DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

We get Kevin Sullivan talking about his cult next week so they can tell all the Hogan stories they want. 

Should just be an hour talking about King Curtis. 

Given the salacious nature of these shows, I presume lots of Snake Pit/Sugar Hold stories. Too bad Ron isn't there to tell the ones he's told on the Studcast.

• Like 2

Ribs are dumb, but I love Sherri and thus make an exception for her pelting the car with Blizzards.

This is a panel that needed to be done twenty or twenty-five years ago. In retrospect, it's lucky how many options they had still living to talk Memphis. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I know this is a fat guy thing but I had no idea that Blizzards at Dairy Queen were around in the 80's.   

As a child of the (late) '80s, oh yes. They were the finest of treats.

Now I'm a snob who turns his nose up at soft-serve, but as a kid? Give me that Nerds Blizzard, please. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Ribs are dumb, but I love Sherri and thus make an exception for her pelting the car with Blizzards.

This is a panel that needed to be done twenty or twenty-five years ago. In retrospect, it's lucky how many options they had still living to talk Memphis. 

And that's without them using Dundee, Randy Hales, JC or Austin Idol. 

• Like 2

Just now, odessasteps said:

And that's without them using Dundee, Randy Hales, JC or Austin Idol. 

Yeah, I added, then deleted, that Idol and Dundee were still around (last I saw Idol, he was doing those nu-NWA sketches and was hilarious inthem). 

I forgot about Randy Hales entirely, but yeah, now that I think about this, they should have done just a whole season about Memphis. Eight episodes, swapping out panelists. 

• Like 1

The really incredible part about Patera is that he had a whole WWF run *after* the McDonalds incident. It was the 80s. They really thought "gotta get the most out of this guy before he goes to prison".

It's be like if Teddy Hart kept getting bookings while going through the legal process for his situation, only with someone who draws money.

• Like 1

I thought his prison time was finished when he re-joined the WWF in 87?    Why they decided to do the redemption story

By the way if you thought the Adrian Adonis story was gross, imagine if it was around 87 when he was about 150 pounds fatter and messed up on so much stuff ?

Edited by hammerva

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I presume doing Memphis means not having to get rights for the footage since it's ownership is nebulous. I bet a lot of that came from JC's collection.

After the whole Corey Maclin/Lawler legal battle, did anyone make an attempt to buy at least some portion of the footage?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

I thought his prison time was finished when he re-joined the WWF in 87?    Why they decided to do the redemption story

McDonalds was April 6th, 1984. Patera went on a New Japan tour in May-June 1984. Then he debuted in the WWF in August 1984 and worked there through June 1985. He was sentenced to 2 years in June 1985. Then he came back to the WWF in April 1987 through Survivor Series 1988.

Edited by Cobra Commander
June 85, not August 85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think Patera saw how much money Paul Orndorff made during that 85-87 period he was in prison and thinks that should have been his spot. Which it wouldn't have been he'd have been low down the Heenan family pecking order, below Orndorff and below Bundy. He'd have been the designated jobber in tags and 6 mans against Hogan and partners. Maybe he'd have got a few matches with Hogan. Going to prison did cost him several hundred grand at the end of his career though. He might as well be honest about the McDonalds incident at this point, since it's not like putting a rock through a window sent him to prison, he'd have only been fined for that. Him and Saito beating up 13 cops and breaking the leg of one of them was what sent them to prison.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Edit 4: Greg's story about territories sending Vince Sr their footage to age on HBO probably isn't exactly true but I recall that they had aired some non-WWF stuff to coincidentally build interest for raids but not on HBO. Greg once told a story about inventing MMA so some of his details might not be entirely there

Greg Gagne is the only guy in the wrestling business who might be a bigger liar then Hulk Hogan. In the "Back to the Territories" episode about the AWA, Cornette somehow managed to keep Gagne (mostly) in check for 1.5 hours. In the last half hour though, Gagne claimed to have brought Hogan into WCW, came up with the nWo and/or (I don't remember for sure) came up with the idea of Hogan being the third man and lots of other nonsense (I think he claimed being responsible for Eric Bischoff getting hired in WCW and getting promoted to executive vice president - the first thing on first glance does not seem to be so absurd, but the timeline does not matter, I think Greg got hired as an agent after Bischoff came into power).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I think Patera saw how much money Paul Orndorff made during that 85-87 period he was in prison and thinks that should have been his spot. Which it wouldn't have been he'd have been low down the Heenan family pecking order, below Orndorff and below Bundy. He'd have been the designated jobber in tags and 6 mans against Hogan and partners. Maybe he'd have got a few matches with Hogan. Going to prison did cost him several hundred grand at the end of his career though. He might as well be honest about the McDonalds incident at this point, since it's not like putting a rock through a window sent him to prison, he'd have only been fined for that. Him and Saito beating up 13 cops and breaking the leg of one of them was what sent them to prison.

yeah, Ken Patera wasn't gonna do a stint as a Friend of Hogan followed by a heel turn and a huge house show run. I mean, he might have lost out on a chance to feud with Billy Jack Haynes (Patera and Haynes were a tag team in 87/88, which has to be a great pairing of people telling insane stories)

Now if Patera wasn't in prison from 1985-87, does he end up in Crockett being managed by Paul Jones?

Patera's life probably plays out slightly differently if he ended up in the Schultz spot in the WWF at the beginning of 1984. Same goes for Schultz's life and John Stossel's bank account balance.

• Like 1

FYI on the Memphis footage

Why isn't Memphis Wrestling on the WWE Network by now?  What is the mystery answer?

The mystery of the Memphis Wrestling library ownership is one that likely has several answers. WMC in Memphis is likely the owner of much of the library that ran on their channel, although whether that footage was even archived is unknown. It wasn't customary for a lot of older tapes to be kept; in fact, they were often re-used during that time period due to financial costcutting. Some of the library may have been lost in the red tape that saw the company sold to investors named "The Selkers" which ended up as a major mess in court.   Jerry Jarrett told me in an interview once that he doesn't believe he retained ownership after he sold the promotion to the Selkers.  There has never been a successful attempt to track down exactly what is out there and unite it under one owner (although at one point, Jerry Lawler had been trying to do so), so when you see footage popping up under WWE auspices, they either made a deal for that specific footage or it's footage that ended up in another library that they acquired, like the Lawler-Curt Hennig AWA title switch.  It'll likely never all be united under one owner.  My guess is if and when it pops up on the Network, it will be in edited form.

• Like 1

the Mad Dog Vachon stories on the AWA episode and Jos LeDuc being mentioned in the Memphis episode inspired me to check into "did Mad Dog Vachon and Jos LeDuc work together" and of course they did

It started in 1972 in Montreal with Jos & Paul LeDuc working against Mad Dog Vachon & Ivan Rapapotsky. There was a LeDuc vs Mad Dog match in Quebec City in August 1972. Then in December 1973 in Florida, Jos and Paul LeDuc worked against Mad Dog Vachon and a series of partners, cumulating in the LeDucs facing Mad Dog and Stan Vachon. Stan Vachon had a series of other names and wasn't a legit Vachon. Paul LeDuc was a legit LeDuc. That feud wrapped up in January 1974. One of the matches had Haystacks Calhoun as a referee which is a novelty.

Then there were Mad Dog vs LeDuc matches in Texas in 1975, leading to them teaming together one week in the AWA, and then working tag matches against each other through 1976. Then in 1986, they teamed twice in Montreal.

Mad Dog had a mustache and Jos LeDuc didn't, that's how you tell them apart.

Butcher Vachon had a few matches with Jos LeDuc over the years too (1972 in Quebec, 1973 in Ottawa, and twice in 1977 in Florida)

The Florida matches sound like a good time

Jos LeDuc and The Brisco Brothers vs Butcher Vachon, Crusher Verdu, and Siegfried Steinke. Then LeDuc and Dusty vs Buddy Wolf and Butcher Vachon.

It took until the beginning of 1979 for Jos LeDuc to become a heel and face Dusty because you knew Babyface Jos LeDuc wasn't made to last.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Mad Dog had a mustache and Jos LeDuc didn't, that's how you tell them apart.

photographic aid... with Ivan Koloff included to remind you that they had so many bald wrestlers from Montreal that Ivan Koloff had to be a Russian

Spoiler

Leduc_Brothers_-_Wrestling_Revue_-_JanuaMV5BODkwZWYyYWItNzg5OC00NjNmLTlmMjEtYmEy

Ivan_Koloff_8002.jpg

• Like 2

Jos had the lazy eye. Easy peasy. 

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Should just be an hour talking about King Curtis. 

That's probably gonna be the Hawaii episode. 

You gotta admit, going to prison and having the rep of being there for beating up a gang of cops is probably the best way to be incarcerated. That's some Saul Goodman shit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Jos had the lazy eye. Easy peasy. 

That's probably gonna be the Hawaii episode. 

You gotta admit, going to prison and having the rep of being there for beating up a gang of cops is probably the best way to be incarcerated. That's some Saul Goodman shit.

Masa Saito could have gone back to Japan instead of prison. He would have never been allowed back to the US. He chose prison so he could continue to get and work with gaijin for New Japan. He also was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was all Patera's fault.

The story is that Charly Manson was a hero in prison after he went there for beating up a bunch of cops. That was a crazy story too. He was so drunk that he lost his car. He went to the cops to report it stolen, however they arrested him for being loaded in public. He beat on the cops with rocks in his hands. I guess he couldn't get the traditional wrestling roll of quarters.