DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

On 10/13/2022 at 9:13 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Tony Danza was a New York native born in 1951, do we think he's more of a Bruno guy or an Argentina Rocca guy because Rocca came first?

I dunno, but I wish he was a native Texan. Then we could've gotten Blackjack Danza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 10/9/2022 at 5:22 PM, odessasteps said:

That was prob also when it was still part of AV. So Last must have good relationship still with him.

That was a few months after they split from AV. Also Jon Boucher has some involvement with the Stories series.

also the Lawler version of events on the night of the two piledrivers makes Andy seem a bit smarter than Lawler in knowing how to put over the business/Lawler because Andy was insisting that they call an ambulance to stretcher him out after taking two piledrivers instead of just walking off eventually. If an unathletic looking actor could take 2 piledrivers and eventually walk off, that diminishes the piledriver a little when it's used on real wrestlers. It wouldn't have totally killed it but if he walked off eventually, it's a lot harder to ever stretcher out a wrestler after that move.

Plus they made Bill Watts, booker of pro wrestling for a decade before this angle, think it was legit. Which is hilarious.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 2

Not for nothing, but if you arrive at a hospital after an incident complaining of neck pain and such, they are damn sure going to put you in a brace and keep you there, especially back then. Even today, most probably, but it would be harder to get painkillers.

Everyone here needs to watch "My Breakfast With Blassie" again (I hope) and get the real scoop, and also some mega-Zen lessons from AK and Thee Hollywood Fashion Plate. 

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

This just made me want breakfast. THANKS A LOT.

(I appreciate and even enjoy My Dinner With Andre, but I think the pop culture that references and shoots from it tends to be more entertaining than the original film that inspired it.)

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1

The AWA episode was a bit of a strange bedfellow with watching Hangman Page get put on a stretcher, but it was a bit heartening. We got Ken Patera's version of the Masa Saito/McDonald's incident and I fairly believe someone who went to jail for two years and got probation for seven off of it. Madusa is looking like DDP (so basically like Mickey Rourke) but still beautiful somehow*. Her Sherri Martel story makes me deeply wish we had her for the series. Greg Gagne is definitely the uncle who tells the biggest and most animated stories at the family reunion after too many Bud Lights. 

* Ms. Miceli, we all age and god knows I don't look like jack shit like in my 20s. Please do not come to my house and cripple me. You are gorgeous.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

i'm 1 for 3 in remembering to watch this show during it's first run so i'm watching the AWA episode for the first time on it's replay

Summary of the first 2 big stories: the AWA is about people trying to accidentally kill their coworkers

Edit: kinda applicable through 3 big stories.. when the guy who threw a boulder through a McDonald's Window was doing the least to get his coworkers hurt

Edit 2: Ken Patera claims some random kid threw the boulder, well okay sure, Harvey the Pink Rabbit did it.

Edit 3: Ken Patera looks so fucking sauced. Jim Brunzell looks like he sold drugs to Jr. High students. But Patera is just on another weird level. For some reason I never really read/heard the Patera/Saito story well enough before tonight and I might have thought that they were fighting the cops at the McDonalds. Also I'm guessing DDP is here to drive Ken Patera home safely.

Edit 4: Greg's story about territories sending Vince Sr their footage to age on HBO probably isn't exactly true but I recall that they had aired some non-WWF stuff to coincidentally build interest for raids but not on HBO. Greg once told a story about inventing MMA so some of his details might not be entirely there

Edited by Cobra Commander

Everything we have heard about Ken Patera in the last 20 years is on full display here.  Like you just picturing him telling everyone to go fuck themselves including Greg,  Medusa, VICE, and someone cleaning the building.

You can see Medusa looking around not believing any of this McDonalds story.  

I didn't have Jim Brunzell as the AWA version of Steve Dr Death Williams on my Territories bingo card.  

Edited by hammerva

Also because the talent might a little less friendly about the boss in the AWA than Memphis, even with all the references to low payoffs from Jarrett.

Like how Patera used the phrase “Verne Gagne special” to mock Verne in front of Greg Gagne.

Also some good potential panelists are either recently dead or otherwise unavailable. Mean Gene, Bobby Heenan (whose cancer made him unavailable way before he died), Jesse the Body (unavailable, he’s still alive), Nick Bockwinkel, Larry the Ax, they’re not getting Hulk Hogan for an episode where Greg says Hulk Hogan was the first to doublecross Verne.

DDP did so little that it’s possible that they could have gotten more by putting Brian Knobbs on the panel. Provided that Knobbs didn’t get into a fight with Ken Patera midtaping

• Like 3

It’s probably okay to make low pay jokes, even with Jerry there, since all of the people on the panel were made men in Memphis. 

i guess they have tried to get Sarge or Larry. I don’t know how Larry gets along with Greg, since I believe Larry is no longer married to Greg’s sister. 

• Like 1

Also Lanza died in 2021, Mulligan in 2016, Larry Nelson in 2014, Masa Saito in 2018.

Granted, we just had the 5 year anniversary of Lance Russell passing and he might have been the one person to have been a better traffic cop in that panel than Jeff Jarrett.

Also Patera taking time out of a story about fighting cops to talk about how most of them are good makes me think he unironically has a Blue Lives Matter flag on his vehicle.

I picture Patera as a guy who all the stickers on his car just to piss both groups off

Also if the CWF one for next week is an indicator, most of these shows not Memphis will be heavy Hogan talk just because.  I mean except for Hogan start and getting his leg broke in training I don't remember much of Hogan in Florida territory

Edited by hammerva

The Hogan/Matsuda story would be a natural branch off into how Lex Luger started there and other Matsuda guys. If they wanted to go that way.

But aside from some vacation bookings, there wasn’t a lot of Hogan in Florida. If you were Dusty, even with how over Dusty was there, an over babyface Hogan in Florida would have had a high ceiling at least for awhile.

Patera would probably cite Tony Atlas (they worked together, right?) to talk about how he doesn’t see color

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Edit 4: Greg's story about territories sending Vince Sr their footage to age on HBO probably isn't exactly true but I recall that they had aired some non-WWF stuff to coincidentally build interest for raids but not on HBO. Greg once told a story about inventing MMA so some of his details might not be entirely there

Vince Jr. got promotions to send him footage for All American Wrestling on USA, I remember see Hogan and the High Flyers against Heenan and two of his charges.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Vince Jr. got promotions to send him footage for All American Wrestling on USA, I remember see Hogan and the High Flyers against Heenan and two of his charges.

yeah, he sorta combined "MSG Shows are airing on HBO" (to not as many homes as TBS/GCW) with "we sent footage to Vince and he stole our talent" to make the story about sending footage to air on HBO

• Like 2