DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Andy Kaufman: I'm From Hollywood was a formative documentary in my wrestling fanhood when I was a pre-teen, so I loved this episode even though I knew most of these stories. 

I did enjoy Lawler telling these stories. Every time Kaufman does something else that he realized he could make money with in the past, his eyes got just as wide re-telling the stories as they probably did at the time. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 9:41 AM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Wow, Meltzer's comedy takes are as questionable as his wrestling takes.

I guess all you really need to become a tastemaker is to be first out with a newsletter and not, you know, good taste.

to be fair there's a whole school of thought that Kaufman was a performance artist more than anything

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zendragon said:

to be fair there's a whole school of thought that Kaufman was a performance artist more than anything

Porque no los dos?

Also, where would DVDVR rank Andy Kaufman in the "best at stalling" rankings? Obviously behind Larry Z., but what is he, top ten at stalling? Top five?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Porque no los dos?

Also, where would DVDVR rank Andy Kaufman in the "best at stalling" rankings? Obviously behind Larry Z., but what is he, top ten at stalling? Top five?

Tied with Michael Hayes…ol boy would take advantage of his stadium surroundings…loooong walks to the chant of “Go home, Freebirds!”

Edited by The Great ML
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Lawler having like 50lbs on Danza would be his one plus but I’m not exactly thinking Lawler was the best Memphis prospect in a real fight vs a middleweight boxer

Bill Dundee, despite being shorter than Danza, seems like enough of a carny worker that he could have held off Danza. Of course Dundee was busy with other things during this time.

Is there any Lawler shoot fight stories besides his sucker punch of Jimmy Hart?

What are the chances that Andy Kaufman and Dan Shocket, the heel writer from the Apter mags were one and the same? Kaufman died in May '84, Shocket was reported as having died in the January '85 magazines so the timeline matches up. Kaufman famously knew Apter. Their heel personas were pretty much the same. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Is there any Lawler shoot fight stories besides his sucker punch of Jimmy Hart?

According to Cornette at least, whenever crazy fans would try to slide underneath the bottom rope during a match, Lawler would absolutely punt them. There was one case where some lunatic got laid out by Lawler and carried off to the back by the cops. Of course, that would be du jour for that time but the point still remains.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

What are the chances that Andy Kaufman and Dan Shocket, the heel writer from the Apter mags were one and the same? Kaufman died in May '84, Shocket was reported as having died in the January '85 magazines so the timeline matches up. Kaufman famously knew Apter. Their heel personas were pretty much the same. 

This has been denied by Bill Apter. 

also. lawler sucker punched Heyman in 87.

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

would you be on a panel with the man who smashed your car in the mid-80s?

Also, I don't know when they were doing the filming for this season, but Duggan only recently completed treatments for prostate cancer so I could see how he might be a little busy due to that.

I've been making it a habit to watch some Mid-South every week. I've been skipping all over the place, but I just happened to watch the New Years 1985 episode where they celebrate Joel Watts' birthday (from the Youtube thumbnail above) after Bill presents an award to Duggan and also an episode from mid February 1985 where they do one of a few tuxedo contests between Duggan and DiBiase. Why don't we have more tuxedo contests? Duggan wins the one I saw and DiBiase demands another one WITH computer voting.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The MX wore tuxedos.

The Starrcade 84 edition of Jones/Valiant was a tuxedo street fight, so I thought that's what you were mentioning. 84 also had Babyface Ole Anderson vs Russians. I guess that cheering for Ole is like cheering for a dictator because the CIA helped him overthrow a communist government.

Starrcade 85 was called an Atlanta street fight, but I guess tuxedoes were there because the entire heel team had spent some time around Memphis

I always figured it was the MX mocking the street people by wearing tuxedos. Also, a place to hold powder, chains, etc. 

I wondered recently if one reason Starrcade 84 feels weird was because of the heels that were working as faces. 

• Like 1

As someone who is also doing a Mid South 84/85 watch right now, Ernie Ladd showing up for a street fight wearing a polo shirt, khaki pants, and loafers while everyone else in the match is in workout clothes (Butch Reed and Master G) or tank top and blue jeans (Magnum TA) may legit top the tuxedos for me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well, since we're talking Mid-South watches, I just saw Paul Orndorff sucker Ted DiBiase in a tag match by waving at Bob Roop, standing in the corner behind DiBiase, and getting DiBiase to turn around and defend against a blindside attack so that Orndorff could just punch DiBiase from behind.

That was a great little spot. 

In general, I could watch Orndorff and Roop beat up jobbers all day, tuxedos or not. 

EDIT: Ernie Ladd rocking the polo and loafers whenever possible, including street fights, is another reason that Mid-South rules. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

As someone who is also doing a Mid South 84/85 watch right now, Ernie Ladd showing up for a street fight wearing a polo shirt, khaki pants, and loafers while everyone else in the match is in workout clothes (Butch Reed and Master G) or tank top and blue jeans (Magnum TA) may legit top the tuxedos for me. 

reminds me of when Christopher Daniels would wear dress clothes to streetfights in TNA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Best part is when Watts would book a " Ghetto Street Fight" and Ladd would dress nice as kind of a fuck you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

it's all fun and games until Ernie beats a dude to death with his shoes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2022 at 9:13 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Tony Danza was a New York native born in 1951, do we think he's more of a Bruno guy or an Argentina Rocca guy because Rocca came first?

I dunno, but I wish he was a native Texan. Then we could've gotten Blackjack Danza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3