DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

not sure if Randy Savage getting into a knifefight in a Waffle House ranks in the top 10000 craziest things to happen in a Waffle House but Randy Savage getting into a fight at a Waffle House is certainly something.

I think knife fights are fairly common at Waffle Houses and that Randy Savage stopping to eat at Waffle House after a show was fairly common.

It's the mixing of these two things together that make magic. Kind of like how sodium and chlorine are just standard poisonous elements by themselves, but they come together and make a wonderful thing that preserves meat and seasons dishes when combined. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 2

I will say that I was surprised that they showed the story of Lawler pretending to be a cop and pulling over a black man in the South. Uh...that's not funny at all. 

But most of these stories hit. And as Curt McGirt notes, the Orchestra Pit Match was cool as hell. I'd seen it before and wondered why no one had ever tried something like that again. 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I believe they buried the hatchet a few years ago

Yeah, on his podcast, Jeff says he has lunch with his dad every week. Now who picks up the check is anyone's guess.

With Jerry (Jarrett) getting up there in age, I dunno if this would be best time to still be holding a grudge anyway.

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, on his podcast, Jeff says he has lunch with his dad every week. Now who picks up the check is anyone's guess.

You’re assuming the Jarretts get together for lunch and someone picks up the check?  I picture Jeff and Jerry as serial dine-and-dash types.

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, madl said:

You’re assuming the Jarretts get together for lunch and someone picks up the check?  I picture Jeff and Jerry as serial dine-and-dash types.

They would have been caught already. Jeff himself has a natural heat getting disposition to the point where he would stick out like a sore thumb.

LeDuc also did the axe across the arm gimmick in Knoxville in '78 when he came in as a face and swore revenge on Bob Orton, Jr and Mr. Knoxville(Ron Garvin) for putting his "brother" out of wrestling in Kansas City. Does anybody know how many times he did this in different territories?

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:02 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Total coincidence: I went to put something on at random during the commercial break for this first episode and it was Sodom's Better Off Dead album. First track? 

"An Eye for an Eye". ?

That was a blast, and maybe even more fucked up and crazy than Dark Side of the Ring. 

Just watched the show...now all I can do is go back to when I heard Jericho's Smoky Mountain story about the one fan dipping his finger in Chris' puddle of blood, licking his finger, and saying "...that ain't real blood."

At what point does someone get their eyeball popped out or loose at the very least and the fans aren't immediately repulsed? At worst, they would think it wasn't part of the show and not show up the next week.

Also, based on the stories from this episode, I expect a bulk of the content to be about the OTHER towns in the territory rather than principal city. They spent more time on what went on in Louisville, Evansville, and Jonesboro than what went on in Memphis. Hell, Batesville, Mississippi (which actually isn't that far what I'm from) got about 2-3 minutes.

anyways, Cornette sorta went "I'd never heard that version of the eyeball story" in regards to Jarrett/Galento, before noting that he wouldn't have tried correcting the record if he was at that table.

So a table of friends/contemporaries telling stories is what it is.. some of it might have a detail or two wrong or misremembered.

18 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

anyways, Cornette sorta went "I'd never heard that version of the eyeball story" in regards to Jarrett/Galento, before noting that he wouldn't have tried correcting the record if he was at that table.

So a table of friends/contemporaries telling stories is what it is.. some of it might have a detail or two wrong or misremembered.

Unless I just live in a totally different society than the rest, I would totally remember if an eyeball came out. That's not a detail you would normally misremember.

That said, with how long winded Jerry (Jarrett) is, I'm pretty sure they had to edit the shit out of what he went into. 

@odessasteps brought up the anniversary of Whitey Caldwell's death in the monthly discussion thread and that reminds me: how are they going to break down Tennessee? Does Nashville and Knoxville/east Tennessee get their own individual episodes?

Polynesian Pro is only getting an episode because of who the producer is, and it's inexplicable that Georgia, the most viewed territory of the late 70s/early 80s that these shows are mainly focused on, doesn't have an episode.

If they are going a 5 man roundtable of notable stars from that territory for each show, they are really going to struggle with Portland, Stampede and World Class.

• Like 3