DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

if Harley was still alive, they would have to furiously edit any of his stories about drunk driving or drunk boating. Fortunately enough people survived riding with Harley to tell the world about how he never met a Speed Limit that he didn't ignore

Also guessing that Dundee not making a Memphis panel might involve some sort of story about prominent Memphis people who aren't necessarily friendly with each other outside of situations where they get paid 'enough'.

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

Honestly this is one of the most interesting. I love hearing about non WWWF/JCP/Southern territories that have been covered to death

Me too. PPW was this wild promotion that aired Saturday nights on the stock ticker channel as filler. It was always the same couple of shows and it was the first show where I saw a heel Lawler promo. I must have seen Flair vs Sivi Afi five times.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 6:12 PM, Cobra Commander said:

what would the hypothetical panel for a Georgia episode be? Ole has had MS for like 15 years and is probably not very well

Tommy Rich, Eadie/Masked Superstar, and... yeah.. that's a hard table to fill up

Tony Atlas? Austin Idol? Ted DiBiase?

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Wow, Meltzer's comedy takes are as questionable as his wrestling takes.

I guess all you really need to become a tastemaker is to be first out with a newsletter and not, you know, good taste.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Wow, Meltzer's comedy takes are as questionable as his wrestling takes.

I guess all you really need to become a tastemaker is to be first out with a newsletter and not, you know, good taste.

He was what? 23?

14 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He was what? 23?

This post seems to imply that as a critic, he's grown significantly since then.

As someone who has lurked here about twice as long as he has posted here, most DVDVR reviewers have tracked growth and self-reflection in their criticism that I'm not sure Meltz has really come near.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

This post seems to imply that as a critic, he's grown significantly since then.

As someone who has lurked here about twice as long as he has posted here, most DVDVR reviewers have tracked growth and self-reflection in their criticism that I'm not sure Meltz has really come near.

Can't argue here.

• Like 1

About the eyeball story... wrestling stories should be like fishing stories. I don't care if they're 100% as long as the lies are easily recognized and there to add color. I don't care if his eye actually feel out,  but gouging an eye is a story,  pulling a dude's eyeball out is a hell of a story. 

• Like 3

On 10/10/2022 at 3:30 PM, Robert s said:

Oh, boy. Switch on your bullshit-meter for that one, guys.

The whole series is old pro wrestlers telling stories. The bullshit meter would explode in less than five minutes.

(For the record, I'm a big fan of bullshit stories.)

Edited by Log
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Log said:

The whole series is old pro wrestlers telling stories. The bullshit meter would explode in less than five minutes.

(For the record, I'm a big fan of bullshit stories.)

Yeah,  this reminds me of someone criticizing the president by saying,  he's playing political games. I mean,  he's s fucking politician, of course he's playing political games that's the game he chose. These dudes choose to be wrestlers,  if they aren't full of shit,  they aren't going their jobs. 

• Like 2

I mean the best part of the whole Kaufman story is Bill Watts and other promoters thinking that they shoot put Andy in the hospital .  Jerry Jarrett talking about whether he should call Watts a mark for thinking this is real.  

Amazing that Andy didn't even tell his own parents that it was real.   Talk about a great worker 

So next week is the beginning of the AWA talk.  And unlike the Memphis it isn't really featuring guys famously known for the AWA except for Ken Patera.  I don't really really consider Medusa and DDP as AWA legends 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So next week is the beginning of the AWA talk.  And unlike the Memphis it isn't really featuring guys famously known for the AWA except for Ken Patera.  I don't really really consider Medusa and DDP as AWA legends 

Right? The Baron is still with us.

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

laughing at the whole concept of Tony Danza coming down to Memphis to fight Jerry Lawler (Danza was a middleweight boxer who went 9-3 from 1976 to 1979)

I don't get ViceTV so I didn't see the episode, did they want to bring Danza in to work with Lawler or did Danza think it was a shoot and wanted to beat up The King? 

17 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I don't get ViceTV so I didn't see the episode, did they want to bring Danza in to work with Lawler or did Danza think it was a shoot and wanted to beat up The King? 

Danza thought it was shoot. They didn't want to smarten him up and Lawler told Andy that if they brought him in he might have to hurt Danza to protect himself. So Andy quickly nixed the idea.

• Like 1

Is Lawler the only source for the “it was all a work.  Kaufman didn’t break his neck” story?

I tend to believe Jerry, but I’m trouble wrapping my head around the idea that Kaufman let friends and family believe it was a legit injury and that the hospital Kaufman was admitted to went along with it (they continued to claim Kaufman was treated for a legitimate neck injury even after Kaufman’s death).

Normally, I’d assume Jerry got up one morning and decided he didn’t want to be known as the guy who nearly crippled a Hollywood actor and came up with a story to make himself more sympathetic.

jerry ignoring Kaufman’s request for an ambulance because he didn’t want to spend the $300 is…. something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, quackhell said:

Danza thought it was shoot. They didn't want to smarten him up and Lawler told Andy that if they brought him in he might have to hurt Danza to protect himself. So Andy quickly nixed the idea.

I didn't think the cast of Taxi liked Kaufman that much to want to defend him. Danza went to college on a wrestling scholarship, made it to the New York Golden Gloves finals(not sure which class) and had a 9-3 pro boxing record, there's a very good chance he could have handled Lawler.