9:57 AM, Cobra Commander said:

I believe that Cornette mentioned turning down Vice on his podcast

I want a show where the host mentions news he heard that were pretty blatantly on other peoples podcasts

Wrestling Observer Radio?

I’ve watched all the Tales of the Territories so far they’ve been really good. The Andy Kaufman one is my favorite episode, that angle just worked out as perfectly as it could possibly have. Lawler going on Letterman and slapping Andy out of his chair made that angle Immortal.

On the Calgary episode, I’d only like to point out that Dave Shultz is a not in the best way possible, he’s from rural Tennessee he had never experienced a Canadian Winter before and he elected to drive his own car than ride in a bus driven by a Native Canadian who has driven in the winter time up there their whole lives. 

1 hour ago, Robert s said:

I am not familiar with Mike Masters, but cagematch (with the obvious question how complete their Portland results are) says he wrestled in Portland for a couple of months in 81 and 90, so not someone who on paper has a lot to say. By the way: he has passed away a couple of months ago. Guys like Mike Miller, Col DeBeers, the Cuban Assassin, Chris Colt or Brett Sawyer would have had much more to say (depending on how well they are doing, of course).

This match shows you just about everything you need to know about Masters:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This match shows you just about everything you need to know about Masters:

So he was the 1980 version of The Man of a Thousand and Four Holds? (with 502 armbars and 502 full nelsons) The match was decent enough, I guess, but he looks like a guy who would never make it beyond curtain-jerking.